MT 15 speaker swap.. Any recommendations

gasmansteve72

Hi.
I have a mt15 which I use with a open back 1x12" celestion vintage 30 8ohrms loaded harley benton cab..
I was wondering if any of you fine folks have tried any different speakers an what differences you have noticed between them compared to the vintage 30..

Been offered a eminence cannabis rex 50 8ohrms speaker an going to swap out the celestion later..
Thanks
Steve

Hi andy474x.
At the moment I'm just finding I'm having trouble dailing out some harshness out of the midrange an tighten up the low end with the celestion v30..

Tried a friends cab with a unknown 8ohrm speaker which worked with the clean and overdrive better than the celestion which I thought was better.. Unfortunately he isn't selling or trading an keeping speaker an cab.

Been offered a eminence cannabis rex 50 watt 8ohrms speaker which I'm getting in a bit to try an see if that helps..

That’s a good place to start, usually hemp cone speakers aren’t as bright. Celestion A-Type might be a good one, too.

That's what I was thinking andy474x with what I remember an have read..
The A-type was mentioned by my friend as well as the g12t-75..

I've played and played with my Archon. I have not tried every speaker, or even every one that I really want to try. I'd still like to try several of the Warehouse V30 type speakers, and the ET90. I've love to try their version of the EVM. I've always wanted to try Scumbacks. Still haven't bought any.

But I have concluded lately that my favorite speaker with the Archon that I have tried so far, is the Eminience EM12 in the Mesa Thiele cab. Each speaker and cab I have adds it's own character to the tones. While I know that the Eminence and the other EVM type speakers are not "flat," so they do contribute to the tone by some frequency variances, the cone itself does not contribute as much "character" to the tone. You hear more of the amp.

I remember doing my speaker tests with the Mesa stuff and found I could get rid of the ice pick some people complain about with Mark amps, by using higher power greenback type speakers. It also sounded more Marshall-like when using them. I've said this before, but I wish I'd had the Emi speaker when I had the Mark V and Mark V25. I had the Thiele cab but with the stock C90 speaker.

I like the Thiele/EM12 combo so well, I decided to buy another Thiele cab. And then Mesa raised the price of them $100, which raised the price on used ones. I bought the Dr. Z Zbest cab, which is basically a 2x12 Mesa Thiele cab. I'd drop 2 EM12s in that thing in a heartbeat, because it's a great sounding cab as is. But, it is the older version of the cab. 2 years ago the good doc decided they were great but lots of people weren't buying them only because they were too heavy. So he switched to pine, dropped 19lbs off the cab weight on the new models. Mine is about a year before the switch. That thing with two EM12s would weigh more than most 4x12s! LOL I still might do it some day. But I'm afraid it would knock down a wall in my home. So for now, Archon and MT15 owners, I'd suggest finding an aftermarket Thiele cab and dropping an EM12 in it. While heavy for a 1x12, it would easily replace most 2x12 cabs more than adequately, and the EM12 is just killer with the Archon. I even thought about putting one in my pine PRS cab... but think about it. Handle is on the top/middle. One side would weight 10lbs more than the other. It would be totally out of balance, if you were moving it around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played and played with my Archon. I have not tried every speaker, or even every one that I really want to try. I'd still like to try several of the Warehouse V30 type speakers, and the ET90. I've love to try their version of the EVM. I've always wanted to try Scumbacks. Still haven't bought any.

But I have concluded lately that my favorite speaker with the Archon that I have tried so far, is the Eminience EM12 in the Mesa Thiele cab. Each speaker and cab I have adds it's own character to the tones. While I know that the Eminence and the other EVM type speakers are not "flat," so they do contribute to the tone by some frequency variances, the cone itself does not contribute as much "character" to the tone. You hear more of the amp.

I remember doing my speaker tests with the Mesa stuff and found I could get rid of the ice pick some people complain about with Mark amps, by using higher power greenback type speakers. It also sounded more Marshall-like when using them. I've said this before, but I wish I'd had the Emi speaker when I had the Mark V and Mark V25. I had the Thiele cab but with the stock C90 speaker.

I like the Thiele/EM12 combo so well, I decided to buy another Thiele cab. And then Mesa raised the price of them $100, which raised the price on used ones. I bought the Dr. Z Zbest cab, which is basically a 2x12 Mesa Thiele cab. I'd drop 2 EM12s in that thing in a heartbeat, because it's a great sounding cab as is. But, it is the older version of the cab. 2 years ago the good doc decided they were great but lots of people weren't buying them only because they were too heavy. So he switched to pine, dropped 19lbs off the cab weight on the new models. Mine is about a year before the switch. That thing with two EM12s would weigh more than most 4x12s! LOL I still might do it some day. But I'm afraid it would knock down a wall in my home. So for now, Archon and MT15 owners, I'd suggest finding an aftermarket Thiele cab and dropping an EM12 in it. While heavy for a 1x12, it would easily replace most 2x12 cabs more than adequately, and the EM12 is just killer with the Archon. I even thought about putting one in my pine PRS cab... but think about it. Handle is on the top/middle. One side would weight 10lbs more than the other. It would be totally out of balance, if you were moving it around.

Not to derail the point of your comment, but someone on TGP is selling a Retro 30 and ET90 for a nice price, if you’re bored and feel like taking that plunge too!

Not to derail the point of your comment, but someone on TGP is selling a Retro 30 and ET90 for a nice price, if you’re bored and feel like taking that plunge too!
I love the ET65, and have heard good things about the Retro. Might take a look. Thanks Andy

Hi DreamTheatarRules.

The friend I got the package off the Mt15, s2 mira an open back cab was using a mesa thiele cab with the amp an tried the mt15 through it before deciding on doing the deal.. Unfortunately he is keeping the cab but will agree its a great cab.

Managed to get the emenice Cannibals rex speaker (50 watt 8ohrms) an it has sharpened the sound up an made this perfect for what I'm after.. So much so the celestion v30 has been sold..

Thank you andy474x an DreamTheatarRules for your help an knowledge..
Steve

Hi DreamTheatarRules.

The friend I got the package off the Mt15, s2 mira an open back cab was using a mesa thiele cab with the amp an tried the mt15 through it before deciding on doing the deal.. Unfortunately he is keeping the cab but will agree its a great cab.

Managed to get the emenice Cannibals rex speaker (50 watt 8ohrms) an it has sharpened the sound up an made this perfect for what I'm after.. So much so the celestion v30 has been sold..

Thank you andy474x an DreamTheatarRules for your help an knowledge..
Steve
Glad you're digging it. I've come to believe over the last 10 years, that finding the speaker you like is every bit as important as finding the amp you like.

That's so true DreamTheatarRules.
I use to think that a speaker wasn't that important but as I have grown older I have found its one of the biggest factors now with any new amp. I have thought about a few amps that I have had an got rid of because I found I couldn't them to sound the way I was after at the time..
Now I'm thinking of getting a few amp cabs an different speakers..

Running a WGS Retro 30 in one of my cabs with both the Archon 50 I have and my MT 15. REALLY like this speaker with these amps it's much smoother and fatter than a Vin 30. Have a WGS ET 90 in a cab I have at my Church it also sounds really good with these amps. The ET 90 has a little better cleans but is also really nice with gain but the Retro is the speaker for pure rock to metal I really like with these amps in particular in an open back cab. Have a Celestian GT75 from the early 90's, a 70/Eighty, and a Heritage 30 watt on hand as well as several Eminences and several WGS speakers BTW.

Running a WGS Retro 30 in one of my cabs with both the Archon 50 I have and my MT 15. REALLY like this speaker with these amps it's much smoother and fatter than a Vin 30. Have a WGS ET 90 in a cab I have at my Church it also sounds really good with these amps. The ET 90 has a little better cleans but is also really nice with gain but the Retro is the speaker for pure rock to metal I really like with these amps in particular in an open back cab. Have a Celestian GT75 from the early 90's, a 70/Eighty, and a Heritage 30 watt on hand as well as several Eminences and several WGS speakers BTW.
I've wanted to try the ET90 for a while now. Love the ET65. In fact, heard nothing but good about the Retro as well. I stopped buying speakers for a while after dropping the EM12 in the Thiele, and then getting the Zbest cab just a few weeks later. I was so happy with the two of them that I stopped trying speakers.

I've wanted to try the ET90 for a while now. Love the ET65. In fact, heard nothing but good about the Retro as well. I stopped buying speakers for a while after dropping the EM12 in the Thiele, and then getting the Zbest cab just a few weeks later. I was so happy with the two of them that I stopped trying speakers.
The ET 90 is fatter than the ET 65 less sparkle on the top over all a little smoother and fatter. Great speaker for a higher powered amp when you can crank it in a open back cab.
Had mine in my 25 watt Zinky Blue Velvet for a while and it really screamed. Pulled it in that amp for a WGS G12C that is more American voiced and fitts that amp better tonally.
Here is the Velvet running unmiced in the former lobby of a hospital. Room is HUGE so you can see how this little 25 watt 1/12 combo with the ET 90 fills this room with sound!

The ET 90 is fatter than the ET 65 less sparkle on the top over all a little smoother and fatter. Great speaker for a higher powered amp when you can crank it in a open back cab.

Sounds like it might be a good match for the Archon. I'd have to drop it in a closed back 1x or mixed with another speaker in a 2x. Have you mixed it with anything else?

V30s are harsh in the midrange on purpose. They're really easy to hear with a band... on their own I am not a fan. I got rid of 2 a while ago and switched to greenbacks. Much more top end detail, not such pronounced mids, nice character.

Don't discount Jensen. They make some excellent speakers at much lower prices than chinese celestions

Back