More DGT questions...

king tone

Would the DGT model typically have a shielded cavity? Mine does not. Just curious if it was requested by DG to be that way...
I seem to remember all the previous PRS guitars I have owned all having the painted cavity.
I would not say it's really noisy by any means but I just shielded a different guitar and it is more quiet.
Regardless, it's a great guitar just tinkering around.

Also wanted to ask about the finish...would the DGT be a nitro finish? Mine is 2011. This one definitely has a decent bit of hazy finish type scratching on the top...can you use a meguiars style rubbing compound to restore the finish a bit or is that going to make it look worse or cause damage? I have done that on some other guitars and it worked great but I would not do it to this one if it would be a bad idea.

They seem to have completely stopped shielding all of the Core guitars. Not sure when that happened, but it's been some time ago.

The DGT was originally with nitro, but they changed it over to the poly finish in 2011. So yours might be either, depending on when they actually made the switch and when exactly your guitar was finished. You may want to send the serial number to PRS and have them check on it.

I knew there was a point where it changed but had forgotten when. Do you think rubbing compound is safe for the top? This one has some wear so I guess I could try it on the back in a carefully chosen spot.
I feel like if it was acceptable it possibly could really make an improvement. From a couple of feet away nobody would see it but just wondering...probably should contact someone official for the final word.

Yeah I'm not the guy for that. I just wipe 'em all off with an old t-shirt and I'm done.

Ask PRS or post a thread in the Electric section and I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations.

Back