Modified Monday

Here is a 1996 Custom 24 I used to have. I have installed a Graphtech piezo system as stealthy as I could.
The tone pot was replaced with the piezo vulume and push/pull mid/dark swith.
20130713_010523_zps5d8112ac.jpg

@John - great mods, I love the Treble 59/09! I too didn't use the tapped tone much on my SE EG, I find the 53/10 is better for tapped. May I suggest the resistor between tap wire and ground mod? You can grab the value off most PRS schematics (or try a mini pot for adjustability).
Yeah, man! I put those resistors on all my coil splits.

Well it's Monday here in Oz, so here's what I did to my S2 Mira Semi-hollow:

Before (dealer pic):

_574.jpg

After:

IMG_0084.jpg

Had all the stuff lying around in my spare parts drawer:

53/10s, a Narrowfield in the middle (just like yours zebraprs, I swear I wasn't copying you!), swapped out the 3-way blade for a 3-way toggle, put a USA volume pot in, the 2 x mini-toggles tap the neck/bridge pickups, and the original push-pull now activates the middle pickup. Call it a Siggy Mira Special...

The only thing I didn't do myself was cut the pick guard as I don't have the necessary tools. Ended up using a Dremel to route out the hole for the Narrowfield, talk about time consuming!

A bit short on time (sitting in an airport about to head off for work) and I'll post up a full build thread when I get a chance (not sure when I'll have access to the internet). I've got 4 days at home out of the next 9 weeks but I'll also record some clips when possible because this one sounds fantastic!

Justin, that is super cool buddy!!

Need to take some updated pics of my modded PRS but my Lowery SE has been loaded with a set of Seymour Duncan Pegasus/Sentient pickups and a whole new wiring harness (not sure it's staying, I used a treble bleed wiring schematic and I'm not sure I'm in love with the way it affects the tone...), my Mushok SE has a set of Schaller M6 locking tuners and a set of Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient pickups (still have to get around to wiring that one up lol) and my SE 245 has PRS Phase II locking tuners with faux ivory buttons! I tried to swap out the pickups on the 245 but the stock ones actually sounded very good so I put them back in! :D

I liked the idea of the burnt/scorched covers that Bare Knuckle (and PRS, for awhile) did...so I got some chrome covers and scorched them myself! Added some wood pup rings from another forum member and I give you....the burnt DGT LOL!!

burnt.jpg

I liked the idea of the burnt/scorched covers that Bare Knuckle (and PRS, for awhile) did...so I got some chrome covers and scorched them myself! Added some wood pup rings from another forum member and I give you....the burnt DGT LOL!!

burnt.jpg

That came out great! :D

OK, it's Monday, and I've just finished my first major modification so I figured it was the right time to post this:

6EC03058-9B37-4EAF-9DD8-171D581F8ECA_zps3zvzsnqr.jpg

I've been toying with the idea of putting a Roland 13-pin pickup in a PRS for years. In fact, I've bought a couple with that idea in mind and then just not been able to bring myself to take a drill and a router to them. Then recently I got a great deal on an SE Custom 24 and decided to have at it.

I replaced all the hardware. I bought new tuners - I prefer the look of the Schaller and Gotoh locking tuners but I like the mechanism of the Grover 406c better and they were cheaper, too - and a Fender super switch but I had all the other parts just lying around: a PRS forum truss rod cover, a core nut, pickup rings and screws, knobs and strap buttons. I scored two core tremolos on eBay a few weeks ago for $60 each so this is one of them. The other one is missing some nickel plating but it might end up on a 'relic' SE at some point.

The electronics are now a set of 59/09s (with the magnet flipped in the bass pickup), a PRS push-pull pot for the volume control with a treble-bleed capacitor and a 5-way switch. There is no tone control. The other pot is the Roland GK volume control. The location of the mini switches was inspired by the 408. The one closest to the pot is guitar/mix/GK, and the other is patch up/down. The jack has been replaced with the Roland 13-pin output. I could have kept the original jack (and replaced it with a core one) but I decided to keep it as minimal as possible and this guitar is intended for use with a bunch of Roland equipment anyway.

I'm particularly chuffed with the switching. It's my own concoction. With the push-pull down it's:

1. Bridge humbucker
2. Bridge humbucker and neck slug coil
3. Both humbuckers
4. Neck humbucker and bridge slug coil
5. Neck humbucker

and the push-pull splits the humbuckers to give:

1. Bridge slug coil
2-4 both slug coils
5. Neck slug coil

Lastly, the odd pink gig bag was replaced with a core case.

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I learned a lot about wiring while doing it and as people on here have said all along, the SE is an amazing platform for modifications. I'm on the lookout now for a vintage yellow SE Custom for the 'relic' core bridge and a set of Dragon Is.

I turned this pile of stuff:

Into this:

And it's filled with parts and even some hard work from people I met on this very forum!

Mods: Complete rattle-can refin, neck re-shape from W/F to Regular and PRS' "in the wood" finish by the PTC, McCarty bridge pup, NOS wings (for life!), raunchy mexi Tele neck pup, lampshades, quasi-hybrid hardware, GraphTech saddles, Mann small trem arm, Forum TRC, and a big diamond encrusted "S" superglued to the top to tell the world who this bad boy belongs to!

Seems this is the only photo I have of my old CE22 (1st PRS I ever owned):

22759_349776874358_535149358_4744049_1513240_n.jpg

Graphtech Ghost piezo saddles and preamp, the mini-toggle between the vol and tone (push-pull for coil tap) is the pickup selector, the other mini-toggle selects mag/both/piezo. The 3rd pot is piezo volume.

Unfortunately, Sergio won't be able to see this photo... :p

Last edited:
Only one modification to my new Kingfisher, Schaller Strap Locks.
A small mod for sure, but they give me an extra piece of mind.

If they do another run on the forum truss rod covers I will add one.
I have three, but they are all in use.

3.jpg

6.jpg

Nice! If I end up with a Kestrel (likely) I'll be changing the pick guard out for something pearloid (black or white, I have both blanks at home)

Last edited:
Back