More Clips, Less Talk

In the same prog/fingerstyle vein - here's my re-arrangement of the 16-bar New Orleans blues classic, "St James Infirmary." (RaySachs may enjoy this too)

I added some digressions and swinging drums, but it's one live take on a Gretsch 6122 guitar, into two amps in stereo - including a 1967 blackface Band Master set to 'throb.'

https://soundcloud.com/user-704424983/st-james-infirmary-full-band-version

=K

The other place seems to have been delisted, just when it was getting busier again too, shame

Me and the boys of Peyote ‘Burger haven’t been together in a year, but when we finally do, something weird and cool is bound to happen! Huge emphasis on the weird part.

Anyway, almost every practice revolves around what I’ll call evolutionary jams. The unspoken “start with something you’ve never played or heard” starts out as, maybe, atonal, arhythmic, or just incongruent then twists into something more symmetrical. It gets tough to do after playing together for a few years...hard not to get repetitious. It’s like a conversation between drunk people...a solid 1:10 of babbling “wtf” but then something clicks into place and it’s no longer an amalgam of chaos. I also tried out one of the polished Gravity Picks for the first time. :rolleyes: See if you can tell where I completely lose grip and nearly drop it. That’s the first track, And That’s That.

The second one is another tune we’ve put some miles on, but never added the lyrics. I think of it as the chase scene background music of a wild police show. This is Mush Mouth.

Anyway, this stuff is straight from the tap without any processing, quantizing, or anything to fix my raging tendency to drag that whole day. I was critical of someone else’s performance in another thread, so I figured I owed an equal exposure. Ugh, I’ll regret this, I’m sure. :oops:

Peyote ‘Burger - Practice 2-2-2019

Last edited:
Interesting. Does one of you just start doing something and the others join in? Hoping to come to something interesting.

For me the first one feels like it could be something. The solo in the last third felt like it could be shortened a fair bit, unless the plan was to fill some time - not that there wasn’t interesting elements in it. For me it just lost its identity.

The second one I couldn’t really follow. I felt like it started with what could be a good intro, but didn’t quite know what to develop into. But maybe that’s how this sort of writing goes. I think it is still waiting to decide what to become.

Sounds more critical than I meant to. It was interesting enough I kind of wanted to be there, so tried to say what I would say if I was and go about dialing it in.

I’m flattered that you thought there was some intention or purposeful proactive discussion, aka, “writing”. :DThe first one was exactly as you thought...someone starts with something and the others throw ideas out until stuff starts to stick...completely free form. The “solos” are completely spontaneous and are probably not intended to be solos, per se. The third one was more me twisting knobs on the Kemper to get the formant settings where I wanted them. If I hear Murray doing something really cool, I’ll set out to create a canvas for him.

The second idea is just that, a work in progress. It’s a really rad progression that Murray blisters through, Mike pins a nice tight groove to it and I simply add spice. After the intro, that’s supposed to be the first verse, to which we have lyrics. The vocal line hasn’t been developed, so we leave space in the instrumentation. We have an intro, a verse, and a chorus. If the lyrics get added, then we’ll call it a song. If not, we will be making it background music for a buddy’s film work. We like playing it uniquely, so this one had tremolo work I hadn’t introduced before. It’s just here to show we can play kinda tightly for at least 30 seconds at a time. An expanded concept.

Me and the boys of Peyote ‘Burger haven’t been together in a year, but when we finally do, something weird and cool is bound to happen! Huge emphasis on the weird part.

Anyway, almost every practice revolves around what I’ll call evolutionary jams. The unspoken “start with something you’ve never played or heard” starts out as, maybe, atonal, arhythmic, or just incongruent then twists into something more symmetrical. It gets tough to do after playing together for a few years...hard not to get repetitious. It’s like a conversation between drunk people...a solid 1:10 of babbling “wtf” but then something clicks into place and it’s no longer an amalgam of chaos. I also tried out one of the polished Gravity Picks for the first time. :rolleyes: See if you can tell where I completely lose grip and nearly drop it. That’s the first track, And That’s That.

The second one is another tune we’ve put some miles on, but never added the lyrics. I think of it as the chase scene background music of a wild police show. This is Mush Mouth.

Anyway, this stuff is straight from the tap without any processing, quantizing, or anything to fix my raging tendency to drag that whole day. I was critical of someone else’s performance in another thread, so I figured I owed an equal exposure. Ugh, I’ll regret this, I’m sure. :oops:

Peyote ‘Burger - Practice 2-2-2019

This is some good stuff, Boogie! The kind of music I can listen to!

Here's a couple old clips I made awhile back, one featuring my Custom 24 and the other my first CE-24.

I´ve been a little off the past months - pre deployment training, touring Afghanistan for 7,5 months, etc. -, yesterday I took my 513 and recorded something which circled around my head, still with a few mistakes. But overall song structure will remain as current arranged.

https://soundcloud.com/mr-513/20190608-newsong

A few days later recorded via selfphone by playing a Kremona-Bulgaria Ltd. Granada Z1/65 nylon string guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/mr-513/vrischikasana

Last edited:
Strung together a couple clips of cell phone footage from my gig a couple weeks ago. Not my PRS, but a bunch of the other gear I talk about on here: my pedalboard, Blues Deluxe amp, Blue Chip picks (not that you can really hear that, but anyway). And there is the fabulous PRS Paisley strap in action. We all know it is a tone enhancer. :p

Strung together a couple clips of cell phone footage from my gig a couple weeks ago. Not my PRS, but a bunch of the other gear I talk about on here: my pedalboard, Blues Deluxe amp, Blue Chip picks (not that you can really hear that, but anyway). And there is the fabulous PRS Paisley strap in action. We all know it is a tone enhancer. :p

Nice one Garrett, great chops!

Back