Moral Dilemma with PRS SE Nick Catanese Signature

darkvoice

I recently had an unusual encounter with a PRS SE Nick Catanese Signature guitar. When I saw it for sale I loved it - Les Paul style body, red body/neck/head binging on black body/fretboard/hardware, active EMG pickups. Perfect guitar for metal!

Guitar arrived and I was happy with it for some time. Then one day I decided to watch what Youtube reviews say on the guitar and came across the video saying that Nick Catanese - the musician whose name is on the headstock of my guitar - was a convicted teen sex offender. My initial reaction was a skeptical one, however later I confirmed this info through multiple sources, including Catanese's former band mate Zakk Wylde condemning him. Quite disgusting stuff. Apparently the trial and conviction took place after PRS released Catanese's signature instrument.

From that moment on I could not touch the guitar bearing Catanese's name, could not even look at it! To me having a guitar with his name would be equal to promoting/endorsing what he did. I want to stay as far as possible away from it! I will get rid of it, hopefully someone will buy it.

What do you think about my experience? Would it matter to you?

Last edited:
I recently had an unusual encounter with a PRS SE Nick Catanese Signature guitar. When I saw it for sale I loved it - Les Paul style body, red body/neck/head binging on black body/fretboard/hardware, active EMG pickups. Perfect guitar for metal!

Guitar arrived and I was happy with it for some time. Then one day I decided to watch what Youtube reviews say on the guitar and came across the video saying that Nick Catanese - the musician whose name is on the headstock of my guitar - was a convicted teen sex offender. My initial reaction was a skeptical one, however later I confirmed this info through multiple sources, including Catanese's former band mate Zakk Wylde condemning him. Quite disgusting stuff. Apparently the trial and conviction took place after PRS released Catanese's signature instrument.

From that moment on I could not touch the guitar bearing Catanese's name, could not even look at it! To me having a guitar with his name would be equal to promoting/endorsing what he did. I want to stay as far as possible away from it! I will get rid of it, hopefully someone will buy it.

What do you think about my experience? Would it matter to you?

If it were me, I would just wipe everything that has his name on it. If his name is on the headstock, Im putting vinyl wrap over it. Point is, its not HIS guitar, its yours and you can make it look like yours. The guitar has no idea whose name its sold under or what print is on the headstock, so look at it as a blank canvas you can make your mark on.

That said, if there is one thing I dont like about SEs from that time the Cantanese came out is that some of them had elements that could not be removed. The black Cantanese model has an atrocious white logo on the body, the Akerfeldt sig has a giant "O" logo, you get what I mean. You have to just live with those garish things.

What Draconomics said - cover or remove his name. You’re not endorsing him in any way. If you like the way the guitar plays and sounds, then play it for redemption.

And if anyone asks what you’re playing, it’s a PRS. If they want more, it’s an old SE they don’t make anymore.

What he did has no bearing on you or the guitar.

Yes, Catanese is a monster.

He also happens to have had the same taste in specs as you and made a great instrument for you.

Given the stigma, it’s not gonna really go up in value so why not de-Catanese it? Do some things to change the cosmetics that make it feel like it’s not really that model anymore.

Some people also feel better after giving to a related cause. Places like RAINN are a good option, or anything rated highly by Charity Navigator.

Get rid of it and be done with it. If anyone knows about this evil puke, and sees you with that guitar, the association might be made.

I agree with de-badging the guitar and playing it...or having a nice fire. Those people are the worst of the worst. A can of Rustoleum or Testors will remedy the name/logo.

Make it a Harrison/Page/Clapton tribute and give it a cool paint job.

I don't envy you, it makes me mad reading it here...the name!

Thanks to all who replied!

Sure, I know it's not the guitar's fault that Catanese turned to be a monster, however I just don't want to own anything even remotely linked to him.

The guitar has to go.

I felt the same as you did over nicks signature model, but I decided that since = A, he longer plays them (hasn't since 2014) and be B the guitar itself was such a dream to play then I'd change mine up a bit.

51221974707_bfb0c3fdd0_o.jpg

Like others have said you're not endorsing the things he's done (he already had his percentage of the sales) your just playing a fantastic playing and sound guitar, de-badge it and if anyone asks just say it a older SE that is out of production and has been for some time.

If it bothers you, it bothers you. Cut it up and have a ceremonial cleansing fire with it. It’s just wood and wire. You don’t want to pass on bad mojo to the next guy.

Then, as a reward for ridding the world of this stain on music, go buy a nice Dustie Waring or Tremonti and shake some walls.

Yeah...that's a tough one...Yes, he's a TOTAL dirt-bag, but apparently so are Kevin Spacey, and Harvey Weinstein... but I'll watch the movie "7even" (Seven??) whenever its on...
(And I don't even know which movies/shows Weinstein is a part of...???)

Make it your own!!! They're great guitars...Cover the headstock, and like someone already said, you might have guilt for actually selling it and taking money.

Learn to do a refinish job, what do you have to lose? You could also just sand it down, my old Tremonti SE had pretty nice mahogany under that paint, and it would be easy to keep the binding that way. You can do a really easy wipe on poly or tung oil finish if you don't want to paint.

Yeah...that's a tough one...Yes, he's a TOTAL dirt-bag, but apparently so are Kevin Spacey, and Harvey Weinstein... but I'll watch the movie "7even" (Seven??) whenever its on...
(And I don't even know which movies/shows Weinstein is a part of...???)

The Weinstein Group produced most of Kevin Smith's movies. After the Weinstein story broke, Smith decided to donate future earnings from those movies to a women's group.

To help the real victims, the actresses whose dreams Weinstein crushed, Smith pledged his future residuals from the films Weinstein produced to the non-profit organisation Women in Film.

The Weinstein Group produced most of Kevin Smith's movies. After the Weinstein story broke, Smith decided to donate future earnings from those movies to a women's group.
Kevin Smith is a class act.

Or a nifty way to distance from Weinstein after the fact? Legit question

Back