Modified Monday

I see so many people replacing tuners, and I've never really understood it. What improvement do you hear or see with new tuners?

The tuners that come stock on the SE's are non- locking. Every other line from PRS comes standard with locking tuners. I would suspect that most are replacing the tuners to upgrade to a locking type.

I think they stay in tune better with locking tuners, and i`m happy in my deluded state. Now to get a handle on that world ruler thing............

Hi All.
Just got my modded Bernie back as inspired by Bodia's Beauty.
Thanks for all the help and advice. Many thanks.
Phase 3 Locking Tuners, Core Nut, Strap Buttons, Push Pull on the Tone, 2300 Mannmade Intonation Bridge & Abraxus BKP's
Pics to follow hope you Approve.
Cheers Guys
Al.

Hi All.
Phase 3 Locking Tuners, Core Nut, Strap Buttons, Push Pull on the Tone, 2300 Mannmade Intonation Bridge & Abraxus BKP's
Cheers Guys
Al.
Duuude, that sounds badazz! Can't wait to see the pics!

Hi All.
Cheers Guys
20161014_125116.jpg

and now for something a little different... I've wanted a hexaphonic guitar ever since I noodled around with a VG-8 back in the mid-90s. I picked up a Roland GK kit quite a while back, and finally got around to installing it. I was originally going to install it on my SE EG, and was just about to do it when I thought "if I end up using this on stage, why would I use the EG when I have a much nicer feeling guitar?"

I ended up installing it on my PTC modified DC3, it's a keeper and one of my main gigging guitars anyway, so I wasn't scared about drilling some holes in it.

It actually wasn't too difficult, although it did take a bit of time as I had to pull it apart a couple of times to get it right. The first step was placement, with these pickups you don't want them too close or too far from the bridge, and luckily there was just enough room on the pickguard to fit the GK pickup. Once the placement was good, it was a simple matter of drilling a couple of holes for the mounting screws (which were tarnished when I got them, will swap them out at some stage). Once in place I needed to remove a small section of the pickguard for the GK pickup wires, so they could make their way into the bridge PU cavity and to the PCB. This also involved removing a small section of the guitar body, just ended up using a dremel and a router bit.

Once that was done I attacked the output jack, which is much larger than the stock 1/4" one. I used the old hole and just drilled/chiseled out enough wood until the output jack assembly fit in there. I then had to make a new holes for the 1/4" output, just a drill hole big enough for the lead to fit, then a spade bit for the socket.

Then I just needed to make it all fit in the control cavity once all the connections to the PCB were made, it was a squeeze but I didn't need to remove any more wood. Once it was all together I found that the A string was fouling on the GK pickup, so I had to pull it all apart and router down a small step on the pickguard for the GK pickup to sit on. I went down a couple of mm, thinking I could just use a spacer (supplied with the kit) if it was too low.

Put it all back together and everything was physically sweet, then I found there was a heap of noise in the mag circuit when the GK cable was plugged in, yep I omitted a ground wire between the 2 circuits (I didn't bother with the mag IN on the GK board) so I pulled it all apart again and soldering on a ground wire. Back together and now working a treat with my VG-99 (a whole 'nother kettle of fish!).

Onto the pics:

25289198969_e6ad9c5f8d_k.jpg

Yes I know the collars don't match the cuffs, but at least it's neat!

30924428255_25f19dd475_b.jpg

You can see the little routed step I put in the pickguard here

30808271382_846057546a_b.jpg

The bit of pickguard and body I had to remove for running the GK pickup wires

25289195889_57cb7996d5_b.jpg

30888697026_a55575f48f_b.jpg

Thanks dudes :)

Sergio's description of the "Blanc Westie" reminded me I haven't posted any recent pics of my DC22. Nothing major here, just whacked a 53/10 in the neck to complement the existing 59/09 in the bridge (Sergio's pickup combo choice), added some resistors to the coil tap (the "resistor mod") and most obviously, the MannMade 2300 adjustable stoptail.

What can I say? This guitar is very awesome and is sometimes the only guitar I take to a gig. I always thought I'd put a NF in the middle but it doesn't need it, I dig the simplicity of this one and covers a lot of sonic territory. I intend to wear the finish off this one!

Well enough of me and on to the pics, the sun came out at rehearsal tonight so I quickly snapped these ones:

30676423300_265a02d14b_b.jpg

25342308629_cf27fd5ebb_b.jpg

30676441980_9afce4280c_b.jpg

30942548446_4fd6096461_b.jpg

Back