MP3 players

John Beef

Opaque
What MP3 players are you using?

Before smart phones, MP3 players were everywhere, lots of models for hundreds of dollars. Now, they seem to be extra cheap and cheaply made. Recently, I had a Sansa Clip+ 8GB that lasted two years - not bad for $40 and many, many hours of playtime. I bought another one, a 4GB to replace it, and it lasted nine months, survived a trip through both the washer and dryer and did pretty well I guess. Both of them now have bricked themselves. They simply will not respond to any button pressing, charging, or anything. My wife bought one on my recommendation and it was mostly a dud. The battery wouldn't last more than an hour or two. They seem to be very inconsistently manufactured.

I drive in traffic a lot and NEED an external button for skipping a song. I tend to put it on random across the whole collection - some stuff just isn't what I want to hear sometimes. The process for skipping a song with the Sansa is: Reach over and feel for the skip button, and press it, never taking my eyes off the road. With a smart phone, you have to push the power button. Swipe the screen. Locate the skip button on the screen and then press it. Lots of time with eyes off the road. It's dangerous.

But looking at Amazon, the Sansa seems to be the only thing out there. There are a couple others but really, there isn't much. I don't need it to play videos. I don't need it to connect to the internet. I just need a small screen to display what's playing, a USB connection to the computer, and maybe a SD card slot.

Also, Apple products (specifically having to use iTunes to manage my music) are completely out of the question.

John, I have an RCA Pearl MP3 player that has held up like a boss for years. It only has maybe 1 GB built in storage but will accept a micro SD card. If I can locate it, you are welcome to it...
I can throw it in the box with your raffle prize, which should be here in the next day or two, if you want.

My iPod became a paperweight when I got a 32gb microSD card for my Android. But now I have everything in the cloud, so I very rarely actually play music on the actual device anymore.

I don't drive a lot though, and I usually just set something up before leaving and then let it play so I won't be bothered with it while driving.

John, I have an RCA Pearl MP3 player that has held up like a boss for years. It only has maybe 1 GB built in storage but will accept a micro SD card. If I can locate it, you are welcome to it...
I can throw it in the box with your raffle prize, which should be here in the next day or two, if you want.
Right on, I appreciate the offer! My sansa came back to life yesterday. I'm not sure how. I let it sit all day then thought, "I'll give it one last shot" and boom, it powered on, working normally.

Also, Apple products (specifically having to use iTunes to manage my music) are completely out of the question.

You might want to reconsider.... most of the Apple products now have velocity sensors in them now and you can skip a song by just shaking the device - no buttons to push at all.

You might want to reconsider.... most of the Apple products now have velocity sensors in them now and you can skip a song by just shaking the device - no buttons to push at all.
But I would still have to use iTunes, right? That's the beef I have with Apple. I don't want to use their proprietary software. I would copy/paste them around like the ordinary files they are.

I have an 8gb Sony Walkman that I bought about 4 years ago. Works like a champ. Its been to work with me everyday, playing for 12 to 14 hours a day. Its spent so much time in my pocket that there's now sand behind the display, but I can still read it and it works, so I'm keeping it and I would get another tonight if this one died right now. Love this thing.

That's cool. I've never gotten more than 2-2 1/2 years out of a MP3 player. 4 years ago there were a lot more options than there are now.

The best one I ever owned was an iAudio X5L. 30 hour battery, 30GB storage, and most importantly, it did line in recording. I would feed the output from our mixer at band practice right into it, so when we were working on new material I could record the ideas and upload them to a shared GMail account.

Back