MT15 can use KT77 & EL34 & 6V6 & 6CA7also?

LedHendriani

A site shows these tubes as being able to put into the MT15 and are selling them as such...

Is that with or with modifications?

Of course a rebias must be done where needed...

But is it just plug (bias) and play???

Is Eurotubes the site in question? They have good prices and selection, but their technical advice is often a bit dodgy and/or warranty-voiding.

FWIW, I've put JJ 6V6s in an Archon 50 (i.e. not an MT15 but close) before. It works -- as in, it makes noise and nothing melts, catches on fire, or explodes -- because the JJ6V6s have voltage ratings more like a 6L6, but it also cuts quite a bit of volume and bass.

Yes that is the site. Did not want to maybe get thrown out (being a newbie here) by stating another site' name!

Plug and play after a quick bias. Put EL34L's in mine and love it. Multimeter and a jewelers philips is all you need. BTW just enough clearance in the chassis for the tubes.

With my Carvin MT3212, there is a switch to choose between 6L6GC/5881 or EL34...

How is the MT15 able to do this minus the switch without causing failure???

Plug and play after a quick bias. Put EL34L's in mine and love it. Multimeter and a jewelers philips is all you need. BTW just enough clearance in the chassis for the tubes.
I am looking to swap in some EL34s for my MT15. I have never set the bias on an amp, but I understand where the multi-meter comes into play. Could you describe the process for this amp, and where you set the bias for the EL34s?

Measure the voltage from bias to gnd. It will give you a voltage that corresponds to current. 1mV = 1mA. Set the new tubes to the same amount. Just as a guess I expect you’ll see something in the range of 20mV to 30mV.

Sweet! Thank you for the reply. Going to load up the EL34s tonight and see how it sounds/feels.

To all. Not knowing the physical circuit, I would not put EL-34s in there. The heater current is quite a bit higher for an El-34 than a 6L6. You may get by for a bit, but, I would call Mat King at PRS.

That said, 6V6 or 6CA7s should work as a lot of the newer versions have better tolerances.

Back