Modified Monday

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by justmund, Aug 11, 2014.

1. bmcisaac

bmcisaac New Member

#461 bmcisaac, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  2. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 New Member

Finally got round to finishing my SE Santana a couple of days ago and I've come to the realization that the Santana is probably just behind the Bernie when it comes to all things killer about the SE range. She sounded fantastic before but now the the Dragon II's installed and a 5 way rotary switch she's a killer. Now I just to need to get a 2017/18 24 fret santana to go along side her:cool:.

[​IMG]

90sMcCarty, ScottR, John Beef and 2 others like this.
  3. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 New Member

So I love my new Chris Robertson SE and thought that I should bring it in line with my other guitars (purely cosmetic changes) She here she is.

Stock version except knobs replaced with trans/black ones
    [​IMG]
    Modded version
    [​IMG]
    PRS Core Nut
    Ebony & MOP Eagle Truss Rod Cover
    Ivory Switch Tip
    Core Ivory Pickup Surround
    Amber Lampshade Knobs

New TRC
    [​IMG]

which version do you guys prefer?

4. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

If you swapped the P90 cover to cream maybe?

garrett and Glide-bpm like this.
  5. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I prefer the modded one. Really, I like the amber shades better. The cream P90 cover would be interesting. If you go that route you should get some pearloid tuner keys and soak them in coffee for a few hours. I did that on my KL-33. Looks boss with the cream rings that are on it.

Fullmoon 1971 and sergiodeblanc like this.
  6. Eddie kim

Eddie kim New Member

How do you like the new pickups compare to the stock 58/15S?

7. Callan

Callan hack guitarist..

My PRS SC245 got a set of Coil splits on the weekend:
    Some photos below because we all love photos.

The finished product:
    [​IMG]

I was glad to find the white cables hiding behind the 57/08 pickups the other week.
    A little bit more cable would have been nice here though - I had to extend it to get down to the new pots.
    Also at this point I knew I was fully committed.

If you're wondering why I had all 4 knobs unscrewed at this point, my original intention was to move the volumes around to make it the same as a LP/594.
    I put these plans on ice for now as the cables were all quite short.
    [​IMG]

Old and new side-by-side
    [​IMG]

Getting the new pots ready (594 schematic providing guidance)
    [​IMG]

3 strings on for a quick sound-check
    [​IMG]

New strings on and it's job done, happy days!
    [​IMG]

g.wizz, toothace, Eddie kim and 13 others like this.
  8. bmcisaac

bmcisaac New Member

I love them, I came across a great deal for them and I was worried that the low output would make my guitar sound too weak. But I must say they are super clear and I am happy. From the little comparison I have with the 58/15 the only thing I noticed was a little more output (I have an archon so I adjusted accordingly).

9. pac90

pac90 In Helix Land, the waters warm

Not the best photo due to phone camera, in reality the grain shows through a nice cherry colour, just looks washed out here

58/15 neck and pearly gates bridge. Stock PRS wiring etc, I just swapped out the pickups.

I have S2 SC with an 85/15 set and with the same amp settings those 85/15 are more powerful and crunchy, where the 5815/pearly gates stay clean, so these pickups in the mira have a nice contrasting clarity about them, and the PG bridge split tones are fantastic. These mixed pickups work well in a set. Kudos to PRS for a great split tone circuit.

Happy to have two flavours to play with. One thing I noticed is although the necks are same spec and visually, the gloss mira feels a little thinner under hand than than the satin SC

[​IMG]

10. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

Strange that I would have this guitar for about a year now and only just opened the control cavity this weekend. We've got a couple more studio dates coming up this week and next and the volume pot was being a wee bit flaky randomly, not very often, but enough to have me worried. I bought this guitar new so I suppose I could have had this done under warranty, but where's the fun in that? I swapped out the volume pot in a half hour while my wife was napping. She loves it when I make our kitchen table look like this.

[​IMG]

Never been a big fan of Alpha pots so when I replace them I use either CTS our Bournes. At some point I ordered a bunch of CTS pots just to have some kicking around. I don't remember doing it, but it happened. Also, I was happy to see the stock SE pot had the 180pf treble bleed cap on it. I reused it, otherwise I would have added it from my stash. That's right, I grow 180pf caps from between my upper lip and nose.

[​IMG]

Of course Alpha pots are metric and CTS are a slightly larger imperial size. You would think after doing this to probably a dozen guitars over the years I'd have the proper tool - a tapered reamer. But nope, I don't even have a drill press or anything but this heavy ass corded drill and a 3/8" bit. MUHAHAHAA

[​IMG]

Even with the tape on there, some paint chipped, but not too much. This guitar's finish is really thin. Impressively so.

[​IMG]

Of course once you get the pot in there with the nut and washer, the chips automagically disappear! Like they're not even there!!!

[​IMG]

And wouldn't you know, I forgot to take a pic of the whole guitar once I was done. Used it at practice later in the day and I could swear the tone was a wee bit fuller in the lower end and smoother in the highs. I know on paper there isn't much difference between Alpha and CTS pots, but I really think the CTS ones sound better. And considering 100% of your signal goes through the volume pot all the time, it's worth the $6 upgrade.

g.wizz, bodia, grausch and 4 others like this.
  11. garrett

garrett Lurkin'

I've just used rough sandpaper wrapped around a pen to widen the holes.

12. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

But then I wouldn't get to use power tools

[​IMG]

g.wizz, Eddie kim, Boogie and 3 others like this.