More Clips, Less Talk

I just saw this thread yesterday and figured, what the hell. I was recently going through and culling the handful of video clips I've made of myself playing and realized I only had ONE clip with the 594 when I had it. I'm not the player a lot of folks here are and I don't think I gravitate to much of the same type of music either. I don't have any chops to speak of and know precious little theory but I have the minor and (increasingly) major pentatonic almost down to the level of DNA, so slower bluesy stuff and spacy rock stuff is mostly what I do. Most of my clips seem to be with my strat, but here's the one and only I made with the 594. Kind of a proof of life kind of thing I guess. I'd loaded an iReal track of St. James Infirmary onto my looper - it's one of those that will save 100 tracks and I have about 4-5 I've brought in from external sources in addition to the many of just me laying down a rhythm loop. And I'm just loosely jamming over it with the 594. I won't bore you with any more of these - it's the only one I made while I owned a PRS. Only a couple of really nasty clams... So, from a few months ago for posterity:

-Ray

Your left hand has a soul. Nice feel.
While watching I couldn’t help feelin ‘This guy is a strat player’.
I just saw this thread yesterday and figured, what the hell. I was recently going through and culling the handful of video clips I've made of myself playing and realized I only had ONE clip with the 594 when I had it. I'm not the player a lot of folks here are and I don't think I gravitate to much of the same type of music either. I don't have any chops to speak of and know precious little theory but I have the minor and (increasingly) major pentatonic almost down to the level of DNA, so slower bluesy stuff and spacy rock stuff is mostly what I do. Most of my clips seem to be with my strat, but here's the one and only I made with the 594. Kind of a proof of life kind of thing I guess. I'd loaded an iReal track of St. James Infirmary onto my looper - it's one of those that will save 100 tracks and I have about 4-5 I've brought in from external sources in addition to the many of just me laying down a rhythm loop. And I'm just loosely jamming over it with the 594. I won't bore you with any more of these - it's the only one I made while I owned a PRS. Only a couple of really nasty clams... So, from a few months ago for posterity:

-Ray

-Ray

Sounds great, man. Thanks for sharing.

Your left hand has a soul. Nice feel.
While watching I couldn’t help feelin ‘This guy is a strat player’.
Thanks for all of the kind comments. I think I've tipped it off a few times but, yeah, I'm definitely a strat player at heart. I think getting rid of my strat, trying to get by with JUST the 594 and then getting another strat and falling straight in love with it was a moment of truth for me. I've been playing strats primarily for my whole playing life and I think the sound and feel of that instrument is really in my blood. I love having a humbucker guitar too (as well as one with P90s) and I really wish the 594 could have worked in that role, but I just couldn't get comfortable with it. And the Ibanez Scofield model I have does that job nicely for me. But I do grab the strat more often than any of them - it's just feels and sounds like home.

-Ray

Last edited:

-Ray

Sounded great!

I'm pretty sure I have a disease. I can't stop modulating!!!!!

I have a bit of guitar gas, too.

"More Clips, Less Talk" ~ Recorded alone in a Chicago hotel room ~ Goodall Baritone, Taylor GA6-12, Everett classical, Zoom rt223 drum/bass machine, Tascam 8-track, condenser mic ~ https://clyp.it/ibqptdmk

"The Zero Bound" was recorded this year on my 1999 PRS McCarty Archtop, with 53/10 pickups I put in a few years ago. Recorded via stereo reverb pedal into two big clean amps.

It's fingerstyle prog, with keyboards and drums. Settle in - it's six minutes long, and it gets going after a moody intro.

https://soundcloud.com/user-704424983

=K

"The Zero Bound" was recorded this year on my 1999 PRS McCarty Archtop, with 53/10 pickups I put in a few years ago. Recorded via stereo reverb pedal into two big clean amps.

It's fingerstyle prog, with keyboards and drums. Settle in - it's six minutes long, and it gets going after a moody intro.

https://soundcloud.com/user-704424983

=K
It sounds like a great étude! Thanks for sharing!

Here's an old clip of one of the very first songs I ever wrote. On my first PRS, fwiw:

Back