Mounting Posts for McCarty 594 Bridge

HoovHead

I have a 2019 PRS McCarty 594 semi-hollow and it sounds and plays great. I was wondering about the method used to attach the bridge post screws to the body.

The bridge sits on two posts. These posts are machine screws that accommodate the up and down height adjustment using two thumb screws. Do these screws attach to a threaded grommet in the body like the wrap around bridge?

Thanks in advance for the answer!

Mounted to a center block in the body.

Yes, thank you. But is there an insert, or is it a combo screw (1/2 machine+1/2 wood)? I was just curious about how they did it because it is not obvious or visible. The hole is drilled prior to finishing (you can see that in the latest factory tour video).

Thanks again for your input!

The posts screw straight into the wood. This is how Ted McCarty designed the Gibson ABR-1 Tune-o-matic bridge back in the 50's.

Yes, thank you. But is there an insert, or is it a combo screw (1/2 machine+1/2 wood)? I was just curious about how they did it because it is not obvious or visible. The hole is drilled prior to finishing (you can see that in the latest factory tour video).

Thanks again for your input!
Correct. I believe they call it a bridge post well.

Thanks everyone for the input. What @garret posted makes sense . I'm no luthier, but it seems that a screw directly in the wood would have better sound transmission. Similar to the six screws on the PRS trem mechanism---all directly in the wood.

Back