MT15 Driving me nuts

Rooster7six

Ok. So I have an MT15 and if I turn the volume to 8 o'clock or higher it has a really loud squeal while I'm pressing down on the strings. It does it on my fishman modern loaded guitar, an EMG loaded guitar, Nazgul loaded guitar . I have a Gibson V with a burstbucker 3 and it's not too bad and I have a JB loaded guitar that I potted myself that doesn't have a lot of noise. Today I bought a Mogami Gold cable and went straight into the amp. Still does it . I had put all tung-sol 12AX7's in the pre and a 12AT7 in the phase inverter. Pulled em all put the JJ's back in same ****. I have EHX EL34's in the power section but haven't messed with those yet . Any ideas?

Happens only with a guitar plugged in? If so, it’s pickups feeding back, first things to do are move out of the direct path of your speakers, and/or reduce the amount of gain from the amp.

Happens only with a guitar plugged in? If so, it’s pickups feeding back, first things to do are move out of the direct path of your speakers, and/or reduce the amount of gain from the amp.

It's only when the guitars are plugged in .I'm plugged in with 18' of cable and as far away as possible, even went around the corner from my bedroom. The gain is around 11 o'clock, thats pretty low. I've had many amps, all high gain and never had this issue .

Could it be a valve that's gone microphonic? As the EL34s are the only ones that you haven't swapped it sounds like the next task is to change those.

Could it be a valve that's gone microphonic? As the EL34s are the only ones that you haven't swapped it sounds like the next task is to change those.

For sure. I have a couple more and some 6l6's guess that will be the next step . But since it doesnt do it without a guitar plugged in i dunno. i wonder if something electronic could be causing it? Like a TV?

Buzz and hum caused by a TV or something else electrical, sure, but I've not come across squealing from that. Squealing suggests feedback/something microphonic and you seem to have ruled out pickups by using several guitars

How was it with the original power tubes? Did it just start after the EL34s were installed?
Side question:

You can put EL34 power tubes in the MT15 amp?

I did not realize this at all!

I assume a full re-biasing needs to happen 1st. What does it change in sound & feel compared to the 6L6’s?

I’m a fan of EL34 amps in general, but love the sound of the 6L6’s in this amp & wanted a different flavor overall.

Thanks, X

Side question:

I assume a full re-biasing needs to happen 1st. What does it change in sound & feel compared to the 6L6’s?

I’m a fan of EL34 amps in general, but love the sound of the 6L6’s in this amp & wanted a different flavor overall.

Thanks, X

I am almost positive that someone on the forum reached out to Doug about this, and was told you could put EL34s in it. Bias was 30 +/- 5, iirc

How was it with the original power tubes? Did it just start after the EL34s were installed?
This is a great question.

Did ayou have the issue w/ the stock tunes & these guitars?

Have you been playing the amp out or moving it around a lot?

I don’t remember if I ever cranked it up. And then I moved it down into my master bedroom so there were a lot of changes in a short time.

Side question:

Thanks, X

If you have a meter it takes one min! Super easy. The EL34’s sound great! I think you get a little more mids and growl. Still has plenty of low end.

This is a great question.

Did ayou have the issue w/ the stock tunes & these guitars?

Have you been playing the amp out or moving it around a lot?

I’ve pretty much had it at home so far. There were no issues with the tubes I just think the Tung-Sols sound much better. Tried Russian JJ’s, EHX, and Sovtek LPS’s. Tung-Sols won out

I'd certainly start by going back to stock or at least different tubes and see what happens.

I'd certainly start by going back to stock or at least different tubes and see what happens.

I've put in all stock tubes, put in a different set of EL34's, stock 6l6's and finally Tung-sol 6l6GCSTR's and a different speaker cable. Not sure what else I can do.

But I did discover that the Tung-sol 6l6's are my favorite. They make the amp sound meaner to me

Sounds like your pickups/guitar is causing the squeal...super hot pickups and high gain levels/volume are going to cause squealing...make sure your pickups are securely mounted (so they can't vibrate) and you're probably going to have to lower the pickup height a bit if they are high output, and lower your gain settings. Tons of gain on tap with these amps...

Sounds like your pickups/guitar is causing the squeal...super hot pickups and high gain levels/volume are going to cause squealing...make sure your pickups are securely mounted (so they can't vibrate) and you're probably going to have to lower the pickup height a bit if they are high output, and lower your gain settings. Tons of gain on tap with these amps...

Yeah the Fishman moderns seem to be the worst. I just sold a dual rectifier multi-watt and had none if these issues . But i guess I didn't have to push the power section hard to get these same volumes . This amp probably is higher gain . I'll definitely try to lower the pups. Thanks for the advice!

20181028_213746.jpg
20181028_213746.jpg

Gain settings... STILL squealing

Back