MT15 volume pot swap anyone?

Goran Lorencin

As much as I like my MT15, I must say that the lead channel volume pot function is awful and should be changed in the future. When you come to 1/4 it is almost max volume and all other is saturation (much like the gain knob, but I can live with that as I also use effect pedals on clean channel or dial it low, and you even want that option on the gain channel).

So a question ... has anyone done a volume pot swap? Or do you just do a preamp tube swap (for example a 12at7 instead of 12ax7) and do not bother with the volume pot? I really think that a different kind of volume pot would do the amp good.

Cheers!

Since the volume is interactive with the gain, it will work like that. Turn the gain way down, and you can turn the volume up more, and vice-versa.

Since the volume is interactive with the gain, it will work like that. Turn the gain way down, and you can turn the volume up more, and vice-versa.
I know that, thanks, but if I want to have more gain I can not play silently or at a lower volume ... I can also turn down the pickup volume on the guitar to help, but in the end the knob is just to sensitive as it has the small diameter pot and those are always harder to dial in compared to the big ones.

I started using the level fader on the EQ pedal to lower the overall volume and vuala! Sort of an attenuator :) and does the job very efficiently, and it is also an EQ, it does put a pinch of hum in the signal, but very little. All for 35 euros.

I know someone mentioned having an amp tech do that a while back. Would be a great mod, IMO. Love the amp as I do, I’m not really sure why they didn’t include a more useable MV right from the factory.

I
I know someone mentioned having an amp tech do that a while back. Would be a great mod, IMO. Love the amp as I do, I’m not really sure why they didn’t include a more useable MV right from the factory.
I think I know why Andy, cutting cost everywhere possible, but it's a solid base you can start with hahaha ... and maybe a bit of having "that sound".
But it can be so much more. Be it amps or guitars, it oftentimes happens that manufacturers/designers cut corners where it is not needed and it does not justify its purpose. But that is just the nature of capitalism and it is our duty to be artistically creative to go around that and make the best outta it ;)

A while ago I started building myself a sort of a solid guitarist setup, from the guitar, to cables, to power conditioning, to pedals, to the speaker ... and it is not until you yourself start fiddling with components, then you are able to really hear what is and isn't a part of the sound you want coming out of your speakers, and most importantly how you want your gear to function and feel. And sometimes I have judged to fast about why some component did or did not do what I think it should have been doing, but sometimes we get stuck in that state of mind and forget to see simple solutions to our problems like using an EQ with level control to lower the output before amp input, and for 30-40 bucks you have a volume pot solution ... although, if PRS threw another 2 bucks in the production cost of the MT15, they could easily charge 10 bucks more, and they would have made 8 more bucks and we would save 20 and be crazy satisfied out of the box ;) ... so PRS, in the future, don't cut cost where it really matters not to cut cost. But still, it's a beast ... maybe Mr.Threehills wanted it that way, who knows :D
... although ... yesterday I connected my GK 250ML to the 2x12 cab after a long time and man do I also love that little tank. And they are both sort of similar size and weight. So my guitarist corner is slowly getting a shape of its own.

just curious what the value of the pot has to do with cost cutting.

While the huge volume jump is a noted issue for many, and so I'm allowing for the fact that they could have chosen a better pot value, the more gain an amp has, the harder it is to get the perfect value for any user. There was a Mesa model that used to be known for this as well, and Randall himself said that when you had that much gain, it's hard to find the right value for everyone because if one guy uses the gain way down, and another uses it way up, the spot on the volume knob where it gets loud is different and maybe way different, as is the transition from reasonable to loud.

That said, when an amp is high gain, I think it's reasonable to assume most will use it that way and choose a pot that allows a smoother transition, and a better range of usable volume levels before it really gets loud. IMHO

just curious what the value of the pot has to do with cost cutting.

While the huge volume jump is a noted issue for many, and so I'm allowing for the fact that they could have chosen a better pot value, the more gain an amp has, the harder it is to get the perfect value for any user. There was a Mesa model that used to be known for this as well, and Randall himself said that when you had that much gain, it's hard to find the right value for everyone because if one guy uses the gain way down, and another uses it way up, the spot on the volume knob where it gets loud is different and maybe way different, as is the transition from reasonable to loud.

That said, when an amp is high gain, I think it's reasonable to assume most will use it that way and choose a pot that allows a smoother transition, and a better range of usable volume levels before it really gets loud. IMHO
Well, IMO there must have been a debate about how the prototype behaved before mass production, and would think you would want a more linear response from MV knob with a better taper, so you could use it in the "bedroom" much more easily and still reach the same max volume and saturation (it is 2021)... so I presume that it must have been something like: "We have a good offer for 1/2 million of these and there is no research and testing needed, they'll just have to do" ... because if that was intentional then either they wanted to fill just a specific niche for a specific reason or they just don't want to sell as much amps as they could. But ok, I am still waiting for my tubes to arrive, to see if they'll tame the beast and maybe make it more finely adjustable.

Well, IMO there must have been a debate about how the prototype behaved before mass production, and would think you would want a more linear response from MV knob with a better taper, so you could use it in the "bedroom" much more easily and still reach the same max volume and saturation (it is 2021)... so I presume that it must have been something like: "We have a good offer for 1/2 million of these and there is no research and testing needed, they'll just have to do" ... because if that was intentional then either they wanted to fill just a specific niche for a specific reason or they just don't want to sell as much amps as they could. But ok, I am still waiting for my tubes to arrive, to see if they'll tame the beast and maybe make it more finely adjustable.
Although, maybe MT wanted it to be played hard or not at all! :D

Although, maybe MT wanted it to be played hard or not at all! :D
Actually, what I wondered was, did Mark just turn it above that spot every time and not really notice this issue since he was never trying to play it quietly. He's obviously spent time with the amp. I think it may be a case of a pro always being in a position to turn it up loud enough that this wasn't noticed, or at least not as a concern.

Hard to tell. And as I said, I've heard enough people complain about it to believe it needs to be changed. I was just saying that the cost of one pot vs. another wouldn't have been a factor in choosing this value.

Actually, what I wondered was, did Mark just turn it above that spot every time and not really notice this issue since he was never trying to play it quietly. He's obviously spent time with the amp. I think it may be a case of a pro always being in a position to turn it up loud enough that this wasn't noticed, or at least not as a concern.

Hard to tell. And as I said, I've heard enough people complain about it to believe it needs to be changed. I was just saying that the cost of one pot vs. another wouldn't have been a factor in choosing this value.

Yes, could be, that is what I meant with going for the sound, and we all know what MT sound is ... but still, common sense should prevail. And another thing, the amp which MT is known for playing is the Dual Rectifier Mesa, and the volume taper is quite similar, 1/3 of the way in and you're near max volume and he modelled the MT15 with Mesa in mind, so ... technicians here we come;)

If anyone else does swap their MV pot out, I think many of us would appreciate knowing what new pot you use and if you do the mod yourself, what is involved!

If anyone else does swap their MV pot out, I think many of us would appreciate knowing what new pot you use and if you do the mod yourself, what is involved!
10 years ago I would have asked you guys what pot was in it, got a schematic and suggested what pot to use instead. But I've forgotten most of that stuff after not doing it for 10 years or so.

Mark has said the taper on the MT100 is supposed to be a lot better. When the heck is that thing gonna ever come out???:mad:
Well ... I`m not going to buy another amp because of volume pot taper, that would be ridiculous! Do I look like I can afford buying amps on a whim?! No sir, let us fix the one I have ;) but I must say that with the 4 cable method it is very simple to tame the beast with just an EQ`s level fader, does just what the pot should do.

Does anyone know what pot to put in instead of the original? Has anyone done it? Asking for 1st hand experience.
:) Look at TGP. There was a guy there that said he was taking his to a tech to have that changed and another thing or two done. I never did see his thread again afterwards and that was months ago. Try searching for it there.

Back