Modified Monday

This weekend I had the luck of being in southern New Hampshire, and made an appointment to see this guy...
IMG_1542%20-%20Copy_zpsjvegkcxd.jpg

Here he is modding my SE One tuners to convert them to locking.
IMG_1547_zpsulqx1wgf.jpg
IMG_1549_zps6ubhhg74.jpg
IMG_1550_zpsmklhcaj9.jpg
IMG_1551_zpsaelv1ld7.jpg

I had John install his 2300 bridge, a US nut, and do the tuner conversion. He sat and shot the sh!t with me for about 2 hours while he did the work. A wonderful guy to listen to, thank you John for sharing your stories!

I'll get some "glamour shots" when I have time this week and post.

This weekend I had the luck of being in southern New Hampshire, and made an appointment to see this guy...

IMG_1547_zpsulqx1wgf.jpg
IMG_1549_zps6ubhhg74.jpg
IMG_1550_zpsmklhcaj9.jpg
IMG_1551_zpsaelv1ld7.jpg

I had John install his 2300 bridge, a US nut, and do the tuner conversion. He sat and shot the sh!t with me for about 2 hours while he did the work. A wonderful guy to listen to, thank you John for sharing your stories!

Totally that "B" word that Sergio likes to use!

IMG_1547_zpsulqx1wgf.jpg
IMG_1549_zps6ubhhg74.jpg
IMG_1550_zpsmklhcaj9.jpg
IMG_1551_zpsaelv1ld7.jpg

He did the same for one of my guitars.
I've spent a few hours in his shop hanging around the work bench as well.
Awesome guy

Last edited:
Hi There

Not a Monday but wanna share my PRS SAS 97 which I've had since 04. I've always a been a bit unsatisfied with the stock Mc Carty and always considered changing to others but have been delaying for quite a long time. Then I got another PRS the P245 hollow that came with the 58/15 and loved it. This is a really articulate pickup.

Hence I got the idea to try on its more 'modern sounding brethren the 85/15 for the SAS. long story short a guy offered a pair of 85/15 taken from CE24 in Singapore which coincides with a business trip I plan to make at that time. Sealed the deal and at the same time bought a Suhr Landau SC standard for the replacement is SD Vintage Rails.

Went ahead to my trusty tech with the new pickups kept the SAS wiring, cleaned it up. Changed the tone knob to lampshades. Tech had to shim the neck a little and raised the bridge, Now fully floating down and UP. As the bridge pickup had to be raised a fair bit for optimal sound.

I had the Graphtech Ghost (passive) installed since 05 or so, asked the tech to add a mono/stereo select option. Prior the piezo will only send signal on stereo only but now it can send signal on mono cable with blend volume. That's what the concentric volume pots are for magnetic (outside) piezo (inside)

I plan to send her for regret next year and change to phase 2 locking tuners.

And here she is:
tmp_27649-IMG_20161001_2119485-54716932.jpg

This one is and always be the keeper for me.

Hi There

Not a Monday but wanna share my PRS SAS 97 which I've had since 04. I've always a been a bit unsatisfied with the stock Mc Carty and always considered changing to others but have been delaying for quite a long time. Then I got another PRS the P245 hollow that came with the 58/15 and loved it. This is a really articulate pickup.

Hence I got the idea to try on its more 'modern sounding brethren the 85/15 for the SAS. long story short a guy offered a pair of 85/15 taken from CE24 in Singapore which coincides with a business trip I plan to make at that time. Sealed the deal and at the same time bought a Suhr Landau SC standard for the replacement is SD Vintage Rails.

Went ahead to my trusty tech with the new pickups kept the SAS wiring, cleaned it up. Changed the tone knob to lampshades. Tech had to shim the neck a little and raised the bridge, Now fully floating down and UP. As the bridge pickup had to be raised a fair bit for optimal sound.

I had the Graphtech Ghost (passive) installed since 05 or so, asked the tech to add a mono/stereo select option. Prior the piezo will only send signal on stereo only but now it can send signal on mono cable with blend volume. That's what the concentric volume pots are for magnetic (outside) piezo (inside)

I plan to send her for regret next year and change to phase 2 locking tuners.

And here she is:
tmp_27649-IMG_20161001_2119485-54716932.jpg

This one is and always be the keeper for me.

Totally dig!

Thanks all, this one will be my main gigging guitar the alternate is a modified burton Tele. The P245 Hollow is the stay at home guitar. Digging the sound with the 85/15 & Suhr combo. My wife complimented when I tested it out at the shop that the tone is very clear and articulate. Even the tech that did the mod was surprised at how well it turned out. Am super chuffed!

Guys I have a question, in a few months the SAS is going for refret it's getting a bit tired now the frets and after 20 years it will be her first one. Now what is the stock fret size/brand for PRS/SAS when they came out of the factory?

Thanks!

I think they make their own proprietary blend fret wire -- at least, that's what I remember from the tour there during one of the Experiences.

I see, there's no PTC in HK where I live and it will be refretted locally. The tech suggested Jescar
fretwires as he said Dunlop wires recently have issue. Anyone knows the fret size well if it was based on Dunlops nomenclature is it 6100/6105 or others?

Thanks.

I see, there's no PTC in HK where I live and it will be refretted locally. The tech suggested Jescar
fretwires as he said Dunlop wires recently have issue. Anyone knows the fret size well if it was based on Dunlops nomenclature is it 6100/6105 or others?

Thanks.
The big thing is the hardness of the fret wire. PRS uses the second to hardest grade that is currently manufactured. The tech should be able to measure the width, then the height is largely up to you. you say the neck was shimmed so that you could pull up the tremolo I hope the tech also lowered the saddles all the way down to the tremolo plate. If he didn`t think to do that, don`t let him refret. I like to have the neck plekked when I get fretwork. You may want to check and see if there`s anyone around who has one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, some misunderstanding above the tech had to shim the neck because the bridge pickup had to be raised a fair bit and if there were no adjustment the strings would be very2 close to the bobbins at the same time to match this the bridge was raised and it was made to freely float. Let me know if there's any issues with this. The resulting action and feel of play was the same before this step was made when it was on the stock pickups prior to change.

Cool, just wondering actually. It feels pretty good as its set similarly to my P245 by the same tech. Really digging the tones from the 85/15 pickups!

Back