MT15 effects loop question

Chasingpro

I recently picked up a PRS MT15 head. I have tried to plug into the effects loop and every time I connect any pedal the amp goes to full volume and completely negates the preamp gain. I have tried with several different cables and I am plugged into the send and return. What could it be?

What pedals are you trying to plug into the loop?

and these are normally functioning pedals and cables that work fine in the loops of other amps?

Yep, literally right out of the box yesterday. They work just define in front of the amp. As soon as I plug into the loop though things go to hell.

If you’re running drives or compressors in the loop, that’s probably your issue. The signal running through your effects loop is much hotter than coming from your guitar and will instantly overload any gain stage pedal like that, really you should put those in front of the amp, and save the loop for time based effects and perhaps modulation. Or, if you want to run a preamp drive pedal into the MT15 power amp, you would want to run your guitar into the pedal and then the pedal into the effects return only.

Have you tried simply plugging a single cable directly into the send and return? If the amp works properly doing so, it’s a pedal issue.

Apologies if I’m misunderstanding your issue.

If you’re running drives or compressors in the loop, that’s probably your issue. The signal running through your effects loop is much hotter than coming from your guitar and will instantly overload any gain stage pedal like that, really you should put those in front of the amp, and save the loop for time based effects and perhaps modulation. Or, if you want to run a preamp drive pedal into the MT15 power amp, you would want to run your guitar into the pedal and then the pedal into the effects return only.

Have you tried simply plugging a single cable directly into the send and return? If the amp works properly doing so, it’s a pedal issue.

Apologies if I’m misunderstanding your issue.
I was just seeing if they would work or if I was going to have the same issue. Realistically I just wanted the gate the FX loop with the 4 cable method to get rid of the hum. It is extremely loud with any sort of gain, more so than any other tube amp I’ve owned.

Back