Most Important Moment In Music History

They used to be "the hottest band in the land", but they became "the hottest band in the world". That happened after their announcer went through puberty.

Hottest band in the world ain't got the same charm. They started going downhill after the change.

Without Buddy Holly and the Crickets they may not have existed in the form that they did. And without somebody else Buddy Holly and the Crickets may not have existed as they did. First dude to beat the drum gets my vote.

Hendrix at Monterey & Santana at Woodstock hold more weight for me.......................but's that's cause I never really liked the Beatles.

Time after time I read interviews with well known musicians, and what do they allude to? That moment from the Ed Sullivan Show. That's the point they say "I knew what I wanted to do."

Time after time I read interviews with well known musicians, and what do they allude to? That moment from the Ed Sullivan Show. That's the point they say "I knew what I wanted to do."

That's exactly what happened to me.

For me -- not sayin' for anyone else, only speaking for myself here, a guy who started classical/traditional piano at 4, pre - Beatles, and makes a living in music today...

That moment was one of two that eventually led to my career in music. The other moment was turning on my radio and hearing "I Want To Hold Your Hand" on WXYZ radio late at night for the first time, a few weeks before the Sullivan appearance. I think my hair literally stood on end.

Is it the most important moment in music? Well, no doubt the invention of music itself was a bigger deal. But given that music isn't a contest, the televised appearance of the Beatles to several hundred million people in one evening was a very big deal.

As amazing as they were, Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Buxtehude, Praetorius, and [insert name of musical genius here] going back to the beginning of time, never had a mass audience like that to influence in one moment.

So for me, and for my g-g-generation, I'd have to say yes.

The Beatles were also hugely influential in my son's musical development; as a 5 year old kid, when asked what he wanted to be when he grew up, he'd say, "A member of Paul McCartney's band."

Today he's a touring/recording artist who got lucky enough a year or so ago to talk about songwriting -- with none other than Paul McCartney. Nice to see the circle closed.

Ok guys.........my red haired wife is attractive and provides me with ALL that I need, I have more prs guitars than I did a year ago, my son and I still dirt bike, I still throw a leg over my HD for wind therapy and my job doesn't suck very much.

Point is........ it's ALL good! Always remember that.

Back