Modified Monday

My first PRS... an SE Paul Allender. From this picture you can see I added metal volume&tone knobs (cuz metal > plastic), and handmade pickup rings from Germany that really add to the character of the guitar (not to mention blend nicely with the EMG's).

$_57.JPG

Next I added a TUSQ nut and Schaller Locking Tuners... german made, heavy, always stayed in tune!

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

My final mod was predictable, since I never use my tremolo I put in a Tremol-no. The sustain lasted for days... o how I miss Talia.
$_57.JPG

Those pickup rings are entirely badass for that guitar. Nicely done!

I really enjoyed what (little) there is of this thread, and the concept...other than dropping in some Grover 406C mini-rotos on some of my SEs, I really don't have much top contribute...but I hope others do. There HAVE to be more tinkerers out there...we KNOW there are...

I really enjoyed what (little) there is of this thread, and the concept...other than dropping in some Grover 406C mini-rotos on some of my SEs, I really don't have much top contribute...but I hope others do. There HAVE to be more tinkerers out there...we KNOW there are...
Yeah, but it's not monday yet. :beer:

Yup I'll definitely have a brand new installment for this Monday, just "finished" my S2 Mira today. I say "finished" because I forgot to do something, but the (minor) fix will have to wait until the next string change because I'm having way too much fun with it now!

My SE-7 with Seymour Duncan Nazgul and Sentient pickups.
Hipshot Bridge / Locking Tuners and a new Tusq nut.
Full rewire, CTS pots etc...mods cost more than the guitar :)... Still cheaper than PS7

8c80a52df04f79920d8ab05eb663d167_zps69d33b5f.jpg

Yup I'll definitely have a brand new installment for this Monday, just "finished" my S2 Mira today. I say "finished" because I forgot to do something, but the (minor) fix will have to wait until the next string change because I'm having way too much fun with it now!

I saw a sneak peak!!! Sooooooooooooooooooooooo Coooooooooooooooooool!!!

A buddy in Japan and I did our own versions of an 86 Cu24. We each started with a 25th Anni SE Cu24 (his was the yellow one and mine the blue). Put in USA HFS/Vintage pups, a sweet switch and the 5 way rotary.

Before:
SEmod1_zps0ffa0be6.jpeg

During:
SEmod4_zpsb595ac3a.jpeg

SEmod5_zps98f57111.jpeg

After:
SEmod7_zps59a6431c.jpeg

Well it's Monday here in Oz, so here's what I did to my S2 Mira Semi-hollow:

Before (dealer pic):

_574.jpg

After:

IMG_0084.jpg

Had all the stuff lying around in my spare parts drawer:

53/10s, a Narrowfield in the middle (just like yours zebraprs, I swear I wasn't copying you!), swapped out the 3-way blade for a 3-way toggle, put a USA volume pot in, the 2 x mini-toggles tap the neck/bridge pickups, and the original push-pull now activates the middle pickup. Call it a Siggy Mira Special...

The only thing I didn't do myself was cut the pick guard as I don't have the necessary tools. Ended up using a Dremel to route out the hole for the Narrowfield, talk about time consuming!

A bit short on time (sitting in an airport about to head off for work) and I'll post up a full build thread when I get a chance (not sure when I'll have access to the internet). I've got 4 days at home out of the next 9 weeks but I'll also record some clips when possible because this one sounds fantastic!

Last edited:
SWEET, that's fantastic!
My Modified Monday. This was all actually Friday.

For the last year or so I have had an Anderson H2+ in the bridge of my 03 Santana SE, which is a very cool, unique pickup. It's very hot but clear and balanced and the split tones, you'd think you switched to an entirely different pickup when split. If I ever see a used H2 or H1+ I would pick it up, but the H2+ is just too much. I have no idea what tone cap I put in this guitar but it's the wrong value and barely changes the tone - gives a particular mid frequency a boost or something, it's not pleasant.

So here it is before the current round of mods.

2014-08-15105153.jpg

This is the only .022 cap I could find. Yep, it's broken. Still works though.
2014-08-15110132.jpg

Here's what I'm adding. I bought a set of round bobbin 59/09s a while back. The neck 59/09, I installed a cover and put it in my black Custom. Since the bridge pickup was sitting around unused I thought I'd give it a shot in this guitar. I had some USA knobs and a USA volume pot, too.
2014-08-15110247.jpg

And here it is finished.

2014-08-15122737.jpg

The 59/09 is brighter and more organic sounding than the Anderson. It works really well with the neck pickup and sounds great through my rig. The only downside is, the split tones are not as dramatic, but I don't use that a lot anyway.

This guitar keeps up really well with my nicer ones. The action is low, the tones are good, what more can you ask for? I have owned a bunch of other SEs at this point, this one is the best of the bunch.

Last edited:
Justmund - that is another awesome and unique creation. I'm not super handy, but I am going to take inspiration from you for the ergonomics and switching if I ever do this to my non-hollow S2 Mira.

Really digging the white pearloid on the seafoam green - looks WAY better than the standard black. Can't wait to hear some sound clips!

Well it's Monday here in Oz, so here's what I did to my S2 Mira Semi-hollow:

Before (dealer pic):

_574.jpg

After:

IMG_0084.jpg

Had all the stuff lying around in my spare parts drawer:

53/10s, a Narrowfield in the middle (just like yours zebraprs, I swear I wasn't copying you!), swapped out the 3-way blade for a 3-way toggle, put a USA volume pot in, the 2 x mini-toggles tap the neck/bridge pickups, and the original push-pull now activates the middle pickup. Call it a Siggy Mira Special...

The only thing I didn't do myself was cut the pick guard as I don't have the necessary tools. Ended up using a Dremel to route out the hole for the Narrowfield, talk about time consuming!

A bit short on time (sitting in an airport about to head off for work) and I'll post up a full build thread when I get a chance (not sure when I'll have access to the internet). I've got 4 days at home out of the next 9 weeks but I'll also record some clips when possible because this one sounds fantastic!

Wings, saddles, DII's, rotary, sour switch, modified bushing to accept USA trem arm, USA jack plate, this guitar rules all the SE's in my home and does some stuff the core models I own don't. Import or not, I don't care, this is as real of a guitar to me as they come.

@John - great mods, I love the Treble 59/09! I too didn't use the tapped tone much on my SE EG, I find the 53/10 is better for tapped. May I suggest the resistor between tap wire and ground mod? You can grab the value off most PRS schematics (or try a mini pot for adjustability).

@Carl - Thanks mate! I too think Seafoam and white pearloid should be standard. You can get white pearloid guards from the PRS store too... Compulsory mod if you ask me!

@Serg - Thanks dude :)

I love that "O" too Serg, your comments keep me thinking about one. I do need to try some \m/s in something...

It's great guitar, snappy but yet still smooth if that makes sense. If you can get on with W/T they are an absolute steal secondhand.

One of my favorite mods is totally invisible....HB2 faded abalone Smokeburst (AP w IRW neck, BRW board)...

Loved this guitar on arrival, but kept wishing for single coil sounds (I like combinations of SC/HB sounds especially), but did not want to loose the piezo or change the cosmetics. After a few discussions with PTC the following was done:
1) existing 3 way mini toggle converted to 2 way coil split for bridge PU.
2) piezo wired "permanently on" to the separate piezo output, the only way I would use it anyway, so I can blend my acoustic sound with the piezo volume knob (through the PA usually)
3) Push pull on the mag volume pot to split the neck pickup.

After pic shows the only miniscule visible difference is a slightly long toggle switch (and I changed the PU rings to black), but really opened up my options on this guitar...

Back