modifications?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by the_doc735, Mar 29, 2020.

1. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

You mean you’ll actually vouch for me Eddie? Then I take back all the terrible things I said about you the last 40 years!

Eddie kim, Alnus Rubra and jxe like this.
  2. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

firstly you need to change out all the wood for south american wood.

dogrocketp likes this.
  3. Em7

Em7 deus ex machina

Phil is very good. He used to work at PRS and took over Orkie’s (John Ingram) side gig at Master Musicians before going out on his own.

dogrocketp likes this.
  4. the_doc735

the_doc735 New Member

5. Eddie kim

Eddie kim New Member

Every time!

dogrocketp likes this.
  6. the_doc735

the_doc735 New Member

I think I have a source for the nut and tuners here in the UK, but is there anywhere on earth to obtain the un-coated brass saddles and block for the bridge/trem? Cheers!

7. Em7

Em7 deus ex machina

You should just leave the bridge alone for now. PRS is installing the same bridge on S2s and CEs, which are made in Stevensville, not Asia. Can the bridge be improved? Yes, but is it worth spending that much on an SE? No! To many American guitarists, SEs are the guitar equivalent of Duncan Designed pickups. They get the job done and get guitarists to buy into the PRS brand. However, the real goal of these instruments is to eventually up-sell customers to Stevensville-manufactured guitars.

dogrocketp and the_doc735 like this.
  8. the_doc735

the_doc735 New Member

thanks - wise words!

9. the_doc735

the_doc735 New Member

I don't understand electronic 'tech. speak' ~ Sorry! I follow diagrams from Dimarzio etc. for upgrading wiring/pots/caps/switches etc. (more complex push/pull/ mini toggle setups); 'soldered' schemes.

10. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

Nothing in the diagrams is wrong.

The core point of the tech stuff is that capacitors are simple devices that work predictably and consistently. But...tolerances are much wider than in many things we use so you can get a very different result from two capacitors with the same nominal value.

For example: with a 20% tolerance a 100 units could be 80, or 120 in two random example. If these were highway speeds, one car would be going 50% faster than the other.

When I designed military equipment, I sometimes used very expensive capacitors just because my design needed a tighter tolerance. I felt it was safer than trusting line staff to discard out of range components.

11. Em7

Em7 deus ex machina

I do not believe that any of the PRS machine heads were/are made in the United States. The earliest "wing" machine heads were modified Schallers. I suspect that Schaller has manufactured every generation. Kluson makes good machine heads, none of which are manufactured in the United States to the best of my knowledge. From what I can ascertain, the Gen I and Gen II bridges were manufactured in the United States by Mil-Com (John Mann) and Excel Machine and Fabrication, respectively. What is weird is that I watched a video with Paul and John where Paul claimed that John made the earliest trems after hours in the old Westinghouse Oceanic Division machine shop. I used to walk through that machine shop on a regular basis when I was a young embedded systems engineer at Westinghouse Oceanic. That facility still exists today, but it is owned by Northrop Grumman. If one looks to the left while approaching the toll booths when driving on the westbound span of the Bay Bridge, one will see the building where the PRS trem was born on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

the_doc735 and dogrocketp like this.
  12. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Gotoh make PRS’ tuners.

Don’t know if they make the new Vintage style ones on the 594 (“new Vintage” what a strange turn of phrase!).

the_doc735 likes this.
  13. Em7

Em7 deus ex machina

They definitely make the SE and S2 machines heads. The earliest "wing" tuners had the Schaller "S" on the back.

bodia and the_doc735 like this.
  14. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Hipshot(according to a phone call made to the company years ago) are made in upstate New York. While I know PRS tuners are made elsewhere, I don’t change PRS parts unless there’s a reason. SE’s- heavily modified. USA PRS- minor cosmetic changes.

bodia, the_doc735 and Eddie kim like this.
  15. the_doc735

the_doc735 New Member

What do you define as 'heavy modification'?

16. ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© Fungi Monkey

First, welcome back. I always enjoy your posts and appreciate the rigor you put into your explanations. If you'll indulge me, I'd like to make an observation.

It is fair to say that you're understanding of this subject is far beyond that of most guitar players. In fact, I don't know anyone who could verify the accuracy of the information you are providing besides the great engineering minds behind each major amplifier manufacturer. So, until you have a peer on these pages who can quality-check your posts, you are our single-point of success. With great power...

I find your closing comment to be most in tune with my way of thinking.

I would only add this... if you knew the wide-open resistance of the pot that failed and you really want to ensure you get your tone back the way it was, try to find a matching linear or logarithmic taper pot.

Too many people assume, in err, that their SE is incapable of sounding great right out of the box (even with 'cheap' pots). Having spent my share of money learning this lesson the expensive way, I'd encourage anyone starting down this road to stop, identify what you don't like, research all possible courses of action, then change things one-at-a-time. If you find yourself saying you just want your guitar to be the best in can be without the ability to define what 'best' means, it might be a good idea to take a step back and reconsider what you're really after.

dogrocketp, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  17. the_doc735

the_doc735 New Member

right, I will have to change the pots because they are wobbling all over the place (lose as hell) they are alpha. On the capacitor that is attached to the volume pot, it is a little ceramic thing stating "181", no pF, uF etc and no voltage! Does anyone know the values that I need to search for please?

18. NBW

NBW New Member

That should be 180pf according to these guys:

https://www.thegeekpub.com/calculators/capacitor-value-calculator-and-code-calculator/

I always have to look these things up. I have a whole pile (of likely crap) ceramic caps, for my (largely unsuccessful) pedal building. Of course the bags aren't labelled.

the_doc735 likes this.
  19. the_doc735

the_doc735 New Member

...and the other one is MF3333/ 400V on the tone! (It's yellow)
    Does anyone know the two caps I need to get hold of please?

Socket seems OK, blade is a little 'scratchy' so might get a CRL as well.

Let's say, it is well 'played in'!

20. NBW

NBW New Member

I replaced the push pull in my custom 24, why, mostly because I am hella bored. Those are non-standard cap values. The standard for 500K tone pots is .022uF, the standard for 250K tone pots is .047uF if I recall correctly but these seem to be .033uF, I just reused the stock one. There is no use in getting all bent about caps, they are capacitors they store charge, the particular technology (oil paper, polyester film,..) doesn't matter.

I am a physicist and I know screwing around with these components isn't going to do anything.

dogrocketp, the_doc735 and Eddie kim like this.