MT15 Disapointment

scruffy

Over a year ago my MT15 went bang just out of warranty .Traced fault to output transformer so contacted PRS to be told they are on order from China and not available to supply and as PRS dont have stock they cant replace!!!!!!!
So over a year later I am still waiting for an output transformer and PRS are saying they are on their way.....Was told they were on a boat over 7 months ago heading for us but nothing.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this???
I realise they are made in China under licence for PRS but to leave customers with knackered expensive gear for 14 months now I feel is unacceptable Never experienced this before the guys in Cambridge have always been mega helpful but ive had 14 months of excuses the boat must have oars to take this long. So im really losing faith now any advice anyone by the way im in the UK

My daughter was quoted 6 months for a new Whirlpool dishwasher, when they were having a complete kitchen renovation bids done. 3 months later that work was almost done and her husband installed a new heating coil in the old one just so they could re-install it to finish the kitchen, while they waited for the new one. 1 year from order has now passed and their new dishwasher is still not in.

I hate this, especially for people for whom it might be their only amp, but this is the crap we deal with every day now, thanks to Covid, China and Putin. My wife and I have been trying to buy a new car now for over a year. But I won't buy in a "you have to buy whatever is coming in, without driving it, without seeing it first, before it gets here, regardless of your color/option choices because every one is sold weeks before they get here" market. If I can't have what I want, I will wait. If it doesn't correct by the time it becomes a need, then I'll buy something else.

It SUCKS! But it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over a year ago my MT15 went bang just out of warranty .Traced fault to output transformer so contacted PRS to be told they are on order from China and not available to supply and as PRS dont have stock they cant replace!!!!!!!
So over a year later I am still waiting for an output transformer and PRS are saying they are on their way.....Was told they were on a boat over 7 months ago heading for us but nothing.
I realise they are made in China under licence for PRS but to leave customers with knackered expensive gear for 14 months now I feel is unacceptable Never experienced this before the guys in Cambridge have always been mega helpful but ive had 14 months of excuses the boat must have oars to take this long. So im really losing faith now any advice anyone by the way im in the UK

See from minute 20 in this video, he reads 5 years warranty. If so prs uk should give you another amp to use, in my opinion anyway.

Short answer: not before the last couple of years. Things are messed up.

I expect they literally cannot get what they need to make it right. I understand your frustration, but this is worldwide problem hitting everybody somehow.

Basically anything that's manufactured and put on a ship these days is suffering unbelievable delays. If the factory is operating, there may or may not be truck drivers to take it to the port. At the port, there may or may not be a ship available. Check back in a couple of weeks. When the ship gets to port, some of them are waiting months offshore to get in. If they get into port, there aren't enough dock workers to get the ships unloaded. Then there's the truck driver problem again.

It's literally been that bad for a year or two now. I tried to buy a freezer in 2020. It was 9 months late. I buy multi-million dollar computer systems at work. The one I bought 2 years ago was 9 months late. The one I'm still trying to get is at least 5 months late because they can't get certain parts.

14 months you say?!? You could have built one yourself in this time. I feel your pain man. Luckily I have a trusty GK 250ML combo amp at hand which can also drive my 2x12 ... I suggest you buy one for times like these and you will sleep much better till the ships arive.

But what really do you gain with that? In my opinion the amp sounds awesome and is pretty loud as is, crazy loud to be honest. But the idea of putting another OT in is quite resonable, it is not as if the original OT is anything special or?
1- Even better tone (upgraded OT and more voltage)
2- An amp that works

If it's out of warranty, why let it sit and wait for a lesser OT anyway? buy a better one and get the amp working!

1- Even better tone (upgraded OT and more voltage)
2- An amp that works

If it's out of warranty, why let it sit and wait for a lesser OT anyway? buy a better one and get the amp working!
1 - but is it though? I would have to hear a side by side comparisson to be certain. I am very pleased with the tone of my little beast. I have put a 5751 in, but that is all.
2 - Agree, the amp has to work ;) although there are plenty of OT that could be used, of equal or bigger power. But I have read that you would have to do a bit more work than just swapping the OT to come to 50W. Regarding power ... everybody is telling me to lower the volume wherever I practise, the MT15 can be crazy loud with "15"W imho.

1 - but is it though? I would have to hear a side by side comparisson to be certain. I am very pleased with the tone of my little beast. I have put a 5751 in, but that is all.
2 - Agree, the amp has to work ;) although there are plenty of OT that could be used, of equal or bigger power. But I have read that you would have to do a bit more work than just swapping the OT to come to 50W. Regarding power ... everybody is telling me to lower the volume wherever I practise, the MT15 can be crazy loud with "15"W imho.
There IS more you have to do to get it to 50 watts. But not a lot. And, the 50 watts is not to make it louder. But even though I think they spec'd a decent tranny here, I'm pretty sure there is a Classic Tone that would sound a bit better.

There IS more you have to do to get it to 50 watts. But not a lot. And, the 50 watts is not to make it louder. But even though I think they spec'd a decent tranny here, I'm pretty sure there is a Classic Tone that would sound a bit better.
And here we come to taste and sound preference, in our parts we say "100 people, 100 wonders" ... MT15 is what it is, I do not want to make it into something it is not, I do not expect it to sound like a 1965 Fender Deluxe. The Classic Tone you are talking about is a figment of our audio imagination, it might be awesome to you, but not to the next person, it is very subjective. A great guitar tone is not the same for a guy playing Pantera and the guy playing Steely Dan, you see where I'm going? It depends on what sound you are aspiring to. Because of that I am saying that for me it is good enough, sound wise and power wise, and I'm not saying that one day I wouldn't try a power upgrade myself ;)

And here we come to taste and sound preference, in our parts we say "100 people, 100 wonders" ... MT15 is what it is, I do not want to make it into something it is not, I do not expect it to sound like a 1965 Fender Deluxe. The Classic Tone you are talking about is a figment of our audio imagination, it might be awesome to you, but not to the next person, it is very subjective. A great guitar tone is not the same for a guy playing Pantera and the guy playing Steely Dan, you see where I'm going? It depends on what sound you are aspiring to. Because of that I am saying that for me it is good enough, sound wise and power wise, and I'm not saying that one day I wouldn't try a power upgrade myself ;)
I know what you're saying, but I'm not talking about a transformer that completely changes the sound, I'm talking about one that is just "better."

That's really not double talk, although it may come off that way. A similar spec'd Classic Tone will almost always sound better than a garden variety OT, no matter how you are using the amp.

I'm not referring to things like changing a small "saggy" OT to a big "headroom" version, or a wider spectrum OT to a rolled off one like the Cinemag. I'm just referring to a high quality, similar spec model. In this case, going with the one Matt used would allow for the 50 watt conversion so that's what I'd use. I can't swear (without researching the specs) that that OT would direct drop in with no other mods though. I'd check that before recommending it. My thought was, if you have to replace it and can't get stock, get better!

I know what you're saying, but I'm not talking about a transformer that completely changes the sound, I'm talking about one that is just "better."

That's really not double talk, although it may come off that way. A similar spec'd Classic Tone will almost always sound better than a garden variety OT, no matter how you are using the amp.

I'm not referring to things like changing a small "saggy" OT to a big "headroom" version, or a wider spectrum OT to a rolled off one like the Cinemag. I'm just referring to a high quality, similar spec model. In this case, going with the one Matt used would allow for the 50 watt conversion so that's what I'd use. I can't swear (without researching the specs) that that OT would direct drop in with no other mods though. I'd check that before recommending it. My thought was, if you have to replace it and can't get stock, get better!
Agree, though it would be useful to see/hear a side by side comparison so that I could hear the difference.

Back