MT15 ‘Combo’

prs19

i thought about buying one of these killer looking/sounding amps and designing a combo format shell for it. What would you guys think of that?

i thought about buying one of these killer looking/sounding amps and designing a combo format shell for it. What would you guys think of that?

I think that would be killer! It's a compact chassis, you would probably want to make it bigger than the footprint of the head itself, just to give the cabinet some size and keep
It from being boxy sounding. The only issue would be the the control panel being upside down, if you front mounted tubes down. Open or closed back, depending on your preference, it would be a great amp either way.

I think combo vs head really comes down to preferences or need. I could make either work but with my current situation it’s easiest to grab the gig bag and a combo instead of two pieces for an amp.

I was just curious what people would think of a conversion shell being designed for one. I hope it didn’t come across as complaining as that was nowhere near my intent.

I think combo vs head really comes down to preferences or need. I could make either work but with my current situation it’s easiest to grab the gig bag and a combo instead of two pieces for an amp.

I was just curious what people would think of a conversion shell being designed for one. I hope it didn’t come across as complaining as that was nowhere near my intent.
No, not at all. But for several years, many clamored here (including me!) for a 25 watt head. I even held off on buying the 50 watt head, hoping that if enough people kept asking, they'd release a 25 watt head. And now we know why. If the MT is only a head and the 25 watt Archon is only a combo then in theory, they don't "compete" with each other, where if both were available each way, they would.

I'm so into the Archon now that I've kicked myself in the rear end many times for passing on a STEAL deal on a brand new purple tan combo that was traded in at a local store... DANG SPEAKER!

Last edited by a moderator:

Not at all. I just noticed the symmetry. And as DTR noted, he complained. A lot. Seriously.

No, not at all. But for several years, many clamored here (including me!) for a 25 watt head. I even held off on buying the 50 watt head, hoping that if enough people kept asking, they'd release a 25 watt head. And now we know why. If the MT is only a head and the 25 watt Archon is only a combo then in theory, they don't "compete" with each other, were if both were available each way, they would.

I'm so into the Archon now that I've kicked myself in the rear end many times for passing on a STEAL deal on a brand new purple tan combo that was traded in at a local store... DANG SPEAKER!

Told you so! :p

Not at all. I just noticed the symmetry. And as DTR noted, he complained. A lot. Seriously.
I thought it was more like begging than complaining... hmm, I may have just reached a milestone of understanding in married life as well, due to a guitar amp thread!!!! :p:p:p

Told you so! :p
But seriously... that speaker... :(

I mean, to be fair, who knows. Maybe broken in it sounds good with the combo. I have played the Archon head with 5 different cabs and 4 different speaker types and it sounds better with all of them than the combo did.

Back