Modified Monday

Hi everyone, I had posted this in another thread but Bodia suggested that it would also be welcomed here.
Seeing that it is now officially Monday where I live, I offer you the good people of the PRS Forum my contribution to Modified Monday.

As a sucker for triple humbucker guitars I routed my 98' Custom 22 for a middle pickup.
The original Dragon II's were sold before I ever removed them from the guitar.
That helped me fund a trio of standard wind Lollar Imperial pickups in nickle.
A neck and two bridge.
So I whipped out the power tools and went to town...

Before:
DSC05126_zpsweghehmp.jpg

It was an agonizing decision, but I think I did the right thing. I've had this guitar for a long time and love it dearly,
but it didn't inspire me anymore. Selling it or trading it was out of the question, so I turned it into something
that gets my blood flowing once again. I retained the original 5 way rotary and wired it back to the neck & bridge pickups.
So that I have the neck, parallel singles, series singles, outside coils, and bridge. Adding the middle to any of these via push pull gives me
10 very usable tones. Then I can also split the middle via another push pull for a little less output, but still very musical tone.

During:
DSC05641_zps6om3ytdj.jpg

And after:
DSC05665_zps4brnvjhn.jpg

My%20triple%20prs909_n_zpsxfi27cw3.jpg

my%20triple%20prs3371_n_zpsetjrgonh.jpg

my%20trople%20prs7371_n_zpsjulpi1i6.jpg

Replaced the output jack with a Pure Tone jack, Sozo .047 tone cap and a treble bleed.

Also drilled & tapped the bridge for 6-32 set screws to keep it from falling off at string change time.
Its strung with a set of Curt Mangan 10 - 46 nickle wound strings.

The Lollars have really impressed me. Adding in the middle pickup with full coils adds a nice bit of fullness to the mix.
with the middle pickup split it's similar just slightly less output.

That's it. Just another hacked up 19 year old PRS 22 Custom.
I love it!

Hi everyone, I had posted this in another thread but Bodia suggested that it would also be welcomed here.
Seeing that it is now officially Monday where I live, I offer you the good people of the PRS Forum my contribution to Modified Monday.

As a sucker for triple humbucker guitars I routed my 98' Custom 22 for a middle pickup.
The original Dragon II's were sold before I ever removed them from the guitar.
That helped me fund a trio of standard wind Lollar Imperial pickups in nickle.
A neck and two bridge.
So I whipped out the power tools and went to town...

Before:
DSC05126_zpsweghehmp.jpg

It was an agonizing decision, but I think I did the right thing. I've had this guitar for a long time and love it dearly,
but it didn't inspire me anymore. Selling it or trading it was out of the question, so I turned it into something
that gets my blood flowing once again. I retained the original 5 way rotary and wired it back to the neck & bridge pickups.
So that I have the neck, parallel singles, series singles, outside coils, and bridge. Adding the middle to any of these via push pull gives me
10 very usable tones. Then I can also split the middle via another push pull for a little less output, but still very musical tone.

During:
DSC05641_zps6om3ytdj.jpg

And after:
DSC05665_zps4brnvjhn.jpg

My%20triple%20prs909_n_zpsxfi27cw3.jpg

my%20triple%20prs3371_n_zpsetjrgonh.jpg

my%20trople%20prs7371_n_zpsjulpi1i6.jpg

Replaced the output jack with a Pure Tone jack, Sozo .047 tone cap and a treble bleed.

Also drilled & tapped the bridge for 6-32 set screws to keep it from falling off at string change time.
Its strung with a set of Curt Mangan 10 - 46 nickle wound strings.

The Lollars have really impressed me. Adding in the middle pickup with full coils adds a nice bit of fullness to the mix.
with the middle pickup split it's similar just slightly less output.

That's it. Just another hacked up 19 year old PRS 22 Custom.
I love it!
Funnily enough, I really dig this!

I'm actually starting to diversify! I've now got 2 x 2 pickups guitars; the DC22 and I just picked up something else... I'm yet to touch and hear it so not sure how far I will go with this one...

OH boy! I've got some stuff coming that I may have to break out a drill for! I haven't added to this thread in awhile. Need to do something about that!

Since I'm thinking of it now, and it's already Monday in the land of Oz, here is my S2 Singlecut Standard modified for Soapbars. I took a gamble on a sub $40 set of Artec low wind A5 pickups and the gamble paid off. They sound incredibly good. I repurposed the push/pull pots to do series and out of phase, which adds a few more great tones to the mix.

NQmHSZz.jpg

Since I'm thinking of it now, and it's already Monday in the land of Oz, here is my S2 Singlecut Standard modified for Soapbars. I took a gamble on a sub $40 set of Artec low wind A5 pickups and the gamble paid off. They sound incredibly good. I repurposed the push/pull pots to do series and out of phase, which adds a few more great tones to the mix.

NQmHSZz.jpg
Excellent job!
I've had great luck with the Artec A5 P90's.

NQmHSZz.jpg
Lovely job! Makes me want to put soapys in something! My S2 Mira hasn't been getting much love lately... Hmm...

STEALTH MOD!

Guitar pic, because we all love guitar pics, but it looks like any Custom 22:

Jds0QPM.jpg

The fun lies under the hood like a sleeper hot rod:

jV17UOr.jpg

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!

I wanted to get a little more bright and aggressive sound from the bridge humbucker of my CU22 (more aggressive than my DGT pickup) and also a little less output from the neck pickup (dragon 2). So, I got a used set of Duncans for pretty cheap. Jazz neck, Custom 5 bridge. I also only ever use positions 10, 8 and 6 on the rotary so why not switch to a 3 way toggle?

KRUScBu.jpg

Drilling out the hole for the 3 way. Tape to prevent chipping, worked great.
w0vHOkl.jpg

All done.

WVdA2d7.jpg

Back