Most Underrated Guitarists of all time...

Clapton stole half his licks from Albert King, note for note. Well, if you’re gonna steal, steal from the best, right?

Albert taught SRV some stuff.

Most of the world doesn’t even know who he was.

Listen to ‘Born Under A Bad Sign’ - which Albert wrote and recorded before Cream recorded the hit on Disraeli Gears - and you’ll recognize an awful lot of licks.

It’s almost like Albert King was Slowhand’s personal manager...;)

I would also nominate Jon Herington - the current featured guitarist of Steely Dan (and has been with them since the turn of the century). To tour with this band and have to recreate those memorable guitar riffs.. from the likes of Denny Dias, Skunk Baxter, Larry Carlton, Rick Derringer, Walter Becker and so many others... I've seen him a few times now and delight in watching him effortlessly work his way through their catalog.

Neil Young? :oops:
I've seen Neil a few times over the years now and really enjoyed him last time I saw him at Farm Aid with Willie Nelson's son's band (Promise of the Real) backing him. I had heard they were going to tour this year to support a new album they dropped earlier this year but haven't seen anything come of it yet. Neil coaxes some interesting stuff out of his old LP... fun to watch him play too.

I've seen Neil a few times over the years now and really enjoyed him last time I saw him at Farm Aid with Willie Nelson's son's band (Promise of the Real) backing him. I had heard they were going to tour this year to support a new album they dropped earlier this year but haven't seen anything come of it yet. Neil coaxes some interesting stuff out of his old LP... fun to watch him play too.

I like Neil Young. But then again, many of my favorite guitar players aren't technicians, they simply play with a lot of heart.

J. Mascis

70576_v9_ba.jpg

Mike Campbell and George Harrison rarely make those lists of “best guitarists”...I don’t understand why. If you think the guitar part is there to be add a unique, memorable, integral part to the song...these two are hard to beat.

On board with Terry Kath, Lonnie Mack, and Buck Dharma. I'd add. Rik Emmet, Mick Box, and Tommy Bolin. Bolin should be at the top,of a lot of lists, IMO.

We've had the Bolin conversation before, so you know what I think of him. I do wonder if the "he replaced ......" gives him a bum rap though. Between the James Gang, Deep Purple, Zephyr, Cobham and the 2 solo albums, they gave us some wonderful glimpses of the guitarist he was truly capable of being.

I was watching a clip of 25 or 6 to 4 live from 1970...Kath was a freaking monster. I know he was working toward a solo record when he passed, now we're left to forever wonder what might have been and IMO Chicago never really regained what was lost with his death. If you've not seen the Terry Kath Experience, yet, you really should. It's an awesome look at his life and his daughter's quest to know her dad better and her hunt in finding Terry's Tele.

We've had the Bolin conversation before, so you know what I think of him. I do wonder if the "he replaced ......" gives him a bum rap though. Between the James Gang, Deep Purple, Zephyr, Cobham and the 2 solo albums, they gave us some wonderful glimpses of the guitarist he was truly capable of being.

I was watching a clip of 25 or 6 to 4 live from 1970...Kath was a freaking monster. I know he was working toward a solo record when he passed, now we're left to forever wonder what might have been and IMO Chicago never really regained what was lost with his death. If you've not seen the Terry Kath Experience, yet, you really should. It's an awesome look at his life and his daughter's quest to know her dad better and her hunt in finding Terry's Tele.

I just read about the Kath docu in an issue of Vintage Guitar from last year. I will have to check that out.

Dean Parks - He can play just about anything (electric or acoustic) & James Taylor recently hired him to play acoustic guitar on his tour because James had an injury and could not play guitar (but thankfully could sing)

Back