MT15 foot switch mod?

claythomas

Nothing but the best!
Hi all,
After gigging with this amp I wondered if it was possible to modify the pedal with an led to show which channel the amp was in....

I’ve read about this before, but i can’t remember for sure where. I think maybe here…. I’d do a search

I think this is what DTR was talking about.
I’m sure Em7 can help you out with this.

With respect to the 2-Channel "H," it is a solid amp that was stepping stone from the single-channel designs with which Doug Sewell had a made a name. It is definitely "Tweed" in design.

I posted a mod that I created for the amp after Experience 2012. People wanted a footswitch that had LEDs. Doug's LED footswitch was a first-order design, that is, it contained a battery that powered the LEDs. The problem is that the amp uses relays for switching. It is a very pure approach to switching, but the way that the jack is wired lacks the ability to power LEDs because all of the switches do is connect the negative terminal of each relay to V- on the relay supply (the 2-Channel Custom sends V+ and V- out the pedal using a DIN connector). My mod involved using two logic-level power MOSFETs to connect the V- terminal on the relays to V- on the relay power supply electronically, which freed the footswitch TRS jack up for rewiring. I tapped V+ on the relay power supply and connected it to the shield terminal on the TRS jack. V+ was sent out to the pedal. The switches then controlled LEDs that were wired in series between the switches on the footswitch and the gates on the MOSFETS. The beauty of the design is that the relay power supply supplies enough voltage to handle an LED forward drop and still have enough voltage to turn each logic-level MOSFET completely on. The LEDs operate in parallel with respect to the V+ voltage supply, so there is never more than one forward voltage drop between V+ and the gates of the MOSFETs.

Or check around here: https://www.loop-master.com/

I have not seen the inside of an MT15, but if it uses relay-based switching, then a mod like I created for the 2-Channel will provide LED-based footswitching without having to install a battery in the footswitch. My mod also works if a non-LED-based pedal is inserted into the footswitch jack. However, it does take a specially wired LED footswitch.

I have not seen the inside of an MT15, but if it uses relay-based switching, then a mod like I created for the 2-Channel will provide LED-based footswitching without having to install a battery in the footswitch. My mod also works if a non-LED-based pedal is inserted into the footswitch jack. However, it does take a specially wired LED footswitch.
This is the above mentioned mod?

Yes, I created the mod after Experience 2012. People were asking Doug for a footswitch that had LEDs. Doug's LED footswitch design required a battery. I went home, thought about the problem for an evening, and came up with the mod.

Last edited:
It is not simple plug-and-plug solution. The mod was tailored to the 2-Channel "C" and "H." You have to rewire the footswitch jack, insert a small circuit board, and tap the relay power supply for V+. If the MT15 uses relays, then a similar solution could be developed.

Well, I'm continuing this project. I have a 3pdtswitch with a 2 color led ring(blue/red) that I need a wiring diagram for. I've emailed the parts supplier but haven't heard back yet. Google-search has basically been useless as everything that populates is for an effects pedal not an amp channel switcher. I've tried a few pedal builder forums, too, but, apparently no one has tried something like this yet...I just can't believe this is a unique situation. Maybe PRS could figure this out and offer it in the accessory department.

Back