Moving to 24.5" scale?

Itzed

I'm wondering what challenges, surprises, discoveries, people have found in moving from a longer scale to a shorter scale. I'm very used to playing strats with 25.5" scale. I have a DC3 with 25.25" scale that feels good, and a couple PRS with 25" scale that I also love. But I've never really tried a 24.5" scale and I'm kind of jonesing for a Zach Myers I've been looking at on line. Any experiences people could share?

I find going from a 25" PRS to a 24.5" PRS so transparent that I don't even think about it. But put a Tele in my hands and whether it's the scale length, the feel of the guitar, or other factors, it feels like I've switched to a different universe!

So I think a lot depends on the guitar itself.

There are slight differences in the feel of the strings, and bends should be a little easier, and maybe more of a midrange emphasis to the tone, depending on the guitar's design.

Interesting responses. I find the difference between a 24.5 vrs. a 25.5 to be very noticeable (and to a lessor, but still noticeable extent, 25"). Strings bend easier with 24.5, and the reach to the lower frets is more comfortable. I favor the shorter scale length which is why my favorite PRS model is a 245.

Last edited:
I also feel the difference is pronounced, especially when soloing in the above the 12th fret. If you are used to the shorter scale length, and play it for a while, when you switch to the longer scale length there is so much more room between the frets. If you are used to playing a longer scale length, when you switch to shorter scale length, things seem a little tighter or crowded.

I also feel the difference is pronounced, especially when soloing in the above the 12th fret. If you are used to the shorter scale length, and play it for a while, when you switch to the longer scale length there is so much more room between the frets. If you are used to playing a longer scale length, when you switch to shorter scale length, things seem a little tighter or crowded.
I second this, with regard to playing above the 12th fret. I started on a strat but played short scale more often than not the last 20 years. I like the longer scale for heavier stuff due to the tension or for parts that just need to have a strat. That said, I reach for the short scale guitar 90% of the time if I'm just noodling or jamming. There are a few parts I'm used to playing on a 24.5 or 24.75 that I simply can't do on a 25.5 and vice versa.

I move back and forth all the time, different flavors and slightly different feel. From my perspective the slightly more awkward transition is going from the doublecut to the singlecut at least with regards to upper register access.

I have larger hands and I find 24.5" scale a little rough above fret 15. Depends on the guitar though. Jumbo frets are an absolute no go but medium jumbo or less is doable but not comfortable.

I went in the other direction from 24.5 Gibson, to 25 PRS to 25.5 Fender. The Fender took some getting use to, but now all just seem natural. Even the different fret wire sizes are a non issue.

Back