Moments of Doubt and Pain

There was this pretty interesting interview with Ed O’Brien of Radiohead on That Pedal Show this past weekend, where he talked about the “6 Stages of Creativity” (pretty sure he was kidding around with them, but gosh it rang true for me):

1. “This is great!”
2. “This isn’t very good.”
3. “It’s sh!t.”
4. “I’m sh!t.”
5. “Maybe it’s OK.”
6. “This is great!”

He said he was stuck at Stage 4 on his solo record. o_O

Heck, if he feels that way about his record, which, let’s face it, is likely to be a very fine record, because he’s Ed Freakin’ O’Brien, maybe I shouldn’t be quite so embarrassed at being in Stage 4 Myself! :)

I finally gave the album a listen.

Two, actually.

At first it seemed, nice, perhaps a bit too keyboard heavy for my normal fair, but by the second half of the album I was really getting into it. When I got to the last song, I really didn't want it to stop.

The production is excellent, the mix is sublime.

Ten bucks seems like a steal.

Thank you.

I finally gave the album a listen.

Two, actually.

At first it seemed, nice, perhaps a bit too keyboard heavy for my normal fair, but by the second half of the album I was really getting into it. When I got to the last song, I really didn't want it to stop.

The production is excellent, the mix is sublime.

Ten bucks seems like a steal.

Thank you.

I’m honored that you like it. Thank you!

Les...I've been listening to this to and from work this week. I gotta say...I liked it at first, but it's grown on me a bit. Now I really like it! Congrats to you for 1: the creativity to produce something like this and 2: the confidence to put it out there (Ok...it took a little prodding,;) but you still put it out there!)

"....And hey, nothing wrong with streaming it! CDBaby is sending it to Spotify, Apple Music, and other streaming services, so heck, if you ever listen to it again, use one of those... "

And she's alive on amazon music, so have it now - thanks a lot.

Les...I've been listening to this to and from work this week. I gotta say...I liked it at first, but it's grown on me a bit. Now I really like it! Congrats to you for 1: the creativity to produce something like this and 2: the confidence to put it out there (Ok...it took a little prodding,;) but you still put it out there!)

Couldn’t have released it without your encouragement, for which I will be forever grateful, and thank you for the kind words!

"....And hey, nothing wrong with streaming it! CDBaby is sending it to Spotify, Apple Music, and other streaming services, so heck, if you ever listen to it again, use one of those... "

And she's alive on amazon music, so have it now - thanks a lot.

Thank you! Glad for that!

Turns out, I’m glad I did this. The only thing to fear was, indeed, fear itself. I’m floored by the response so far, especially in the film/video community where folks have responded in lovely ways!

To anyone hesitant to release their recordings, take it from a fellow self-hater: Just do it!

Also, I have to say that CDBaby is a terrific company to partner with. They do what they say they’re going to do, there are great resources, etc.

Glad you liked it. That’s the most important thing, at least, that’s how I think about it. That’s a lot better than, “It sucked.”

And hey, nothing wrong with streaming it! CDBaby is sending it to Spotify, Apple Music, and other streaming services, so heck, if you ever listen to it again, use one of those.

I told my wife folks have started downloading the album, and she said, “What? No one even knows about it.” I said some of the folks on the guitar forum know about it.

“Oh...” she said, teasing me, “Pity purchases.”

I said, “Yeah, for sure, but I prefer to delude myself and call them friendship purchases.”

Please convey my thanks! I suppose they could be remixed as dance music.
Are you going to make the stems available ;)

Hadn’t thought about it! What do other folks do?
This is your baby. I was only kidding around. I applaud your fearless gumption!

But to answer your question, generally when an artist agrees to have their song remixed they provide the processed or unprocessed WAV stems and allow the remixer to pull the parts that are the essence of the song and add their changes to what they keep.

Look up Delerium's song Silence which features Sarah McLachlan's vocal (The Classic Chillout Album 2002 third song) then look for the Michael Woods remix (Chilled Sirens 2002 last song) as a comparison .... Woods uses her vocals but then adds the sounds and tempo changes that are his interpretation of their song.

Verve has several very good remixed albums out of their original artist recordings (back in the day when the artist and songs were owned by the recording companies). Not everything gets remixed up to 134 bpm dance music.

Chris Issak's "Wicked Games" covered by Parra For Cuva. You can find it on Youtube, though it is crappy fidelity.

Last edited:
This is your baby. I was only kidding around. I applaud your fearless gumption!

But to answer your question, generally when an artist agrees to have their song remixed they provide the processed or unprocessed WAV stems and allow the remixer to pull the parts that are the essence of the song and add their changes to what they keep.

Look up Delerium's song Silence which features Sarah McLachlan's vocal (The Classic Chillout Album 2002 third song) then look for the Michael Woods remix (Chilled Sirens 2002 last song) as a comparison .... Woods uses her vocals but then adds the sounds and tempo changes that are his interpretation of their song.

Verve has several very good remixed albums out of their original artist recordings (back in the day when the artist and songs were owned by the recording companies). Not everything gets remixed up to 134 bpm dance music.

Chris Issak's "Wicked Games" covered by Parra For Cuva. You can find it on Youtube, though it is crappy fidelity.

Oh, of course, I know what remixes are, but...the artists you’re referencing aren’t making remix stems available to the general public; remixers are getting label permissions, etc., subject to the artists approval.

I would be surprised if artists are just making stems available for the general public to mess around with, though in this day and age, maybe not TOO surprised. :)

I probably wouldn't be eager to do it just because I have lots of tracks that would have to be put into various stems, and it’d be time consuming just to go over all of the material again. I’ve got three years into this stuff! I need to give it a rest for awhile.

Oh, of course, I know what remixes are, but...the artists you’re referencing aren’t making remix stems available to the general public; remixers are getting label permissions, etc., subject to the artists approval.

I would be surprised if artists are just making stems available for the general public to mess around with, though in this day and age, maybe not TOO surprised. :)

I probably wouldn't be eager to do it just because I have lots of tracks that would have to be put into various stems, and it’d be time consuming just to go over all of the material again. I’ve got three years into this stuff! I need to give it a rest for awhile.

I misconstrued what I read. I figured you knew what stems were but thought more explanation was to be offered.

There are plenty of stems available from a variety of sources, sometimes part of a "remix" competition sponsored by some entity and occasionally from well known artists. I used to use www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm to download stems while learning how to mix and remix, for my own educational purposed of course.

You do have smashing stuff though. It makes me want to do visuals, which was my brd & btr.

I misconstrued what I read. I figured you knew what stems were but thought more explanation was to be offered.

There are plenty of stems available from a variety of sources, sometimes part of a "remix" competition sponsored by some entity and occasionally from well known artists. I used to use www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm to download stems while learning how to mix and remix, for my own educational purposed of course.

Ah, that’s probably a lot of fun, actually!

I played guitar today instead of messing with my mixes, and my tracks, and my masters, and my head! It was kind of a relief!

You do have smashing stuff though. It makes me want to do visuals, which was my brd & btr.

I need to thank you for the kind words, and I forgot to do that when I first read the post, so a big thank you.

I’m so used to scoring to picture; the music is my impression of moments and images in my head. I actually call it impressionist electronica. So if it conjures images in a listener, that makes me really, really happy!

If you put together footage that might work with the music, go for it!

Am listening to Les' work just now...and have to say that although I'm not a usually a fan of electronica, Les' songs aren't your usual electronica songs you might hear in a dance club, or something similar. If you've ever heard the band Enigma, there are elements of that there. Not the same, but I'd say Les has heard these folks before. Some inspiring tunes.

I personally liked Journey of Hands, and Life on Tralfamadore, 'Life' for its unpredictable breaks in the song and the guitar tone from Wire Transfer (that was guitar, yes?)

I've also never heard electric piano used that morphs into synth as it did in Two Four. That was a ingenious way of approaching the song.

Avarice had its own "driving into the city" newsreel type of sound. I think I enjoyed that tune the most as it layered parts together and built on a common theme. It was good to hear some cohesive theme there.

Loose had a mysterious whodunnit feel to it. The lurking English female inspector poking about the crime scene revealing the clues as it transpired kind of thing...likewise Snake Eyes, the syndicated crime drama background travel music where the 2 lead investigators share a ride together to destination unknown...

And the conclusive 8 May where the hero says goodbye to his deceased love of his life and walks away from the burial service into the city streets, and the scene fades to vignette unfocused and the credits roll...

This is what I can visualize in Les' work. It may not be truthful or entirely accurate, but Les' songs have merit and could easily be employed for such film or TV background music...

Thanks, Les, you've given us a glimpse into your mindset and how your work is built on film and TV music...

Back