Modifying a Hollowbody for Coil-Tapping?

jeffgoobs

Question for owners of PRS Guitars within the Hollowbody line: has anyone modified his or her guitar to accommodate a coil-tapping feature for the pickups? I've read numerous threads about this from other sites, and I was hoping to get some opinions. My HB has the original Archtop Bass and Treble pickups in it. I know these are not splittable, so I'm looking for recommendations for not only a pair of splittable pickups which are voiced nicely for the guitar, but also suggestions on how to mod the guitar itself to accomplish the coil tap. I know that the push-pull pots which are normally used in the McCarty line are too deep, and would interfere with the L. R. Baggs piezo system, so I'd probably have to put in a mini-switch, or swap the position of the volume and tone pots, which I'd prefer not to do. Any thoughts?

Several suggestions/examples of how to do this in this thread:
http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?5849-Coil-splitting-a-Singlecut-Hollowbody-II
I like my suggestion best as it allows for independent coil splits without sacrificing the piezo or changing the guitar's cosmetics.
As far as a suggestion on a pickup for coil split sounds on a PRS HB...IMO the 53/10 or 57/08 work best...the 58/15 or 85/15 have nicer SC sound in the solid bodies...and yes I've tried every combination.

As far as a suggestion on a pickup for coil split sounds on a PRS HB...IMO the 53/10 or 57/08 work best...

Thanks for the reply. None of these pickups existed back in the day when I was still buying guitars, so I don't know a whole lot about them. How do the sets differ from each other? Pardon my ignorance. Matt at the PTC (whom I contacted today) recommended the 57/08 combo for this mod.... Is there somewhere that describes the differences sonically?

Back