MT 15

Hey guys, new to the forum. Just got my MT15 and while the bell-like clean and nasty dirty are killer, is anyone else getting a surprising amount of buzz? I'm running it at 15w into an Orange 212 at 16ohm. I have a 5150 and a Ampeg V3 and neither of them have the buzz that the MT15 has going on. Its really killing me as I love the amp in every other way. Curious as to others experiance.

Hey guys, new to the forum. Just got my MT15 and while the bell-like clean and nasty dirty are killer, is anyone else getting a surprising amount of buzz? I'm running it at 15w into an Orange 212 at 16ohm. I have a 5150 and a Ampeg V3 and neither of them have the buzz that the MT15 has going on. Its really killing me as I love the amp in every other way. Curious as to others experiance.

Mine is whisper quiet. I had to unplug my pedal board, though. Ground loop, or something, caused a huge amount of buzz. I haven't taken the time to dig into it yet.

Well, here I was, sitting and anxiously awaiting a Monday delivery. Last night, right before I went to bed, I checked e-mail one last time. There was an e-mail from UPS.

Uh-oh.

"We have an update on your delivery date."

Crap.

Read first, then panic if necessary.

Now it's Saturday. WHEE!!!

Got mine!!!!

Clean channel is perfect LOVE the tone. If it had verb it would go from 10 to 11but my Timeline can do anything!

The "pull boost" really is like another channel though more like a pushed clean - voxy maybe??? Certainly its own thing and very usable.

Lead or Gain channel - I must admit when I first plugged it in I was NOT happy and was ready to sell it. I played it the next day and I thing the tubes just really needed to be "burnt it". It now was very cool and I can get many usable tones
and levels of gain. I also must say I am in a Classic Rock band and have been chasing a hot rodded JCM800 tone most of my life and this, again, it NOT that. But it can get close enough to make me feel that I could gig with it with my band.
It is its own thing as it should be.

If you like more modern rock or metal you are going to LOVE this thing. It does what it was designed to do perfectly!!!

The construction is solid and it has some heft to it. Much heavier than my Orange amp rated at 15 watts.

The lights are super cool!

One last big point -

The rating of 15 watts is total BS. I have another 15 watt amp and two 100 watters - this amp is LOUD I mean SUPER LOUD if you want to be. You can play at bedroom levels with ease but if you turn it up LOOK OUT!!
Plugged into my Marshall 4X12 it can really hurt me. It is louder than my JCM100 for sure. You can you one amp to go from the bedroom to, well anywhere!!!

And NO hum or hiss or noise of any kind.

My interest in the future is to see if I can use EL34's in it and how that will sound!!

I received my MT-15 Monday. This thing sounds mean and is SUPER loud. I do not think you would have any issues playing with a drummer. The clean channel is really great too and has lots of headroom. Here is a quick video I shot with my iphone to give my friends an idea of how the dirty channel sounds.

Nice tones. Would you say its saturated like a 5150/5153 or more thick like a Recto?

It’s more similIar to the 5153 (and almost as loud haha) then the rectifier. I sold my 5153 to buy the
MT 15. I play through a mesa traditional 4x12 and I boosted it with a CNZ audio overdrive pedal. Cheap overdrive pedal that sounds awesome with it.

I was also expecting it ship with cheaper tubes but it came with Ruby power tubes and JJ preamp tubes. PRS really did awesome with this amp.

Got mine!!!!

Clean channel is perfect LOVE the tone. If it had verb it would go from 10 to 11but my Timeline can do anything!

The "pull boost" really is like another channel though more like a pushed clean - voxy maybe??? Certainly its own thing and very usable.

Lead or Gain channel - I must admit when I first plugged it in I was NOT happy and was ready to sell it. I played it the next day and I thing the tubes just really needed to be "burnt it". It now was very cool and I can get many usable tones
and levels of gain. I also must say I am in a Classic Rock band and have been chasing a hot rodded JCM800 tone most of my life and this, again, it NOT that. But it can get close enough to make me feel that I could gig with it with my band.
It is its own thing as it should be.

If you like more modern rock or metal you are going to LOVE this thing. It does what it was designed to do perfectly!!!

The construction is solid and it has some heft to it. Much heavier than my Orange amp rated at 15 watts.

The lights are super cool!

One last big point -

The rating of 15 watts is total BS. I have another 15 watt amp and two 100 watters - this amp is LOUD I mean SUPER LOUD if you want to be. You can play at bedroom levels with ease but if you turn it up LOOK OUT!!
Plugged into my Marshall 4X12 it can really hurt me. It is louder than my JCM100 for sure. You can you one amp to go from the bedroom to, well anywhere!!!

And NO hum or hiss or noise of any kind.

My interest in the future is to see if I can use EL34's in it and how that will sound!!

Brian, what cab/speakers are you using? With the Archon, if I want more modded hot rodded JCM 800 tones, I switch it over the either a Private Jack or 2, or a PJ Governor mix. That will "age" it a few decades in tone and is KILLER sounding to boot!

It’s more similIar to the 5153 (and almost as loud haha) then the rectifier. I sold my 5153 to buy the
MT 15. I play through a mesa traditional 4x12 and I boosted it with a CNZ audio overdrive pedal. Cheap overdrive pedal that sounds awesome with it.
damn it lol. I was hoping to get either a 5153 or this. Now I have to get both.

Brian, what cab/speakers are you using? With the Archon, if I want more modded hot rodded JCM 800 tones, I switch it over the either a Private Jack or 2, or a PJ Governor mix. That will "age" it a few decades in tone and is KILLER sounding to boot!

The speakers are a mix of 2 75T's and 2 V30's. Thanks!!

Going to a friends house with the MT and a Marshall 100 watter,

The MT is 30 pounds lighter at 21 - lots of tone and volume for the weight!!!!!

The speakers are a mix of 2 75T's and 2 V30's. Thanks!!
Cool, so if you want more vintage tone, first replace the 75s with greenback types. I liked Private Jack better than 3 versions of Celestion, but the new Creambacks are supposed to be great. Warehouse version is good too. If this is a cab you don't want to mess with because it's perfect with your other amps, then all you can do is dial out some aggression. Gain down, WAY DOWN if it's like the Archon, and it's less aggressive but still had JCM800 gain PLUS at like 8:00 on the gain knob, and then dial your presence and treble to taste. Hopefully you can throw a couple greenlikes in there. You'll love that.

p.s. and while most people mix 75/V in X pattern, I'd go PJs/Cream (EDIT) Ms on top and Vs on the bottom. But this is preference and your preference may be determined by your playing position in relation to the amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread and linked videos are not helping my Amp GAS!!!!

I had convinced myself I didn't need one "right now" because I have a 100W Archon.

Not so convinced right now. Could be the Petite Syrah talking...

Back