Moving With Lots of Guitars / Gear

Excellent and timely topic. i have a 400-mile move coming up. (5 drum kits, 33 guitars, 12 amps, etc...)

I've only recently been building up my gear collection, after losing most of it in 2014 [long story]. Since then, I've amassed a good deal of gear: 13 guitars, 4 basses, a handful of keyboards, 2 drum sets, and other peripherals.

I already have hard cases for the drums and sturdy boxes for the keyboards. My concern is with the guitars. Most of them have some hard cases that are really good, yet others have bags. One of the guitars would probably need a custom case made for it, so I'm open for advice on that.

Has anyone here had to move a big guitar collection? I hope to be moving in a few months, and this will be my first time moving this many guitars. I'm considering selling some of the cheaper ones.

Any advice is welcome.

EDIT: Yes, we will be hiring professional movers for everything else.
Get your instruments and amps individually listed on a schedule and make sure your moving insurance is adequate. You may have to pay more for that. Carry your best stuff with you in your car, the rest can be packed up well. Gig bags are not good for moving, I'd recommend cases for the guitars you care about.

Ooh, moving. Ranks right up there with funerals, root canals, HOA's, and traffic court IMHO. The last time we moved, we were both driving minivans, so we took the seats out and let the moving company take them, then loaded up my guitars, amps and everything else we didn't want broke or lost and moved it ourselves. I will say though, the moving company only broke one thing, a shelf clip inside one of the freezers. I was pretty impressed after hearing so many horror stories.

I've only recently been building up my gear collection, after losing most of it in 2014 [long story]. Since then, I've amassed a good deal of gear: 13 guitars, 4 basses, a handful of keyboards, 2 drum sets, and other peripherals.

Excellent and timely topic. i have a 400-mile move coming up. (5 drum kits, 33 guitars, 12 amps, etc...)

Yep. Timely topic. One month and two days from today we are moving. I don't have 13 guitars but more like 8. No basses or drum kits. And not moving 400 miles, more like 20. But we are moving 54 years of marriage, 41 in this house! The movers came through a couple weeks ago to give an estimate. They got to my music room and looked at me. I said, "I am moving all the guitars".

the guitars are going in their cases. Many already are. They will go to my car. When all of the rest of the move is finished they will then come out of my car.

the guitars are going in their cases. Many already are. They will go to my car. When all of the rest of the move is finished they will then come out of my car.
That’s how I did my last move, but it was during December in Canada, so I put the guitars in the car, drove to the new house and took the guitars out and tucked the cases in the corner of the dining room, which we had no furniture for.

If we move again, I would move guitars, amps and computers myself, probably bikes as well.

Oh, I don't envy anyone moving. I shudder to think of what it will be like when/if I ever move again. Without a doubt, I will do all the music stuff myself... but I'm not looking forward to it!

I have a small guitar collection, only three, and I transported all of them in the cabin of my car. The same way I moved my computers, I have five monitors, two PCs, and extra equipment because I do all my work from home. And that's how I've moved twice, from different apartments within the same city. But for personal reasons, I decided to move to Belgium, and now I'm worried about such a long move of guitars and computers. I would be very grateful for tips on properly packing musical instruments and equipment since I will be moving this time with movers https://loparemovals.com/european-removals-belgium.

Last edited:
Exactly this. I had to move a friend a few years ago and he drove the moving truck, but I put his guitars and basses in my car.

That said, I'd have to drive the wifes truck to do that now. But the guitars would go in the car, not a moving truck.

Same here, about a year ago, all the instruments, PA, amp etc. went in the car.

Back