Modern Person, Modern Life, Modern Guitars.

László

Too Many Notes
I was just drooling over some of the new PRS models, and thinking back over my experiences with a variety of guitars over the years. And I realized that despite my age, I am a fairly modern person. This includes my choice of instruments. Lots of my colleagues, young and old, have different tastes. My son, for example, loves old instruments, and usually plays instruments designed in the early 50s, the Tele and the 335.

I have owned both in the past, have enjoyed their tone, and lived with their idiosyncracies. But for me, the Tele feels fairly primitive, and while I dig the sound of a good 335, working with one reminds me of handling the 1953 Buick Special Sedan I learned to drive in (thanks to Detroit's legendary Arrow Driving School and the incomparable Mr. Flashner). The steering wheel on that thing must have been a yard in diameter. And let's not talk about the drum brakes, lack of seat belts, and full metal dashboard. Sleek and sassy it was not.

In contrast, playing a PRS has always felt more like driving a new car. It may not look as vintage and interesting as that '53 Buick, but there's a certain charm in sleekness, ergonomics, efficiency, and performance.

So...I was thinking that one of the reasons I really like PRS is because they're advanced, modern instruments that, at least to me, have left behind the designs of the 50s that other companies have been simply reissuing ad infinitum. This even extends to models like the SC, which to me feels different in important ways from an LP.

Are you modern? Traditional? Or do you just like fancy wood? ;)

I am retro-modern-vintage-contemporary, I really like guitars and guitar related equipment from the 70's up until 1994. I think it's mostly because of my age bracket, and time period I became aware of gear. I may be able to move past it once I obtain every Eventide, Boogie, Mu-tron, ADA, Lexicon, Spector, Steinberger, and yes, PRS from that time period.:rolleyes:

I feel that there are basically two types of electronic musicians: explorers and stylists.
Explorers are constantly looking for new sounds, and are the most receptive of new technology. Stylists are more interested in nailing specific tones and seem to act as guardians over period-specific tones, they are also responsible for the market of reissue's and vintage styled equipment. I think both are equally valid and important, and I think I tend to be of the later.

I remember seeing an interview with Herbie Hancock where he was talking about his adoration of Stevie Wonder's ability to just let the synthesizers sound like synthesizers. Herbie was always trying to make his synth patches sound exactly like a real flute for instance, really trying to nail the natural nuances of the actual instrument. Stevie on the other hand would explore and embrace the impossible, his flute sound could play chords and have portamento and do things a real flute couldn't and Stevie was fine with it, and in the process added to the vocabulary of accepted and established tones for the "stylists" to guard. I guess the ultimate goal should be to try and be a little bit of both.

I buy modern, but I've kept some traditional things that I liked at the time and still do the job: Les Paul, EBO, Bassman.

And I still far prefer a real piano.

I guess I'm a modern type person. As for PRS guitars , I love them because while they are modern I feel like the team at PRS build off of older proven ideas and thoughts and make them better .

I consider myself vintage-modern. I do love the classic designs, but I update them with modern appointments to suit me. My main Tele is like an old Chevy updated with new Corvette parts. It extends into other parts of life, too.

I consider the PRS designs to be modern classics. All modern, but without trying too hard. They won't end up being dated like trendy instruments (pointy, Floyd Rose, flat fretboard guitars, anyone?)

I'm modern but I like a vintage feel that's fined tuned and a bit souped up. That pretty well summarizes all of my gear and my sound.
I like gadgets and techy stuff.

I'd say I'm forward thinking - while utilizing the good of the past, ditching the negative and trying to come up with innovations to continue to improve. Hmmm, that kinda sounds like PRS as a company:)

I like it all, but require play-ability in everything. I love my tele, but it doesn't get as much play as the others. One of my favorite "no thinking, just playing" guitars is my Mira, with 57/08s. It satisfied my need for a LP Special, while providing a level of maintenance-free play-ability the LPS never would (it's in tune and stays there!).

I'm generally more modern in amps, though. I've got a few Mesas and my beloved THD BiValve. I can get that 60's Fender-ish sound from the Lonestar, and a vaguely Plexi-ish sound from the THD, but I don't go looking for those tones.

That said, I am (un)patiently waiting for a Fender Excelsior to be delivered. I fell in love with this cheap, quirky POS. The next hardwood cabinet I build will be for a 15" with an open back.

In the car world, I prefer restomods. Cars with vintage looks but modern technologies and luxuries. I guess that why I like PRS. Its still the same "basic" shape of the LP but it feels and handles like a modern, more sexy version

Modern all the way for me, hence my love of 408 Signatures. They fix all the things I don't like in other guitars.

With amps, I'm more retro. It has to have a 60s/70s Marshall-style tone otherwise I'm not interested.

I love modern guitars and cars, but my Cunneto Nocaster and Strats Relics are a blast to play, and if I had the means, I'd own a '62 Corvette or a Shelby Cobra...

It's all good!

Jamie

I really appreciate the way that PRS incorporates history, technology, form, and function in to their guitars. Seems like the 25th anniversary line was where all of that started kicking in to high gear with "new" models, and more proprietary parts on guitars.

Back