MT15 and 5751 in V2

BrianC

more toys than talent
So the tube finally came in! I spent about 2 hours putting in several different types in V2.

All of the tubes gave the amp a new and different personality.

If I played more clean stuff or was more talented I would certainly like the 5751 but it was not for ME.
The Mullard was loose and hot with gain very fun and my #1 choice at first.
A Tungsol was also VERY different like the 5751 was but again not for ME.
The JJ that it came with was right down the middle. I also had another JJ that I went back and forth with the original and it won out as the #1.

The amp now is almost perfect with the EL34s and the perfect tube in V2. I do wish I could reduce some of the tightness ( I know that is the opposite of how the amp was designed!).

It's Killer!!

I found the same thing playing with tubes - the JJ has the most robust bass response, both in amount and also having a “looser” feel. Not a night and day difference, but noticeable.

BC, what settings are you using on the amp now?

What differences did you notice with EL34's? Really cool it can take both 34's and 6L6. Got mine yesterday and I'm totally impressed with this little thing.

What differences did you notice with EL34's? Really cool it can take both 34's and 6L6. Got mine yesterday and I'm totally impressed with this little thing.

A bit less modern a bit less Mesa - a bit more classic rock a bit more Marshall. Still mostly the same, subtle but worthwhile change.

BC, what settings are you using on the amp now?

I don't think I have found the perfect setting. The other thing is that it may change depending on how loud I am playing.

I am really considering changing the tone stack. I have had this done on other amps and it is fairly cheap and easy to do.

Back