Moral Dilemma with PRS SE Nick Catanese Signature

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by darkvoice, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Draconomics

Draconomics Celebrating 16 years of crappy tone

Ill share a similar story. I used to have an Egnater rebel 20 amp and cab, but the thing failed after a couple months. It took 18 months to ever get a response from Egnater customer service. I ended up taking it to a local repair tech, and they couldn't make heads or tails of it. Somewhere around that time I actually got a hold of Bruce Egnater, and he suggested to send it to their repair facility. I did....and it took a year before I heard back. So, my amp was sitting on a bench somewhere while a bunch of goons were eating sandwiches. I got it back, and still had to pay labor on repairs that didnt do anything, and two months later...transformer died again. So, this whole thing took three years to end up in the same place. I sold the thing to a guy in Jersey for cheap and tore apart the cab removing any Egnater logos/schwazz.

I totally get the mindset of ditching gear that has a certain bad mojo to it. At the same time, If you can scrub out the offending names/logos, to me that's a better justice. I still have the cab and you'd never know it was an Egnater. I probably could have kept the amp and done the same, but I was just gassed, I wanted it out of my house. I would have traded it for a six pack at that point.

2. RC Mike

RC Mike New Member

Either way, the act is more important than the motivations behind it. We get too cynical and suspicious, and we miss the good that otherwise wouldn't have been done.

3. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 NJ Devil

And that guy from Jersey…Kevin Smith.
    :p:D
    (I was hoping it was somehow tied together being that Kevin is a Jersey guy!)

Draconomics, bodia and alantig like this.
  4. Draconomics

Draconomics Celebrating 16 years of crappy tone

Great scott! Its all connected!!

Fullmoon 1971 and DISTORT6 like this.
  5. WEDGE

WEDGE Zombie five, DFZ

Send it to me, always wanted one as they have a killer spec. I’ll sand it down and remove all the bad karma and refinish it with a spray can. Dirtbag finish for a dirtbags guitar.

bodia, aphantomvaper, ScottR and 4 others like this.
  6. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Class act. He uses his friends in the movies. One of his friends, Walt Flanagan, and he used to talk about owning their own comic book store when they were kids. When he became successful, Kevin bought the comic book store in Red Bank so Walt could run it, which ultimately led to Walt and two other friends of Kevin's starting a podcast, which led to Comic Book Men. He also does a thing at airports and other places where fans of his are working but are not allowed to ask for pictures. He asks them for a picture, then posts it so they can download it w/o getting in trouble.

Here's a story for you - some years ago, they announced that they were going to do a live recording of Smodcast in Red Bank. It just so happened to be on the Sunday of Experience weekend. My sister-in-law lived in Long Branch at the time, so I asked her if they could put me up for a night, and after Experience I headed up there. By the time I'd heard about it, they'd sold out of the announced number of meet and greet tix (which got you a copy of his new book and a chance to get it signed after the show). I made the call anyway, and they were able to hook me up with a ticket for it. Went to the show, got my book and my DVD of "Chasing Amy" signed afterwards, and chatted to Kevin and Scott Mosier about Pittsburgh a bit (since they've done a couple flicks here). Then everything moved to the lobby for pictures. Got someone to take my picture w/the two of them, and then someone asked me if I'd mind taking their picture, which I'm always happy to do because a number of folks have done me the solid over the years when I've been at things alone. So I did theirs, and someone else asked, and I think I did three or four groups. Walked over to the table where I'd put my camera and started packing it up, and I felt a tap on my shoulder and heard someone say, "Hey man." Turn around - it's Kevin. He stopped taking pictures to come over and tell me he thought it was a really cool thing for me to stick around an extra few minutes and take pictures for a few folks, especially because I'd said I was driving home the next day.

7. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Nothing to do with @shimmilou as a post, and no offense intended, but this demonstrates the “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” nature of trying to please social media. It’s a lost cause. You just have to do what you think is right and pass on trying to please or convince anyone… in this world, it ain’t gonna happen. Satisfy your own conscience and move on.

8. darkvoice

darkvoice New Member

Your modified guitar looks awesome, thanks for sharing!

aphantomvaper likes this.
  9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

It's hard to be an innocent piece of wood and parts these days.

bodia, october3, shimmilou and 8 others like this.
  10. Ovibos

Ovibos Naughty Wood Librarian

To bring it back to Kevin Smith, this thread feels like the “contractors on the Death Star” debate from Clerks.

bodia, ScottR, horax and 2 others like this.
  11. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

As others have suggested, I would make the guitar (which truly is just a bunch of wood and electronics, hardware, and strings) "mine" - a signature "shinksma" model if this was me and my guitar.

The name on the headstock didn't touch that guitar. So refinish it completely! @sergiodeblanc can offer you some tips...

Warmart and Fullmoon 1971 like this.
  12. Warmart

Warmart Fani PRSi

I sure wouldn't part with it, that looser :mad: has NOTHING to do with it. Just as shinksma and other's have said. You of course have to do what ever suits you, but I'd wrap that rascal and be done with it.

veinbuster likes this.
  13. Dolebludger

Dolebludger New Member

Before I became violent to a good guitar, I would like to know more about the facts behind Nick’s conviction. Was he 40 and forceably raped a 13 year old (very bad) or was he 20 and had consensual sex with a mature looking 17 year old (something that isn’t really immoral but is common but technically illegal)?

14. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

He was 46, the minor was 14

Ovibos likes this.
  15. Ovibos

Ovibos Naughty Wood Librarian

C'mon man...

https://lmgtfy.app/#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=nick catanese guilty

bodia likes this.
  16. Dolebludger

Dolebludger New Member

Question answered. Him 46, her14 —- yeah that is very bad.

shimmilou and Ovibos like this.