More Clips, Less Talk

PRS Unplugged Test 408MT verses S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow

Just messing around here with a few guitars unplugged playing something that came to my mind yesternight when I turned off my TV.

Both guitars are strung with Ernie Ball Cobalts 9-42s.
The 408 was strung up last week of July last year after a fresh setup at my dealer, and the S2 had them put on about three weeks ago when I bought the guitar.

Very hard to tell on the camera which is a Canon Rebel T5i, but I think the S2 being a semi-hollow has a little more resonance when playing unplugged.

Yes, that little thing I played came out of no where when I picked up my 408 before turning in.

The S2 is plugged into a Blackstar ID30 amp using the 6L6 tube emulation setting, and the OD2 channel.
I should have turned up the master a little more, it would have had some more bottom end.

Yesterday was also the first time I had played my since getting out when I got my new S2.
It sure feels heavy compared to my S2.
I enjoy playing both guitars, but I lean towards the new S2 since it is lighter in weight.

PRS Unplugged Test 408MT verses S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow

Just messing around here with a few guitars unplugged playing something that came to my mind yesternight when I turned off my TV.

Both guitars are strung with Ernie Ball Cobalts 9-42s.
The 408 was strung up last week of July last year after a fresh setup at my dealer, and the S2 had them put on about three weeks ago when I bought the guitar.

Very hard to tell on the camera which is a Canon Rebel T5i, but I think the S2 being a semi-hollow has a little more resonance when playing unplugged.

Yes, that little thing I played came out of no where when I picked up my 408 before turning in.

The S2 is plugged into a Blackstar ID30 amp using the 6L6 tube emulation setting, and the OD2 channel.
I should have turned up the master a little more, it would have had some more bottom end.

Yesterday was also the first time I had played my since getting out when I got my new S2.
It sure feels heavy compared to my S2.
I enjoy playing both guitars, but I lean towards the new S2 since it is lighter in weight.

Cool idea to play both unplugged! I like what you did!

Thanks Les.
Could you tell any difference which sounded louder/clearer unplugged?

The semi was a little louder, but what struck me more was the tonal balance. The semi being more full and open sounding, vs. the 408, which had almost a "pinging" sound on the notes. Not in a bad way, they just sound different, and that's what gives each guitar its character when amplified. I hear the same with my S2 Semi vs Standard, the semi has big fat tones with relaxed attack, the standard is punchier and more focused. Cool video!

I decided to mix the "Messin'" track I posted using the Cab Clone, only this time WITH a speaker cabinet impulse response on the track. I used an impulse response of a Mesa Recto cab with a V-30 and a Creamback, miked with an AEA R-84 ribbon.

In my opinion, this adds a realism, makes the track a little less muddy, and gives it something of a lift.

The differences are subtle, but I think they add quite a nice vibe to the track. Here's the link to the version with CabClone and Impulse Response:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/messin-v2-mstr

They sounded different. A semi hollow being more like an acoustic guitar will usually be a little louder unplugged.
Yeah, that is what I thought.
The semi was a little louder, but what struck me more was the tonal balance. The semi being more full and open sounding, vs. the 408, which had almost a "pinging" sound on the notes. Not in a bad way, they just sound different, and that's what gives each guitar its character when amplified. I hear the same with my S2 Semi vs Standard, the semi has big fat tones with relaxed attack, the standard is punchier and more focused. Cool video!
Thanks Andy.
Also when I had set the master volume on the amp I had done it with the 408 on the bridge pickup.
When I played the S2 later in the vid with its bridge pickup, the amp was quieter.
That is why I made a comment earlier that I should have turned up the amp a bit more.

The 408 bridge pickup def is hotter/louder than the S2s #7 bridge pickup.
Would dig having a set of the 408 pickups with black rings on the S2, but that would get very expensive since PRS would be doing it.
Probably going to get the Seymour Duncan black 59s put in later via my dealer.

I decided to mix the "Messin'" track I posted using the Cab Clone, only this time WITH a speaker cabinet impulse response on the track. I used an impulse response of a Mesa Recto cab with a V-30 and a Creamback, miked with an AEA R-84 ribbon.

In my opinion, this adds a realism, makes the track a little less muddy, and gives it something of a lift.

The differences are subtle, but I think they add quite a nice vibe to the track. Here's the link to the version with CabClone and Impulse Response:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/messin-v2-mstr
Sounded great Les.
Looks like you have a fan on your page too, Pamela :D
She made a remark at 1:35.

Sounded great Les.
Looks like you have a fan on your page too, Pamela :D
She made a remark at 1:35.

Really? I've never had a fan before!

Edit: turns out Pamela promotes music. "Hey, you should be making a living from your music..."

I'm already doing that.

I'm just not getting groupies. Not that I could actually, you know, handle having groupies at this point.

Dr. Cavort-ian.

I knew Dr. Kevorkian; had to cross-examine him regarding a cause of death very early in my former career, when he was the Oakland County Medical Examiner.

He wasn't much of a cavorting fan, though.

Back to the topic for a moment, were you able to tell the difference between the Cab Clone with the impulse response, and without?

Back to the topic for a moment, were you able to tell the difference between the Cab Clone with the impulse response, and without?

The clip with impulse response sounded more detailed to me, maybe more complexity in the highs?

Evaluated through my iPhone speakers, so take with a grain of salt. Probably nuances in the bass I'm not hearing at all. Sorry Les, working 12 today and the phone is all I've got!

Back