More Things To Love About The HX/DA

I played an H a while back, which is also a 50 watt amp, and thought it sounded good at what I consider reasonable volumes. But those guys stressed that the 'H' is a different design and a different kind of amp, thus it's possible to get a much more overdriven tone at lower volumes. If the HX/DA can do that as well, then I'm tempted to try it. But opinions seem to vary on that question.

Son, the HX/DA is a man's amp. One channel, not two, 50 watts of red hot glass crankin' out a tone that's big as...well...it's big.

Takes balls to play this amp. Decisiveness. Boldness. Carpe diem stuff.

Guys who buy this amp don't worry about low volume bedroom stuff. Because we're badass.

Ask Bennett. He and I are like Rambo and Superman, only meaner and tougher. And better looking. Ask our old ladies, who are the kind of women who only fall for badass, bad boy, types like us.

So go buy the H. We'll be here. Waiting to kick some tone booty.

(cue theme from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

Last edited:
He's referring to Eric Johnson no doubt, but the amp is named for Allman and Hendrix. EJ is known for using classic Marshalls as well.
Keep also in mind that the original Marshall amp used to develop the 25th Anniversary (the basis for the HXDA) and the Hendrix tone was owned by Eric Johnson. So Junior may have been mixing his amp references.

Everyone's info has been very helpful. The big decision for me now is whether to order a 50 or 30 watt head. I like to run my tone like David Grissom where I get the majority of my dirt and overdrive from the amp and run a clean boost w maybe an overdrive as well. I've found w my DGT'S I can really clean up the amp w the guitar volume like he does. I currently run a couple Category 5 amps one of which I'm going to sell. Can a 30 watt HXDA do the trick in a small blues bar and on a larger outdoor stage, turning it down for studio work or do you think I should get the 50 if it can also do those things well? It's hard to decide, I want enough power but not so much I can't open it up. I've had a Super Dallas in the past and I had to really get it loud for the tones i wanted. Too loud for most of the bars/clubs I play. I'm unfamiliar w a good master volume since my Cat 5's use a voltage control/power scaling. I've read the master is quite useful in the new PRS amps and on the HXDA.
Thanks guys for the help.

This amp is just too cool to pass up. I ordered one from Brian today, in the same colors as this 2 Channel H. I had them add the reverb option as well.

~5 weeks.

Last edited:
...I like to run my tone like David Grissom where I get the majority of my dirt and overdrive from the amp and run a clean boost w maybe an overdrive as well. I've found w my DGT'S I can really clean up the amp w the guitar volume like he does....I've had a Super Dallas in the past and I had to really get it loud for the tones i wanted. Too loud for most of the bars/clubs I play...
That's interesting hearing your experience. I too gig a Super Dallas and have to jockey the volume to keep from pissing off everyone involved. But...and this is a big but...depending on the stage type and venue acoustics, I find most of the bass (which is the real impact from the SD) drops off drastically after about 15 feet from the amp. The Stealth 2x12 never ice picks and never backhands the crowd with a laser beam. I couldn't be happier. And considering the number of musicians making comments, I'm inclined to think I'm on the right track. Obviously the results depend on the music you're playing, but for me, with a DGT Std and an SE One, the results are fantastic. I might also add that we self amplify the guitars and bass...only drums and vox thru the PA.

One last comment...I don't think the perceivable volume difference between a 30W and 50W amp (of similar design) is enough for people to notice. A cranked 30W is still pretty loud.

I just ordered a Bad Cat Unleash to see how the HXDA sounds "opened up." I have a couple nice Category 5 amps as well I'd like to do the same with. The power scaling on them is a great feature but I want to get the power tubes cooking a little more. We'll see how it works out and I'll let everyone know.

I just ordered a Bad Cat Unleash to see how the HXDA sounds "opened up." I have a couple nice Category 5 amps as well I'd like to do the same with. The power scaling on them is a great feature but I want to get the power tubes cooking a little more. We'll see how it works out and I'll let everyone know.

I'm kind of interested to hear how that turns out myself. I would like to know how the MDT sounds with a Bad Cat Unleash as well, if anyone has that combo.

The only problem with an attenuator is that while the tubes get to cook, the speaker really doesn't get to do its thing to the same degree. So there's a tradeoff, as speaker distortion from full power operation is part of the "opened up" sound, and you can't get that with an attenuator.

I've never tried an attenuator I've liked -- hot plate, Marshall, or Dr. Z -- but there's always a first time for everything!

Still it'll be interesting to see how you feel about it.

Bumping this to see if we have any thoughts on the Bad Cat Unleash with the HXDA. I like the tones but I do find it sounds best with the master dimed and at least needs to be past noon to get rid of some of the fizziness at higher gain settings. Just wondering how well this might work.

Bumping this to see if we have any thoughts on the Bad Cat Unleash with the HXDA. I like the tones but I do find it sounds best with the master dimed and at least needs to be past noon to get rid of some of the fizziness at higher gain settings. Just wondering how well this might work.

I'm wondering how you set yours up...I have no fizziness at all, at any gain setting, or with the master lower. What are your settings?

In HX mode, Treble 10 o clock, Mid 2 oclock, Bass 2 o clock. Presence 10 o clock. I've been running the bass gain around 2 o clock and the hx/da gain around 9-10 o clock. if I run the hx/da gain higher than the bass I tend to find it way too bright. It's really just a subtle difference with the master, I notice it thickens up the tone when it's up higher. My other reason for asking about the unleash was the loop. Then again, I can have a loop added for less than the cost of that box.

Last edited:
In HX mode, Treble 10 o clock, Mid 2 oclock, Bass 2 o clock. Presence 10 o clock. I've been running the bass gain around 2 o clock and the hx/da gain around 9-10 o clock. if I run the hx/da gain higher than the bass I tend to find it way too bright. It's really just a subtle difference with the master, I notice it thickens up the tone when it's up higher. My other reason for asking about the unleash was the loop. Then again, I can have a loop added for less than the cost of that box.

I run mine similar to yours. Same treble and bass settings for the most part, same presence, but I mostly use the HXDA gain around 2 o' clock and the bass gain around 8 o' clock. I'm generally in DA mode on switch one, DA mode on switch 2, and HX mode on switch 3, depending on the guitar and my mood. So a little different, but not much!

I guess one man's fizzy is another man's not fizzy!

I also run my guitar volume around 6 and guitar tone around 6-7. So maybe there's that.

I run mine similar to yours. Same treble and bass settings for the most part, same presence, but I mostly use the HXDA gain around 2 o' clock and the bass gain around 8 o' clock. I'm generally in DA mode on switch one, DA mode on switch 2, and HX mode on switch 3, depending on the guitar and my mood. So a little different, but not much!

I guess one man's fizzy is another man's not fizzy!

I also run my guitar volume around 6 and guitar tone around 6-7. So maybe there's that.

i think your having it in the DA mode is switch 1 is probably the key. If I flip that it's just fine for most volume levels. I'm thinking of sending in for a loop and the series/parallel switch. I've asked it maybe they can add another switch to fatten it up more although that might be redundant since that what switch 1 is doing. With regular voiced greenback speakers it probably sounds fine as I tend to think most of those are dark and flat sounding. These scumback black backs im using have more upper mids and highs though not as much high end as the V30.

i think your having it in the DA mode is switch 1 is probably the key. If I flip that it's just fine for most volume levels. I'm thinking of sending in for a loop and the series/parallel switch. I've asked it maybe they can add another switch to fatten it up more although that might be redundant since that what switch 1 is doing. With regular voiced greenback speakers it probably sounds fine as I tend to think most of those are dark and flat sounding. These scumback black backs im using have more upper mids and highs though not as much high end as the V30.

Yeah, the DA setting on the first switch may be the reason.

I'm using V-30s, but I don't mind the brightness because that works for recording, especially with a Royer 121. Seems like you and I have pretty similar tastes in setup.

I just got the Unleash last week and haven't tried it enough to give a good report. As soon as I do I'll let you guys know. I won't be using the loop on it since I run everything into the front of the amp.

Back