Most Important Moment In Music History

If I might interrupt the puns for just a second. I didn't see the Ed Sullivan show live when it happened. I have seen the recording a few times. I wondered what all the teen aged girls were screaming about. I do think it was a turning point in the direction of modern music. I don't think it was a world wide shock wave. There were probably many more millions of people who continued to blissfully live out their lives without knowing who the Beatles were, than those who did know. I can tell you that in my tiny desert town in Nowhere Arizona, Merl Haggard was much more appreciated than 4 guys from England would ever be. In my home right next to Merl was Sergei Rachmaninoff. So I can tell you that Classical, and Classic Country, were both little influenced by the FAB 4. Add to those two genres the myriad others from Tibet to Istanbul, I would suppose that the Beatles were a very small part of the total world wide music scene. This is not to suggest that they were not huge world wide. They were. There will be someone in both Tibet and Istanbul who will have heard a Beatles song. But influencing the music played there? Not likely.

Now thinking about their worldwide influence and the puns afoot, it's good to be back in the USSR!

Now thinking about their worldwide influence and the puns afoot, it's good to be back in the USSR!

I've got a feeling that the Beatles' music is appreciated here, there and everywhere.

I've got a feeling that the Beatles' music is appreciated here, there and everywhere.

Aorund here too. I had the dogs out for their morning walk and someone over on Penny Lane was cranking some Beatles tunes.

March 21 (or 31 depending on your calendar choice) 1685: the birth of Johann Sebastian Bach

If the way to know the success or the impact in society is asking to people "Do you know them? Or at least, do you know that they exist?" then Metallica are there too.
In fact, they took all the british "Beatles on esteroids" and took the music to another level. For that kind of music, Metallica is the inspiration for most modern metal bands.

Back