MT 15

The gain at the end of the clip is almost off and it was still very aggressive which means it's a little outside my wheelhouse. It's nice not to be tempted once in a while.

The gain knob is deceiving I thought it was on 1 as well. It's actually wide open
Watch the vid again you'll see him turn it back to noon and you Weill hear it noticeably decrease

The gain knob is deceiving I thought it was on 1 as well. It's actually wide open
Watch the vid again you'll see him turn it back to noon and you Weill hear it noticeably decrease

Good to know. Thanks

Dude, how loud do you play? 15 is plenty for small to medium venues. Throw a mic on that sucker and run it through the PA if need be.

Yeah, there's been a lot of back and forth elsewhere on this very topic in regard to the MT15. 15 watts can definitely be heard with a band, I've done it with a 1x12 cab, even with no PA, it can be heard if you build the rig right, but it's not going to be a tight, aggressive sound. And, yes, if a good PA and good sound guy are at your venue... let's just say I wouldn't be opposed to hauling the MT and a 1x12 to the gig, rather than a 2x12 cab and head, and get the right sounds. But, the sad reality is that a lot of seedy local joints have s#!tty PA systems, so in my experience that kind of system is used solely for the vocalist. If you're playing music in the style of Tremonti, and you don't have that high quality PA backing you, you may still be heard, but you won't get that tone, the sledgehammer lows and tight response. As the power section takes over, mids start to push more, bass gets less tight, softer feeling. Just like a bass amp needs a lot of power to push those lows and still punch. It's not a bad tone, by any means, it's just not that tone. Not to mention there really isn't enough headroom at 15 watts to stay clean and get anywhere near needed volume - there is a clean channel on that thing!

For that style of music, which I play, 50 watts has been good to have a little breathing room, 30 was borderline, definitely heard but starting to mush a little.

That's my take on it. I would love to be able to do 15 watts, believe me, I'm not a fan of hauling heavy gear!

Yeah, there's been a lot of back and forth elsewhere on this very topic in regard to the MT15. 15 watts can definitely be heard with a band, I've done it with a 1x12 cab, even with no PA, it can be heard if you build the rig right, but it's not going to be a tight, aggressive sound. And, yes, if a good PA and good sound guy are at your venue... let's just say I wouldn't be opposed to hauling the MT and a 1x12 to the gig, rather than a 2x12 cab and head, and get the right sounds. But, the sad reality is that a lot of seedy local joints have s#!tty PA systems, so in my experience that kind of system is used solely for the vocalist. If you're playing music in the style of Tremonti, and you don't have that high quality PA backing you, you may still be heard, but you won't get that tone, the sledgehammer lows and tight response. As the power section takes over, mids start to push more, bass gets less tight, softer feeling. Just like a bass amp needs a lot of power to push those lows and still punch. It's not a bad tone, by any means, it's just not that tone. Not to mention there really isn't enough headroom at 15 watts to stay clean and get anywhere near needed volume - there is a clean channel on that thing!

For that style of music, which I play, 50 watts has been good to have a little breathing room, 30 was borderline, definitely heard but starting to mush a little.

That's my take on it. I would love to be able to do 15 watts, believe me, I'm not a fan of hauling heavy gear!
I normally agree 100% with your statement. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds cranked up to that band volume. We haven't heard a low wattage amp like this with 6L6 tubes. A lot of that tube saturation, mid push and flub happens because most of those amps are running EL84 which just tend to do that when cranked up. This is a different ballgame and I have to think they went with 6L6's for good reason. We'll see.

Thanks for your take. Definitely can relate to crappy PA systems. I don't play heavy music, so you have different considerations than I do. For my blues and rock, what's bad for you (pushing power amp) is good for me. My band mate plays a 1x12, 17 watt amp and can still get clean as well as cut through. We're in different sonic worlds.

The gain at the end of the clip is almost off and it was still very aggressive which means it's a little outside my wheelhouse. It's nice not to be tempted once in a while.

I stand corrected you are right on this one he actually starts and ends the clip on 2 lol never goes above 6 from what I can see

I have a cornford Carrera. This can switch between 8 pin and 9 pin power valves (6l6 and el84). There is definitely a difference between how they react, with the el84 being much bouncier and squishier. The 6l6 setting (I actually tend to use a el34) is much smoother and doesn't tend to flub like the el84s do. Incidentally, it's about the 7 watt mark operating in single ended mode. Maybe they've just doubled this up to get the 15 watt mark?

I'm pretty sure it was all pedal free! It looks small enough to sneak into the house is a backpack. Just sayin'......

That's how I plan to get it past the wife. I want the cab too though, I think I'm going to need a very large backpack! Or perhaps I'll use the excuse I've been using with my LTD Iron cross for the last 2 years "it's a friends, he's just letting me borrow it"

I normally agree 100% with your statement. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds cranked up to that band volume. We haven't heard a low wattage amp like this with 6L6 tubes. A lot of that tube saturation, mid push and flub happens because most of those amps are running EL84 which just tend to do that when cranked up. This is a different ballgame and I have to think they went with 6L6's for good reason. We'll see.

Iam super intrested to see what happens if you push this amp wide open , will it get flabby, and start to thin out or stay full and big ,thats the million dollar question
also I have to say in my life I have played lots of amps and I am a gain guy, this amp I actually think is the first one in my years of playing that i have listened and gone wow
i think there is literally too much gain, I think Mark has seriously gone beyond and has the record here I believe

From the other clip the guy has the presence up ,and gain on like 2 and its pretty much neck in neck with an Uberschall ,that my friends is a LOT of frigging gain

Iam super intrested to see what happens if you push this amp wide open , will it get flabby, and start to thin out or stay full and big ,thats the million dollar question
also I have to say in my life I have played lots of amps and I am a gain guy, this amp I actually think is the first one in my years of playing that i have listened and gone wow
i think there is literally too much gain, I think Mark has seriously gone beyond and has the record here I believe

From the other clip the guy has the presence up ,and gain on like 2 and its pretty much neck in neck with an Uberschall ,that my friends is a LOT of frigging gain
Agreed. Everyone keeps talking about how much headroom it has. Until they are in the wild, everyone will have to continue hypothesizing.

Oh wow, having listened to these demos, I double-plus want one now!

I'll have to save up my GAS cash, but this looks achievable for 2018, depending on what blow at Experience 2018.

From what Bryan says, the half power switch is probably a pentode/triode switch, which is what PRS usually does as opposed to cutting off one tube and going SE like Mesa often does, for example. This is what the 50 watt Archon has. This feature is more about changing the feel of the amp than the volume.

Pretty much agree with every word, I would LOVE it if this could replace my 50W. As it is, it might have to be an addition for the home running half power. Want.

Back