MT 15

Yep! The local shop has a sister online site, and I could see thy had one in the warehouse... called to see if they had one in store and they had just unpacked it before I called, so I had them hold it for me. Feel like I won the lottery, lots of pre orders are still a while out!

I'm gonna go dilly dally with mine again this evening. I didn't have a problem running my board all into the front end, but when I split the time based effects into the loop and drives in front, it hums like a bad ground connection. Strangely enough, only when the guitar input is plugged in from the drive pedals. Loop plugged or unplugged, on its own, makes no difference. I have "kinda isolated" power on my board, the drive pedals are on a daisy chain, wondering if that has something to do with it. Also, when the lead channel gain is at 0, it has another sound like a bad ground connection. It's still present as the gain is increased, but the hiss from the gain stages (normal) covers it up.

If I can get the board grounding issue settled, my noise gate will mute that latter sound - and I will be using the gate, there's just too much white noise not to, which isn't a dig against the amp, it's just the way high gain amps are. The problem right now is that the gate will cover one hum, but my board adds the other, which defeats the purpose. I don't know if it's a problem with grounding in the amp, power in my house, or just the way it is with so much cascaded gain. I've never had a similar problem with my other high gain amps on the same plugs in my house though. If it is the amp, and PRS can trace it to one specific thing, I would love to just fix it with the ol soldering iron rather than spend money shipping and their time fixing.

I didn't do much trouble shooting when it first happened. Clean channel was fine. I didn't notice it until,I switched to the lead channel. We'll,see how things pan out this week with a reconstructed board,

I didn't do much trouble shooting when it first happened. Clean channel was fine. I didn't notice it until,I switched to the lead channel. We'll,see how things pan out this week with a reconstructed board,

Well, good news, bad news, for me. It seems my pedalboard is the source of the problem, I A/B'd with my Custom 50 and results were similar. Which is great for the sake of the amp! But not my board. Problem is, I was mostly using pedals into the clean channel of my Custom 50, so I just wasn't noticing it, and it's been a long time since I've used the board in an effects loop - I've changed power supplies and the physical board itself, not to mention pedals. So, this will be a fun rabbit hole.

Well, good news, bad news, for me. It seems my pedalboard is the source of the problem, I A/B'd with my Custom 50 and results were similar. Which is great for the sake of the amp! But not my board. Problem is, I was mostly using pedals into the clean channel of my Custom 50, so I just wasn't noticing it, and it's been a long time since I've used the board in an effects loop - I've changed power supplies and the physical board itself, not to mention pedals. So, this will be a fun rabbit hole.

In a similar situation myself (different amp). Trouble-shooting!

If you find a solution, do share, I’d be interested to know what you end up doing.

my house has multiple outlets in one room, that are on one circuit at the box. Makes loops more likely. I've got some loop noise, but nothing super annoying since I removed my MXR 10 band EQ from my loop. I could make that Custom 50 sound awesome with it in the loop but the noise was unbearable.

my house has multiple outlets in one room, that are on one circuit at the box. Makes loops more likely. I've got some loop noise, but nothing super annoying since I removed my MXR 10 band EQ from my loop. I could make that Custom 50 sound awesome with it in the loop but the noise was unbearable.

I have a feeling the buffer in my noise clamp is (ironically) part of the problem.

Also, I love playing guitar in our new-to-us house. The one with a washer and dryer, dishwasher, AC, dimmer lights, ceiling fans, coffee maker... you get the idea.

I have a feeling the buffer in my noise clamp is (ironically) part of the problem.

Also, I love playing guitar in our new-to-us house. The one with a washer and dryer, dishwasher, AC, dimmer lights, ceiling fans, coffee maker... you get the idea.

You need an isolated “man cave”! ;);)

I've been reading this forum for a while now, but I haven't posted anything until now.
Lucky little me got my MT15 on the second of May. I've only ever used multi effects boards and combo solid state amps so I didn't have a cab. Luckily the dude at my shop was a legend and lent me a Blackstar HT1x12! So I've been using that since I got it. I'm not sure what speakers in it, but it's a pretty alright sounding cab. I'm really excited for the MT1x12 though. The V30 and closed back should be nice. I'm super thankful to the shop for lending it to me for free though. If thats not amazing customer service than I don't know what is!

Anyways, the thing rips. Everyones been saying it's crazy loud and they're so right xD I've had some 2 and a half months with it already and I love it. I've not had the chance to crank it up with my band yet though. I've gotta take good care of the cab that I've gotta bring back, so I don't want to travel with it. For home use it's fricken loud. Quiet volumes sound awesome though! I've got a TS9 in the front for leads and a Joyo D-Seed delay in the loop. I'll slowly get a few more pedals to try but it takes delays really well.

I ordered mine February 1st. I'd already known about the MT15 for at least a year I think. I'm an avid Tremonti fan and he'd mentioned it a few times. When it was announced at namm it only took a few days to get mine ordered.
We were all expecting early April but that never happened. Mid April and nothing, and Late April came around I had seen one dude get his.
Only at the end of June were people really starting to get theirs... But it got mine in May along with a few others.
Whats up with that?? But hey, I ain't complaining! Just kinda odd...

I also noticed that with the ones that people are getting now, the chassis is a little different... Right above the controls where the front comes down, theres a pretty large gap on everyones. Mine it almost comes right down before it curves in. Obviously it doesn't matter at all, just something I noticed xD

So anyways, to those of us who are waiting on the cab, I have some information from PRS. I sent them an email yesterday and they got back to me this morning

I'd post the screenshot but I can't for some reason. So here's his response. I basically just said I got the head and I'm really happy with it, I noticed the ship date for the head got pushed back a whole bunch, and asked if that'll effect the ship date of the cab. I also asked for a general time they'll ship to retailers

"Hi Cal,

Thank you for writing PRS Guitars and congrats on your new MT15! The 2018 speaker cabinets should be arriving here at the factory the middle of next month and start shipping to dealers. Please contact your dealer for a delivery date as they would be in direct contact with their sales rep. I hope you find this information helpful.

Regards, "

So they're arriving at the factory mid August. I'd expect them to arrive to retailers in North America some time late August or early September. Other places I have no idea but some time around then...
I'm in Ontario Canada, so I'm relativley close. I'll keep everyone updated if I find out anything else!

Sounds like you got one of the prototypes that were shipped out for demos, and not supposed to be sold! Congrats!

As for posting pics, you have to upload to a third-party site like Imgur, and insert a direct link to the image (not the image page - so grab the "BBCode" if on Imgur, for example). If it doesn't already have "IMG" tags, insert those using the "Image" tool in the tool bar above where you type your post.

Well I need to buy a Cabinet for the MT-15 head. My son Needs something until the matching cab is out. Can you suggest a good cab in the 300 range. At the end of the day I don't mind having two cabs. Thanks.

Well I need to buy a Cabinet for the MT-15 head. My son Needs something until the matching cab is out. Can you suggest a good cab in the 300 range. At the end of the day I don't mind having two cabs. Thanks.

I recently had one of the newer Peavey 1x12 cabs loaded with a Greenback and it was great. They are $299 brand new. They also make the same cab with a V30 that matches the Classic Series amps so it’s tweed looking. Again, $299 new.

I'm in the market for a small amp but I'm really hung up on the China thing. Marshall released a line of amps which was made in ROC and they wound up having such a high failure rate that Marshall discontinued the line and stopped honoring their warranty outright. Which is too bad because I really like the concept of amps like the PRS Sonzera, the PRS MT15 and certain Egnater brand models, but they are all made in ROC.

I'm also spoiled to a certain degree because I love my PRS Dallas and my PRS Archon, which were both made an hour down the road from me. But, ultimately I think my next amp is going to wind up being another MB because I'll be able to check off more boxes on my personal list of requirements. But even with MB, like PRS, there are models I like and some that I don't. So maybe that's not a problem but rather, par for the course as they say.

I'm in the market for a small amp but I'm really hung up on the China thing. Marshall released a line of amps which was made in ROC and they wound up having such a high failure rate that Marshall discontinued the line and stopped honoring their warranty outright. Which is too bad because I really like the concept of amps like the PRS Sonzera, the PRS MT15 and certain Egnater brand models, but they are all made in ROC.

I'm also spoiled to a certain degree because I love my PRS Dallas and my PRS Archon, which were both made an hour down the road from me. But, ultimately I think my next amp is going to wind up being another MB because I'll be able to check off more boxes on my personal list of requirements. But even with MB, like PRS, there are models I like and some that I don't. So maybe that's not a problem but rather, par for the course as they say.

Bearing in mind PRS QC with their SE range (see the Toneking’s you tube vid with Jack Higginbotham), I don’t think they’re gonna let substandard products out to customers.

After sales customer service is top notch too!

I suspected the power supply...

You probably already know this, but just in case you’re in a hurry, the first thing to do is check it with a new power supply with fully isolated outlets, like a Voodoo Labs or other high quality box.

If there’s still hum, you’ll have to do the “disconnect one pedal at a time” thing, though I think you’ve bought high quality pedals, so I still suspect the power supply.

I went down that particular rabbit hole quite a few years ago, and after much pointless energy was expended, solved the noise problems with a Voodoo Labs box. The weird thing was that I was already using a high quality supply for its time, but the outlets were only isolated in banks of 3. So they weren’t fully iso’d. The VL supply was actually less expensive than the one I had.

I suspected the power supply...

You probably already know this, but just in case you’re in a hurry, the first thing to do is check it with a new power supply with fully isolated outlets, like a Voodoo Labs or other high quality box.

If there’s still hum, you’ll have to do the “disconnect one pedal at a time” thing, though I think you’ve bought high quality pedals, so I still suspect the power supply.

I went down that particular rabbit hole quite a few years ago, and after much pointless energy was expended, solved the noise problems with a Voodoo Labs box. The weird thing was that I was already using a high quality supply for its time, but the outlets were only isolated in banks of 3. So they weren’t fully iso’d. The VL supply was actually less expensive than the one I had.

I’ve narrowed it down to either the buffers in a few pedals, and/or the power supply. My main suspect is my noise gate, the MXR Noise Clamp, which is running on isolated power, but, it’s buffered and runs a 4-cable method of noise gating, which for me means the first pass through the pedal is the clean guitar signal, and the second is in the amp’s effects loop. I think there’s some kind of ground loop being created there, whether or not it has to do with the pedal being buffered or not, I’m not sure yet. Also the buffer in my Boss LS2 running in the loop seems to be adding some noise - I know how you like those Boss buffers!

My power supply is isolated, but I’m cheating, with some of the low draw drive pedals on a chain. I kind of built myself into a corner, because I got so much on that low profile board, that it’s hard to find a power supply that will physically fit underneath and have enough taps to supply all the pedals. But I’m looking, because I have that second board with fewer pedals, and if I can find something that will work better, the power supply on this board would be great for the other. I’ve tested just the line of daisy chained drive pedals on their own, and don’t get much noise there, but, again, the whole thing is a deep rabbit hole.

My power supply is isolated, but I’m cheating, with some of the low draw drive pedals on a chain. I kind of built myself into a corner, because I got so much on that low profile board, that it’s hard to find a power supply that will physically fit underneath and have enough taps to supply all the pedals. But I’m looking, because I have that second board with fewer pedals, and if I can find something that will work better, the power supply on this board would be great for the other. I’ve tested just the line of daisy chained drive pedals on their own, and don’t get much noise there, but, again, the whole thing is a deep rabbit hole.

If you have a daisy chain, any daisy chain, you’re inviting ground loops. Here’s the deal with ground loops: they’re not difficult to track down if you do it in a very organized way. It only takes one ground situation that the system doesn’t like to cause issues.

Worse, ground looped equipment not only makes noise, it makes the system more susceptible to EMI, RFI, etc. So it can act like an antenna for additional noise.

Also, buffers don’t create hums and buzzes. All they do is convert the signal to a lower impedance, which generally improves the noise floor. Unless your buffered pedals are defective, it ain’t the buffers.

OK, tracking down a ground loop is truly easy:

Very simple first test: Disconnect all the daisy-chained pedals from your pedal chain, both audio connections, and from the power supply, leaving everything else connected, and see if the noise is still there.

This assumes that your power supply is fully isolated and high quality. Obviously, I don’t know what power supply you’re using, but it would pay to have one of the best ones on the market, as opposed to one of the more compromised designs.

Anyhow, the daisy chain has gotta be the starting point, since it’s the most likely culprit and clearly defeats any grounding scheme in the power supply.

If you still get noise, disconnect one pedal at a time from both the power and audio chains until you find the offending pedal. Be patient; it’s a simple process of elimination.

If size is an issue, Strymon makes a very good power supply that’s quite small, low profile, has two outlets with switchable voltages, will itself daisy chain noiselessly with their smaller power supplies, and works just fine. It’s smaller, lighter, and lower-profile than anything I’ve seen so far.

Last edited:
OK, so of all things, I saw this on YouTube today, and it starts out with a discussion of noise and daisy chain issues. One of the points they make is to solve the power supply issues first.

Last edited:
Back