Moving, lessons becoming a headache

DHW

As we get closer and closer to making a big move I am looking into lessons, mainly for my daughter. I could definitely still use them but could probably get away with doing online stuff and seeing a teacher on an as needed basis if I had to. I can find exactly zero teachers within an hour of where we are moving let alone getting picky about them in any way. What would you do? Suck it up and do the driving? Do like a couple times a month for an hour instead of half hour every week? Jamplay? Skype lessons(not sure with who)?

The kid picks everything up quick and then I struggle to get her to practice much and if I spread them out too much I would be worried she would decline her practice even more which I don't like the idea of at all.

I am really wanting someone that can teach how to play music on a guitar not someone that can teach just songs if that makes sense... Someone with a real theory background that can either teach it full on or at least interweave it thought the lessons for the kid.

Living near the twin cities now there is a decent selection of teachers so this is all new to me...

There is a guy on the forum here from Sweden that does lessons via Skype.
Cannot remember his name, but his avatar is a trampus green Zach Myer, at least it use to be.

From my experience: if the teacher is good and her homework is well prepared, 2 one-hour lessons a month should be the correct way. The job for the teacher must be correct your mistakes or bad habits and push forward with new homework adapted to your "learning curve".
I had teachers like:
- Ok, today we will see something new
- yes, but before that I would like to check this exercise because I dont do it well.
- You have to practice more. Lets move on.
(4 months later)
- I quit. I found a PROPER teacher.

My two girls wanted to play, but wouldn't give up their long nails. So I said "no way!"

Tell her no practice means no lessons.

I am really wanting someone that can teach how to play music on a guitar . . . Someone with a real theory background that can either teach it full on or at least interweave it thought the lessons for the kid
I went to Cardiff University School of Music a few years back basically to brush up after a long lay off from playing. The School of Music is built specifically for teaching music and each pod is in isolation and has a piano. My first two teachers, both professionally trained and have huge degrees, just wanted to hit notes on the piano and get me to find that note on the fretboard. I did explain to both of them I could do that all day and that it wasn't teaching me anything. In the end I gave up with them and found a few guys who like to jam a lot (one an ex-Shakin' Stevens guitarist) and that was better than anything I got taught at the Uni. Be careful what you ask for ;)

Have a look at: https://www.wifimusicschool.com/ and have a search, there are loads available.

Our current teach is giving me a theory crash course to try and cover as much as possible before we move and he is getting the reader's digest version out there pretty well. I have learned quite a bit and have even used it to figure out all the chord changes in a couple songs so far. We are hammering intervals now. I practice and review the materials during the week and then work on playing songs and going through some lead method materials and such the rest of the time. It is working well for me right now just wish I could take him with us lol.

Maybe one hour each month in person, and weekly skype sessions with the same teacher?
Maybe start off with in-person every other week?

Maybe one hour each month in person, and weekly skype sessions with the same teacher?
Maybe start off with in-person every other week?

If I could find a teacher set up to do this it would be great. The nearest "cities" to where we will be, in order of distance if anyone has any thoughts...

Dubuque, IA
Lacrosse, WI
Madison, WI

Dubuque and Lacrosse are very close to the same distance as is the west side of Madison.

I think the transit would make the lessons a chore for your daughter. Unless she is super keen, it would just not be much fun to lose that much time.
I would look for a local teacher. I know you've been looking, but I think that a teacher who has a few students at home might not be easily found until you are actually in the new location. I would just sign her up for a few lessons and if they worked well for her, keep going, otherwise try someone else. If there really isn't anyone local, then have a chat with her about travelling or trying to do something via Skype.

She doesn't mind the adventures. She is home schooled and doesn't have much else for events so that wouldn't be so bad. I grew up down there so have been talking with friends and such trying to find someone. I did speak with a pro that has taught at the WI Music Conservatory and that has written tons of books for Hal Leonard. He isn't cheap but he does skype lessons and we could occasionally make the trip for an in person lesson. Gonna explore that concept some more.

There are a lot of guitar lessons to be found online, but unfortunately too many of the teachers are not so great at "teaching". It really takes a specially talented instructor who can show you and make you understand without showing off his expertise and leaving you with your mouth hanging open, thinking "What ....?". Personally I can recommend Griff Hamlin, an accomplished musician, well-trained (has a music degree), and absolutely exceptional at teaching. He teaches blues, but his methods lend themselves to nearly any genre of music. Take a look at a video or two of his at Blues Guitar Unleashed. He has anything from beginner to advanced and his lessons can be purchased both with DVD's and digital versions that can be done anywhere you have Internet. The best part is the cost. If you take what you would pay a private tutor and compare it to the cost of one of his courses, it's a no-brainer. Another benefit is that you can do it at your own pace, anytime, anywhere. I have no affiliation with him, but I have bought quite a few of his courses and they will last me a lifetime. I just hope I live long enough to complete them. In addition, he sends you almost daily lessons completely free, apart from what he sells. He has one called the 4 Note Solo that can be gotten just by providing an email address and you don't have to buy anything to get that. This will get you the daily free lessons too.

I'd encourage anyone to just look at his style of teaching in some of his videos and decide for yourself. I've not seen anything anywhere else that compares, value-wise. Again, check this link to Blues Guitar Unleashed. He covers acoustic as well as electric.

If I could find a teacher set up to do this it would be great. The nearest "cities" to where we will be, in order of distance if anyone has any thoughts...

Dubuque, IA
Lacrosse, WI
Madison, WI

Dubuque and Lacrosse are very close to the same distance as is the west side of Madison.

Check out Madison Music Foundry if you're willing to make the trip. There's a lot of good instructors there that teach every instrument imaginable. I've Been taking guitar lessons for about 7 months now, drum lessons for about 5 months, and my daughter takes bass and bassoon lessons. It's pretty reasonable priced too.

Back