More Clips, Less Talk

Well, I spent from 10:00am to 4:00pm in the local studio just today. Here's the result:

Chimes with Guit.

No shredding here. To me, this one's all about tone and atmosphere. Trying to go for tones like C. Cross "Sailing", C. Isaak "Wicked Game", M. Knopfler "Why Worry", etc.

Full disclosure, the bulk of the guitar here is a fender strat, with my Bernie only making an appearance towards the end.

Heh, I'm sure I had a discussion about John McLaughlin with someone a few threads ago. D*mn it!, just like John M. on "In a Silent Way", my g*damn strat's B-string is a tad flat on this one!

PS. Question: who played the arpeggiated stuff in C. Cross's "Sailing", Cross himself? Anyone know?

Last edited:
Well, I spent from 10:00am to 4:00pm in the local studio just today. Here's the result:

Chimes with Guit.

No shredding here. To me, this one's all about tone and atmosphere. Trying to go for tones like C. Cross "Sailing", C. Isaak "Wicked Game", M. Knopfler "Why Worry", etc.

Full disclosure, the bulk of the guitar here is a fender strat, with my Bernie only making an appearance towards the end.

Heh, I'm sure I had a discussion about John McLaughlin with someone a few threads ago. D*mn it!, just like John M. on "In a Silent Way", my g*damn strat's B-string is a tad flat on this one!

PS. Question: who played the arpeggiated stuff in C. Cross's "Sailing", Cross himself? Anyone know?

You're really very, very good at writing and playing. I'm utterly impressed.

Schefman and Wolfen, thanks so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

And, in the spirit of this thread, I've now made it possible to download any of the tracks at the Garage. Hear anything that makes you feel like jamming along? Please feel free to have at it. I'd be fascinated to hear what people might come up with.

The files are just mp3s, not actual Pro Tools files, still, they should be enough to noodle over if the mood arises.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Digging everyone's tunes! Since my PRS is a Tim Mahoney model thought I'd throw in a video of myself trying my hand at a few of his solos...
Cool tone and playing, I loved the 3rd solo in particular. Which pickups do you have in there? What are you using for amp/delay here? I really loved Tim's tone on Stereolithic. I love their older stuff, but that album really did it for me across the board- tone's, melodies, writing...great songs. I saw 311 on that tour and they killed it. He started using 5708's and an Uberschall and they're a great match.

Digging everyone's tunes! Since my PRS is a Tim Mahoney model thought I'd throw in a video of myself trying my hand at a few of his solos...

Nice playing! Another guy with great chops on this forum! Man, you guys slay me.

OK, just made a six minute vid showing my new MXR EVH 5150 Overdrive pedal I got yesterday.
Using it on the Mark Five 25 with two 1x12 Mini Rec cabs.

Testing it on channel one with the clean switch with both the pedal off at first, then engaged.
I also tested it on channel two on the extreme setting with both the pedal on and off.

Both channels are on 25 watt mode.
One thing about this amp is in both 10 watt and 25 watt I can barely turn it a hair past zero for the volume.
If it is down most of the way just off of zero, it is too hard to hear, and once you start to turn it up the power comes on fast and will get me in trouble here :D

The Mark does not have a master volume, just the gain for the dirt, and the two volumes for both channels.
I wish it did have both an overall master volume, then a volume for each channel like my Blackstar amps have.

Not sure how the Archon is setup, but I would like to try out one in the future.

Also I had the Canon Rebel T5i trained at the pedalboard as I think I get too nervous when the camera is aimed at my mug :D

First song is just something I made up from hearing other stuff I have heard in the past, and the second song is AC/DCs Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be.

"One thing about this amp is in both 10 watt and 25 watt I can barely turn it a hair past zero for the volume.
...once you start to turn it up the power comes on fast and will get me in trouble here"

There are watts and then there are Mesa-watts. 25 mesa-watts is the rough equivalent of many down-market 100 watts, as you're discovering. I hear the same is true of Marshall and a few others.

The build quality from Mesa is just that solid. And you're using Mesa speakers which is the real kicker. "Volume/loudness" has always had a lot more to do with speaker efficiency than raw wattage.

Thanks for sharing, looks like a fun rig!

Thanks Leathan.
When I got back into this in 2012 after a thirty year break, I got the new Carvin V3M and cab with 2x12s.
It is a 10, 25, and 50 watt head.
The volume on it did not get away from me like the Mesa.
Oh, and the Carvin has an overall master volume, while each of the three channels has its own volume.
That is the way I like it, and I could turn up the channels volume and gain to get a great sound, and keep it low with the master.
Wish the Mesa was like that.

I should have tried out my Fryette Power Station today too as it is an attenuator, but I did not have it hooked up.

OK, just made a six minute vid showing my new MXR EVH 5150 Overdrive pedal I got yesterday.
Using it on the Mark Five 25 with two 1x12 Mini Rec cabs.

Testing it on channel one with the clean switch with both the pedal off at first, then engaged.
I also tested it on channel two on the extreme setting with both the pedal on and off.

Both channels are on 25 watt mode.
One thing about this amp is in both 10 watt and 25 watt I can barely turn it a hair past zero for the volume.
If it is down most of the way just off of zero, it is too hard to hear, and once you start to turn it up the power comes on fast and will get me in trouble here :D

The Mark does not have a master volume, just the gain for the dirt, and the two volumes for both channels.
I wish it did have both an overall master volume, then a volume for each channel like my Blackstar amps have.

Not sure how the Archon is setup, but I would like to try out one in the future.

Also I had the Canon Rebel T5i trained at the pedalboard as I think I get too nervous when the camera is aimed at my mug :D

First song is just something I made up from hearing other stuff I have heard in the past, and the second song is AC/DCs Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be.

Nice work my friend! I love that you did this. Actually that Mark V records really well! Very nice indeed!

Thanks Leathan.
When I got back into this in 2012 after a thirty year break, I got the new Carvin V3M and cab with 2x12s.
It is a 10, 25, and 50 watt head.
The volume on it did not get away from me like the Mesa.
Oh, and the Carvin has an overall master volume, while each of the three channels has its own volume.
That is the way I like it, and I could turn up the channels volume and gain to get a great sound, and keep it low with the master.
Wish the Mesa was like that.

I should have tried out my Fryette Power Station today too as it is an attenuator, but I did not have it hooked up.

The Lone Star 100 I have is 10, 50 and 100, and has a gain and master for each channel, plus an overall master volume for both channels that can be switched in or bypassed for a purer tone. Personally, I think it sounds fine on, and so I use it that way.

Nice work my friend! I love that you did this. Actually that Mark V records really well! Very nice indeed!
Thanks Les.
I have been thinking if there is a way to hook up my XLR Shure 57 to my Canon Rebel T51 camera too.
I might try making another video next weekend with the new S2.
Really enjoying that guitar!

Thanks Les.
I have been thinking if there is a way to hook up my XLR Shure 57 to my Canon Rebel T51 camera too.
Use a small and inexpensive mixer to manage the conversion. I use a little Behringer 6-channel jobbie for similar tasks.

Use a small and inexpensive mixer to manage the conversion. I use a little Behringer 6-channel jobbie for similar tasks.
Not sure how to do that.
I do have that 24 track Zoom, but it only does WAV files which I can upload to Sound Cloud.

R24-xlarge.jpg

But I just remembered I have this cable at home from when I tried one of those small Tascam recorders.
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Angled-Stereo-Female-Cable/dp/B000068NZG

It did not work too good with the Tascam, but it may work better with my Canon camera, will have to give it a shot and see if it picks up the amp loud enough or not.

https://soundcloud.com/angrydeli/break-me-down-tracking-session

(My apologies in advance if this was not the proper place to post this...)

Yesterday (3.5.16), I started recording the drum and bass tracks for my band's (A Few Remain) EP. I recorded into my MacBook Pro (using Logic Pro X) through an older PreSonus FireStudio 16 Firewire interface. The guitar I used was my trusty PRS SE Tremonti that features a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge and SD Alnico Pro II in the neck. Since it was just a scratch guitar track, I used my equally antiquated Line 6 POD X3 (Dual Rectifier patch) which I intend to record my actual parts with my PRS DGT through a Peavey 6505+ & Mesa OS 4x12 cab once the other guitar player gets his tracks recorded. This is just a basic rough mix but it just illustrates how even a SE can hold its own tone-wise with its Core model brethren. Thank you for allowing me to share!

Last edited:
Thanks Les.

I have zero idea how to hook up a mic to a video camera. In my work, I get finished video, or video work-in-progress, but I don't do the video. I just record audio and stripe it to video in Logic for client approval. But I don't do the final audio layback to picture, that's done elsewhere.

https://soundcloud.com/angrydeli/break-me-down-tracking-session

(My apologies in advance if this was not the proper place to post this...)

Yesterday (3.5.16), I started recording the drum and bass tracks for my band's (A Few Remain) EP. I recorded into my MacBook Pro (using Logic Pro X) through an older PreSonus FireStudio 16 Firewire interface. The guitar I used was my trusty PRS SE Tremonti that features a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge and SD Alnico Pro II in the neck. Since it was just a scratch guitar track, I used my equally antiquated Line 6 POD X3 (Dual Rectifier patch) which I intend to record my actual parts with my PRS DGT through a Peavey 6505+ & Mesa OS 4x12 cab once the other guitar player gets his tracks recorded. This is just a basic rough mix but it just illustrates how even a SE can hold its own tone-wise with its Core model brethren. Thank you for allowing me to share!

Yup, it more than holds its own! Everything should sound fantastic once you get the final recording session done. Thanks for posting this!

I have zero idea how to hook up a mic to a video camera. In my work, I get finished video, or video work-in-progress, but I don't do the video. I just record audio and stripe it to video in Logic for client approval. But I don't do the final audio layback to picture, that's done elsewhere.
Thanks Les.
I had a conversion cable that fits the 1/8" jacks like that goes into my Canon camera that has an XLR on the other end.
I tried recording with the Shure 57 the other day, and no go.
Must need a preamp, so for now I will stick with the built in mic on the camera.

Back