More Clips, Less Talk

File in the department of be careful what you ask for.

I did this one right after I got my HB1 spruce goldtop back from PTC, They changed it from an aftermarket piezo to a PRS piezo and moved the battery compartment from under the bridge pup (really?) to the regular battery position. Hated loosening/removing strings to change the battery - it had been dangling out of the lower f hole for a while.

Painfully out of tune, slow and awkward. Probably take 3,458 as I comment to the cat in the beginning. Still full of clams and I'm not really any better 2 years later.

Piezo because Les hates piezo.

WTF is up with my right hand pinkie?? <-- a favorite subject for my past instructors.

Did I mention painfully out of tune?

Warning: it only goes downhill when you click the play button. You have been warned.

Obligatory equipment notes:
PRS HB1 spruce goldtop piezo
Crate Telluride acoustic amp
no pedals
mic is on the Sony videocam.

Love that tune. That was the first song I learned to play when I got my acoustic

Tag, you probably don't even remember that you're the one who got me into trying my first Two-Rock amp when you sent me clips maybe 12 years ago or so. Remember? I was saying, "Well, I need an amp I can rock with, and TRs seem like they're just for fusion playing..." and then you sent me rock clips on your Two-Rock. I remember thinking, "Damn, this sounds really, really good! I want one!"

So a clip proved your point about the amp. And that was an inspiration for me to act on it. I learned something important that way.

My purpose in this thread was to say to everyone, "Hey, if you can hold a guitar and play a chord, you can do a clip. You can demonstrate a product. Let's do more than talk about gear, let's post clips and hear what we really can't adequately express in mere words."

We have had so many wide-ranging discussions over the past 15 years, and we've been friends for a long time. That's what's great about the web. Would we have ever even crossed paths in our lives without the old PRS Forum and later TGP? Probably not.

I'm glad for your friendship and for that of all the folks who've shared thoughts and ideas - and yes, even disagreed - with me over the years.

PS- I've never played a Pernambuco neck guitar, so I have no idea if I should disagree or not. LOL!
I remember Les, and I STILL love those earlier Two rocks. Just sold my last E Pro less than a year ago. It was one I had owned years earlier and bought back. Will probaby own it again some day as well!

Allright, last weekend I modified my DGT with the excellent Abraxas pickups made by Tim Mills of Bare Knuckle, Cornwall, UK.

This is the resulting sound: click

I'm really happy with it, now my DGT rings like a bell and no longer tends to "scream" as with the original pickups. Those were fine with me at first, but proved to be a bit ear-wearing the longer I played them.

Modifications didn't stop on the pickups, I also changed the control layout, using three push/pull-potentiometers, the individual volumes now splitting each pickup separately and the tone pot working as a phase reversal switch, too.

You got great tone on that track, and the playing was just right. Nice work!

Many apologies for the non-PRS guitar, but it's a really good one, regardless. It's still my Super Dallas thru the pine 2x12 in the cruddiest acoustical environment imaginable (Les will cringe).

I think it sounded GREAT. Even despite the acoustics, I could hear what the amp sounded like with the guitar. Great amp. Nice playing, too.

I liked the very woody tone you got with the combination of gear. It was just right for the track. And the willingness of the guitar to give you the goods in feedback...perfect.

Good job, to everyone I heard, and I heard all them except the Facebook videos which wouldn't open (I'm not on Facebook).

Les, very understated. No overplaying there, my man! You were GLUED to that pocket! :D
(I know, I know, I'm just kidding!).

https://soundcloud.com/edward-bernard/the-wet-dark-the-ancient-remixed - PRS Custom 24 Rosewood Neck for both Rhythm and Lead tracks

https://soundcloud.com/edward-bernard/the-wet-dark-somebodys-watching-me - PRS 408 Rosewood Neck Ebony Board for Rhythm and Lead Tracks except for the Low A rhythm track

I just got a Zappa Private Stock a few days ago in trade (still waiting to find time for pictures and a NGD) so the next new track will be all that!

EDIT: These are both metal. Adjust your computer speaker volume accordingly...

Tosca, you have a couple of the best looking guitars I've ever seen. Glad to see they're being put to good use!

Indeed. I'm going to go delete my video now...
DUDE! I tried all those facebook links from my iPad last night. I thought I'd try them again from the laptop on my lunch break, and now it says the link is gone. :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand a Rocksmith cable and Audacity (via a USB port on your PC) works nicely, in fact, I'm going to buy one right now.
I had my cable delivered today and basically it does what it says on the tin, you plug it in to a USB port and the PC recognises it. I need to figure out some effects as guitar alone is poo using Sound Forge, maybe putting my pedals in. I did a quick check to see if Reason liked it and it does and there are about as many effects in Reason as any man could want. It's not brilliant at the moment but it has potential.

As my son says, if Django can do it...
Not to mention Tony Iommi, sometimes what seems like a disability can turn out to be an ability everyone wants.

Edit: It didn't in my case though ;)

Last edited:
Back