MT15 ‘Combo’

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by prs19, Jul 19, 2018.

1. prs19

prs19 New Member

i thought about buying one of these killer looking/sounding amps and designing a combo format shell for it. What would you guys think of that?

2. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I think that would be killer! It's a compact chassis, you would probably want to make it bigger than the footprint of the head itself, just to give the cabinet some size and keep
    It from being boxy sounding. The only issue would be the the control panel being upside down, if you front mounted tubes down. Open or closed back, depending on your preference, it would be a great amp either way.

3. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

Stick it in an archon 25 cab

4. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules New and improved member

Yep, you might get lucky and find someone that got the Archon 25 and converted it to a head, like I thought about doing.

5. elvis

It's interesting that there was nothing but complaints over the lack of a head version of the Archon 25, and now that this essentially exists, there is a desire for a combo.

LSchefman and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  6. prs19

prs19 New Member

I think combo vs head really comes down to preferences or need. I could make either work but with my current situation it’s easiest to grab the gig bag and a combo instead of two pieces for an amp.

I was just curious what people would think of a conversion shell being designed for one. I hope it didn’t come across as complaining as that was nowhere near my intent.

7. DreamTheaterRules

No, not at all. But for several years, many clamored here (including me!) for a 25 watt head. I even held off on buying the 50 watt head, hoping that if enough people kept asking, they'd release a 25 watt head. And now we know why. If the MT is only a head and the 25 watt Archon is only a combo then in theory, they don't "compete" with each other, where if both were available each way, they would.

I'm so into the Archon now that I've kicked myself in the rear end many times for passing on a STEAL deal on a brand new purple tan combo that was traded in at a local store... DANG SPEAKER!

#7 DreamTheaterRules, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    bodia and elvis like this.
  8. elvis

Not at all. I just noticed the symmetry. And as DTR noted, he complained. A lot. Seriously.

9. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Told you so! :p

10. DreamTheaterRules

I thought it was more like begging than complaining... hmm, I may have just reached a milestone of understanding in married life as well, due to a guitar amp thread!!!! :p:p:p

elvis likes this.
  11. DreamTheaterRules

But seriously... that speaker... :(

I mean, to be fair, who knows. Maybe broken in it sounds good with the combo. I have played the Archon head with 5 different cabs and 4 different speaker types and it sounds better with all of them than the combo did.

bodia likes this.