MT 15

I was in the same boat. A little bird told me that if you have an Archon, you don’t need an MT15... unless you just want another amp. A different little bird told me that he thought he could take the MT15 to gigs instead of his $2K Archon. He felt it was loud enough, sounded great, costed 1/3 as much and was smaller, making it perfect for gigging. But both of these little birds told me it was close enough to the Archon that you didn’t “need” one for the tones because they were similar. Now, both of these little birds also told me that if a guy didn’t have an Archon, he should buy an MT15 immediately because it is a steal at the price and a great amp.

Just because of the birds reference and the obvious PRS affinity for birds, people shouldn’t assume these talking birds were forum members. In this case, chances are only about 50% that the two birds may be board members. That 1 should be easy to spot though. He plays guitars with birds on them.

Got my MT-15 yesterday. Didn't get a chance to play it until today, but I did set it up and make sure it turned on.

Got a chance to spend about an hour on it today. After a false start (had my channels mixed up - got no volume until I remembered that this has Sergio lighting, which means blue is the channel I probably won't use as much!), I got things rolling. Set all the tone knobs at 12:00 and started w/the clean channel using my Tremonti SC straight in, no pedals. Very cool. I did end up tweaking the tones a bit on the clean - some extra on all three bands and presence, boosting mainly the highs. Dead quiet operation, too.

Since there's been so much talk about how loud the amp is, I decided to really push it. Popped in ear plugs and fired up the decibel meter on my phone, 10 feet or so away from the cab (PRS Big Mouth 2x12). I use the db meter at concerts just to see how loud they are (personal curiosity). They usually run 106-110 db. On the clean channel, I got up to 111 or so - and never dimed the volume. I got a really good classic rock crunch out of it, but it's probably only going to get there again through my Cab Clone (or something similar). Fun while it lasted though.

Over to the dirt side. The presence was still up a bit (about 1:30) from the clean channel fun. Other than that, the tone knobs were at 12:00 - and stayed there. It was pretty glorious. And yes, I did the db test. Hit about 110 again when I cranked the volume up to about 2-3. Not 2:00-3:00 - about 2-3 on the knob. Maybe close to 9:00. Gain was about about 1:00-2:00, and I didn't want to push the volume any higher. But it sounded fantastic. (I didn't think to sweep the knob to see if it had the sudden volume jump that someone mentioned.). I'm riding the master volume for that channel about about .5.

It's gonna be fun running some other guitars through this amp and see what's what. Looking forward to trying the Holcomb and the 408, and my EVH. Something tells me that might be a nice match.

Has anyone mentioned yet where are these made and to what degree of hand wired or PCB assembly line method they use to build them?

Got my MT-15 yesterday. Didn't get a chance to play it until today, but I did set it up and make sure it turned on.

Got a chance to spend about an hour on it today. After a false start (had my channels mixed up - got no volume until I remembered that this has Sergio lighting, which means blue is the channel I probably won't use as much!), I got things rolling. Set all the tone knobs at 12:00 and started w/the clean channel using my Tremonti SC straight in, no pedals. Very cool. I did end up tweaking the tones a bit on the clean - some extra on all three bands and presence, boosting mainly the highs. Dead quiet operation, too.

Since there's been so much talk about how loud the amp is, I decided to really push it. Popped in ear plugs and fired up the decibel meter on my phone, 10 feet or so away from the cab (PRS Big Mouth 2x12). I use the db meter at concerts just to see how loud they are (personal curiosity). They usually run 106-110 db. On the clean channel, I got up to 111 or so - and never dimed the volume. I got a really good classic rock crunch out of it, but it's probably only going to get there again through my Cab Clone (or something similar). Fun while it lasted though.

Over to the dirt side. The presence was still up a bit (about 1:30) from the clean channel fun. Other than that, the tone knobs were at 12:00 - and stayed there. It was pretty glorious. And yes, I did the db test. Hit about 110 again when I cranked the volume up to about 2-3. Not 2:00-3:00 - about 2-3 on the knob. Maybe close to 9:00. Gain was about about 1:00-2:00, and I didn't want to push the volume any higher. But it sounded fantastic. (I didn't think to sweep the knob to see if it had the sudden volume jump that someone mentioned.). I'm riding the master volume for that channel about about .5.

It's gonna be fun running some other guitars through this amp and see what's what. Looking forward to trying the Holcomb and the 408, and my EVH. Something tells me that might be a nice match.

Lalalalala I'm not listening...

Wait, it's so loud I can't even say I don't hear it!

I can't believe I'm even considering a "15" watt amp, but here I am.

Lalalalala I'm not listening...

Wait, it's so loud I can't even say I don't hear it!

I can't believe I'm even considering a "15" watt amp, but here I am.

Touch sensitive, too. I spent a little more time on it. Dialed the guitar volume down to about 1 on the lead channel. It didn't get clean clean, but it really came pretty close. Hard to believe on a 'bargain' amp.

Kudos to Doug Sewell and Mark Tremonti. This thing is pretty killer.

Hey all - new to the forum but wanted to add a couple of tidbits to the many reviews. Not wanting to wait for the official cab, I picked up an Egnater Rebel 1 x 12 with a Celestion Lead 80 (ported for more bass). And...it’s incredible. Thudding, tight chugs. Clear, articulate, and punchy. Anyone not wanting to wait for the official cab should look at pairing it with the Rebel. Oh, and it’s crazy loud as others have said. I can’t turn it past 1 without all of the neighbors getting a free concert.

Overall, the amp is insane. It’s so good that my wife stopped in and said “that sounds so much better than your other amp” (Blackstar Series One). I play mostly metal and this amp just nails the big high gain sound I’ve been chasing.

One other thing - to address concerns about the volume knob sensitivity - the issue is real. I have focus all of my dexterity to get it set at a reasonable volume for bedroom practice. That said, it sounds fantastic at low volume on the gain channel. I’m pulling for you all to get yours soon!!

Thanks for chiming in.
Welcome to the forum.
Hey all - new to the forum but wanted to add a couple of tidbits to the many reviews. Not wanting to wait for the official cab, I picked up an Egnater Rebel 1 x 12 with a Celestion Lead 80 (ported for more bass). And...it’s incredible. Thudding, tight chugs. Clear, articulate, and punchy. Anyone not wanting to wait for the official cab should look at pairing it with the Rebel. Oh, and it’s crazy loud as others have said. I can’t turn it past 1 without all of the neighbors getting a free concert.

Overall, the amp is insane. It’s so good that my wife stopped in and said “that sounds so much better than your other amp” (Blackstar Series One). I play mostly metal and this amp just nails the big high gain sound I’ve been chasing.

One other thing - to address concerns about the volume knob sensitivity - the issue is real. I have focus all of my dexterity to get it set at a reasonable volume for bedroom practice. That said, it sounds fantastic at low volume on the gain channel. I’m pulling for you all to get yours soon!!

I don't NEED one of these, as I have an Archon. I still WANT one of these. :rolleyes:

I'm interested to see what the 5751 does for smoothing out the volume jump on the gain channel. It clearly has more than enough gain. I'm not worried about "bedroom volume" as I have an AmpliFire for that. But I don't want it going form quiet to LOUD with a very small bump of the volume knob. For reference, the 50 watt Archon gain channel is usually between 9:00 and 10:00. If the mids are up and the gain is up, 9:00 is about all I need at home (and this ain't "bedroom volume, boys. It's getting loud for home!). If I pull the mids down some, and if the gain is down, I can hit 9:30 or so, no problem. 10:00 is only if the mids and gain are both down, and gain down low, below 8:30. Or, 10:00 or above is when the wifey is gone.

It does get loud fast, but it's not "twitchy" in that range, like my Classic 30 was. I can control it, and for me, that is the key. I don't care if it's too loud at 10:00 as long as I can dial the volume I want without huge jumps in volume from 1/16" movement of the knob.

I don't NEED one of these, as I have an Archon. I still WANT one of these. :rolleyes:

I'm interested to see what the 5751 does for smoothing out the volume jump on the gain channel. It clearly has more than enough gain. I'm not worried about "bedroom volume" as I have an AmpliFire for that. But I don't want it going form quiet to LOUD with a very small bump of the volume knob. For reference, the 50 watt Archon gain channel is usually between 9:00 and 10:00. If the mids are up and the gain is up, 9:00 is about all I need at home (and this ain't "bedroom volume, boys. It's getting loud for home!). If I pull the mids down some, and if the gain is down, I can hit 9:30 or so, no problem. 10:00 is only if the mids and gain are both down, and gain down low, below 8:30. Or, 10:00 or above is when the wifey is gone.

It does get loud fast, but it's not "twitchy" in that range, like my Classic 30 was. I can control it, and for me, that is the key. I don't care if it's too loud at 10:00 as long as I can dial the volume I want without huge jumps in volume from 1/16" movement of the knob.

I totally get that. The volume is super touchy from about 7:00 on the dial (starting point) to like 8:00 on the dial. It smooths out after that. Between 7 and 8, there is like a 1/16 of an inch adjustment between bedroom volume and the volume where my wife begins plugging her ears. That said, it’s totally worth the annoyance for someone who doesn’t already own an Archon. I’ll also mention that I’ve only tried my MT15 so no clue if my experience applies to all.

Re: the sensitivity of the volume knob - There are quirks with every amp that allow it to sound the way it does.

Mark Tremonti doesn’t have to worry all that much about being a bedroom player, so he was probably more interested in other things.

Volume pot taper is an easy thing to make more friendly. It's entirely possible that this taper was chosen on purpose to make a big impression on people with how loud this amp is. Kind of like when the Japanese cars first started becoming popular in the US. People were used to 8 cyl. cars, so the Japanese 4 cyl. cars have very quick trigger gas pedals. Push them just a little and the car took off, making it "seem" more powerful than it was.

This amp apparently comes on fast, at the expense of having a nice range of low to mid volume tones easily available. No problem if you're gigging it. Problem if you're not. Heck, it may even be a problem if you're gigging it if it's hitting 110dB in a blink. That may be too loud for some club situations.

Won't it be funny seeing these at gigs and people using attenuators to tame their 15 watt amps?

European here. Shame on PRS!

I pre-ordered the MT-15 amp in March at Andertons in GB, they first promised to deliver it in May, then in July. Yesterday I got an update saying that expected date of arrival is now October 31. The same crap at major EU stores like Thomann, Musik-Produktiv and Musicstore. Guys at Andertons said it is PRS who constantly postpones delivery.

I am sure that MT-15 is a great amp, but PRS logistics and supply sucks.

Move to another alternative.

I pre-ordered the MT-15 amp in March at Andertons in GB, they first promised to deliver it in May, then in July. Yesterday I got an update saying that expected date of arrival is now October 31. The same crap at major EU stores like Thomann, Musik-Produktiv and Musicstore. Guys at Andertons said it is PRS who constantly postpones delivery.

All good things come to those who wait.....or, join a forum to b!tch.......

You move, you lose. But, do what you gotta do.

Edit: And PRS has been public about what caused the delay and in doing so, proved they won't compromise the amp for the sake of getting it out faster, so, while nobody likes to wait, you can wait... or again, lose.

Man, if you have the chance to turn it up a bit - say up to the midway point on the master volume - I'd be REALLY interested to see what the dB measurement is at that point!

Relax. Its a guitar amp, not the waiting list for a human heart.

Back