Modified Monday

My residence is not in the USA, but in Europe, more precise in good ol' Germany.
A few of you might know Crazyparts. They deliver nice aged spare parts for those who are keen on young but old looking guitars, for pickups (Bernie Marsden's The Beast f. e.), or as the manufacturer for spare parts which PRS in general installs on PS guitars (wooden knobs, tuner buttons, tips...).
My personal advantage is, that I live very close to them as of AUG 17. No, it was not the purpose. Before that, the opportunity was given to visit them, if we stayed at my parents in law's home. 15 min distance from their position.
As far as you know my 513 MT ran through some optical and functional mods (first: security strap locks and pins; second: Crazyparts ebony tuner buttons and EIRW tips for the switches and the vibrato arm instead of the genuine stuff) and then to a severe electrical and sound influencing mod (from PCB to hand-wiring and enhanced shielding). My friend Peter Steinacher (an Austrian based luthier) made me (and my dear friend @g.wizz) two EIRW back plates, which for my guitar I etched to the shade of the tips.
A few months later I noticed in Crazyparts' webshop LS type of knobs in a shade '"Baltic Sea" Amber Style'. By short noticed an appointment has been arranged, I bought them. They look amazing on the Black Gold top, from my perspective ;-)
Recently I saw additional products on their homepage: tips... I needed to acquire them. "Andy, time for an appointment? I'll be there within 10 or 15 min." "Yes, sure. I'm in my workshop doing some aging."
Unfortunately material is currently off, therefore tuner buttons can't be produced. But as soon as they are available...
But that will be the last mod.

Long story short a picture of the current outlook:

dscn3204-jpg.586784

My residence is not in the USA, but in Europe, more precise in good ol' Germany.
A few of you might know Crazyparts. They deliver nice aged spare parts for those who are keen on young but old looking guitars, for pickups (Bernie Marsden's The Beast f. e.), or as the manufacturer for spare parts which PRS in general installs on PS guitars (wooden knobs, tuner buttons, tips...).
My personal advantage is, that I live very close to them as of AUG 17. No, it was not the purpose. Before that, the opportunity was given to visit them, if we stayed at my parents in law's home. 15 min distance from their position.
As far as you know my 513 MT ran through some optical and functional mods (first: security strap locks and pins; second: Crazyparts ebony tuner buttons and EIRW tips for the switches and the vibrato arm instead of the genuine stuff) and then to a severe electrical and sound influencing mod (from PCB to hand-wiring and enhanced shielding). My friend Peter Steinacher (an Austrian based luthier) made me (and my dear friend @g.wizz) two EIRW back plates, which for my guitar I etched to the shade of the tips.
A few months later I noticed in Crazyparts' webshop LS type of knobs in a shade '"Baltic Sea" Amber Style'. By short noticed an appointment has been arranged, I bought them. They look amazing on the Black Gold top, from my perspective ;-)
Recently I saw additional products on their homepage: tips... I needed to acquire them. "Andy, time for an appointment? I'll be there within 10 or 15 min." "Yes, sure. I'm in my workshop doing some aging."
Unfortunately material is currently off, therefore tuner buttons can't be produced. But as soon as they are available...

dscn3204-jpg.586784

Such a great looking guitar!

dscn3204-jpg.586784

So sweet!

I finally got around to installing a set of BKP Mule's into my Hollowbody II this weekend.
I had the new pickups in my les Paul for a few weeks to get a feel for them and finally worked the courage to take a soldering iron to one of my PRSi. (Point of no return)
To be honest I was a little unsure where to start. Where's the access panel??
But after a few drinks I decided to find out how hard could it really be?
Thankfully it all went well, but will give it a run at rehearsal this week to see it how it goes in a full mix.

*Edit: Added a few pics instead of IG link.\

The finished product
23101794_239390939926167_7274329729199505408_n.jpg

Keeping the excess cable neat and tidy
23101293_450316212031470_8909012746121510912_n.jpg

Ground wire on the back of the bridge pickup - same as the original.
23101024_1011227095684264_2068847306525900800_n.jpg

Modcat decoder said this was a custom colour, which is kinda cool
23164230_175594359659916_581041553967939584_n.jpg

The switch removed and where the new pickups get wired too
23161335_181347925755969_8424278407767916544_n.jpg

23161634_126774258007291_6048601626913013760_n.jpg

The calm before the storm
23101731_127846007923899_4890643010431221760_n.jpg

Last edited:
Had some spare weekend time so, in anticipation of modified Monday...
37803229534_bac92a12c5_c.jpg

37803233584_487b43a3c5_c.jpg

We play several outdoor gigs without anything more than moonlight/ambient light and I would occasionally mis-fret a half step going from rhythm to lead so thought I'd give it a shot to install some Luminlays. Installed them on my Tremonti SE and SHSC as both had no binding and both originally had white fret markers for an "even swap". Fairly easy to do, as always, just take your time. Used a 2mm brad bit to center mark and start the hole by hand, followed up with a 3/64 drill bit and cordless drill to slowly tap out the original markers. A dab of super glue followed by some sanding. Hardest part was sanding flat the upper fret markers by the neck joint. Just have to mask off the body to prevent scuffing and use a small sanding block. As I already satin buff my necks, a final rub with the scotch brite pad and all done. Took maybe 30 mins per guitar and in the day light, just looks stock.
Cost all of $21 so it was even cheaper than buying a light and eliminates my romantic evening anxieties!

We play several outdoor gigs without anything more than moonlight/ambient light and I would occasionally mis-fret a half step going from rhythm to lead so thought I'd give it a shot to install some Luminlays. Installed them on my Tremonti SE and SHSC as both had no binding and both originally had white fret markers for an "even swap". Fairly easy to do, as always, just take your time. Used a 2mm brad bit to center mark and start the hole by hand, followed up with a 3/64 drill bit and cordless drill to slowly tap out the original markers. A dab of super glue followed by some sanding. Hardest part was sanding flat the upper fret markers by the neck joint. Just have to mask off the body to prevent scuffing and use a small sanding block. As I already satin buff my necks, a final rub with the scotch brite pad and all done. Took maybe 30 mins per guitar and in the day light, just looks stock.
Cost all of $21 so it was even cheaper than buying a light and eliminates my romantic evening anxieties!
That
Is
Cool!
:cool:

Sweet!

Official Bangin’! Award winner

I'll never understand why some people insist upon ruining their guitars with modifications :iamconfused: ... The negative effects on resale value alone is enough for me to keep all of my PRS stock from the factory as Paul intended!

If you want to tinker with pickups or something just get a kit guitar or a partscaster to mess around with. Once you break that first solder joint or install a TRC with a non-factory spec screw the guitar is worthless... you might even scratch something.
boy talk about a drag.

Made a few tweaks on the RLCE24.

Already had Schaller straplocks and the MannMade bridge.

You may know from other threads that I'm not totally enamored of cream plastics. Felt like it was unneeded contrast.

The RL Vela is all black, so why not the CE?

Added PRS black rings and toggle tip:

rUGtnW4_d.jpg

I do wish the rings were matte, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Oh, and switched to 9.5s also.

Back