Multi-Fit PRS Case Key

Em7

deus ex machina
I discovered that Gibson included the wrong set of keys for my R7 as I was finishing up packing for my move today, so I decided to try all of the case keys I have collected over the years. Surprisingly, the multi-fit case key locks and unlocks a Gibson Custom LP case. That kind of took me by surprise because a PRS key has never worked for any case other than a PRS case.

Interesting!

I wonder whether several case manufacturers buy the lock and latch mechanisms from the same supplier?

As a side note, in the '90s and early '00s, PRS Artist cases came with combination locks and spring latches. They had a red plastic insert to prevent the combination from being set until the owner decided to pull them out and set the combination.

What made me think of this is that the travel case for my BAE 1073 mic preamp came with the same latches, with the same red insert, but the case was absolutely made by PRS' current case manufacturer, not their old one.

Not that I ever lock my cases, I have no need to. Just thought it was interesting. To your point, I'd guess that both companies bought their hardware from the same supplier.

I subscribe to the belief that locks only stop the honest people. For the dishonest, I adhere to severe corporal punishment...survivors can then be prosecuted.

I subscribe to the belief that locks only stop the honest people. For the dishonest, I adhere to severe corporal punishment...survivors can then be prosecuted.
If you have curious children who you're worried might think of the guitar as a toy to bang around on, the locks probably keep them out of your guitars. Other than that, yeah, not very useful.

If you have curious children who you're worried might think of the guitar as a toy to bang around on, the locks probably keep them out of your guitars. Other than that, yeah, not very useful.
I left a guitar in an unlocked case at rehearsal many years ago. Next week when its time to jam open the case and it was a 5 stringer. Kids had investigated and toyed...and admitted it after mild interrogation.

No one had spare strings so I went with it, and never left a guitar behind again. Still don't lock the cases either :)

Well, it is a multi fit case key after all… who knows what else you can unlock with it ;)

Not having children around leaves me a tad careless that way, and forgetful of tempting little hands and fingers.
All I have to worry about is our cats, and as soon as they see/hear the power switch on the amp they vanish...might say something about my playing?:oops:

Back