Modern eagles

Is that a plastic jackplate on that R9?

And it's not even the right color. WTF is Gibson thinking?!? :rolleyes:

Not to worry, though. There are lots of aftermarket purveyors who can sell you just the right color plastic for those all-important ancillary bits.

Yup...that's how they come...topic of several complaints on "other" forums....

Just a bit surprised. My son had a Gibson with one while he was in high school, and we had a devil of a time fixing it during a show. But it was a lower end model, a USA LP Junior, where one might expect corners to be cut.

Damned plastic plate broke just from the pressure of the cable being stepped on by someone on stage. The jack dangled loose, a real pain.

I was able to rig something up, but really, how much does a brass plate cost in the first place to do it right?

And it's not even the right color. WTF is Gibson thinking?!? :rolleyes:

Not to worry, though. There are lots of aftermarket purveyors who can sell you just the right color plastic for those all-important ancillary bits.

FU, too. :) See above. Junk parts are a bad idea.

Last edited:
In the pictures below my R9 ("Skinnerburst") is on the left and my 2014 PRS PS McCarty SC is on the right. The LP is 1/16th inch thicker at the edge...and 1/8th inch thicker at the thickest part of the body.

Thanks for posting that. I remembered correctly for once. :redface: To get it to react and sound exactly like a LP is not really going to happen. The PRS is not a clone of a Gibson. Different designs, different animal. Usually a thinner guitar is going to have a slightly upper shifted midrange from my experience. (Or conversely, the thicker guitar will have lower shifted mids. :biggrin: )

IMO, if PRS wanted to build a LP clone, it would be as good as the Gibsons, which I think are as good as the originals. At least the ones I have been able to compare. The SC 58s I have played have been killer, but not exactly like a Gibson either. I like them both equally for different reasons. Again, guitars at this level are not better or worse. Its just which one feels and sounds better to the player. While thats always the case, with lower line guitars, you can usually pretty much pick the "better" guitar. At least IMO.

Last edited:
what is the difference in thickness and mass of the maple top between them?

I have a 2011 ME Quattro. Never been played, a total "case queen". Has that "dipped in glass" look totally nailed. I have a couple of private stocks, but this ME stands the leaves nothing to be desired. Gorgeous guitar.

I have a 2011 ME Quattro. Never been played, a total "case queen". Has that "dipped in glass" look totally nailed. I have a couple of private stocks, but this ME stands the leaves nothing to be desired. Gorgeous guitar.

Is there a reason you don't play it?

I know what you mean. My Quadro had a killer Chevron top and was that"blue burst" or whatever they called that blue, and it was STUNNING to look at. I also feel it may have been the most beautiful of all my PRSs, including the PSs. I use to strap it on and just stare at myself in the mirror with it. :D

I know what you mean. My Quadro had a killer Chevron top and was that"blue burst" or whatever they called that blue, and it was STUNNING to look at. I also feel it may have been the most beautiful of all my PRSs, including the PSs. I use to strap it on and just stare at myself in the mirror with it. :D

But were you naked?

Poser! :D

Is there a reason you don't play it?

I would like to keep it pristine. I tend to be a little clumsy and unintentionally careless with stuff so dings, knocks, scratches and whatnot are common. My daily pick up and play anytime, just laying around the condo guitar is an early eighties Ibanez Roadstar II which, because of it's cheap and weird pickups doesn't sound great but is remarkably playable. For a concentrated practice session or recording, I pull out my Artist V, another seriously impressive piece of kit.

I would like to keep it pristine. I tend to be a little clumsy and unintentionally careless with stuff so dings, knocks, scratches and whatnot are common. My daily pick up and play anytime, just laying around the condo guitar is an early eighties Ibanez Roadstar II which, because of it's cheap and weird pickups doesn't sound great but is remarkably playable. For a concentrated practice session or recording, I pull out my Artist V, another seriously impressive piece of kit.

That would totally bum PRSh out. He HATES to see his guitars go out there in the world and stay pristine.

Same perspective from another builder-of-excellent-things, Grant Peterson of Rivendell Bicycles: www.rivbike.com "Your most expensive bicycle should be the one you ride most often."

Last edited:
That would totally bum PRSh out. He HATES to see his guitars go out there in the world and stay pristine.

Same perspective from another builder-of-excellent-things (Grant Peterson of Rivendell Bicycles, www.rivbike.com): "Your most expensive bicycle should be the one you ride most often."

We may finally be meeting this winter! :)

I would like to keep it pristine. I tend to be a little clumsy and unintentionally careless with stuff so dings, knocks, scratches and whatnot are common..

I understand the natural desire to keep a beautiful thing perfect.

But I reached a place where I decided that I deserved to play my own guitars as much or more than the next owner. I got them because they are great instruments. I do think PS are a little more of what I want tonally and in terms of how they feel and play.

So I work with them on recording sessions, and I practice with them so that they feel entirely familiar in my hands.

I do think that the Artist V series are special guitars, but why miss out on the enjoyment of playing all of your guitars? A ding can be fixed. Lost enjoyment is irreplaceable because there is a time factor. You can never get lost time back.

Lost enjoyment is irreplaceable because there is a time factor. You can never get lost time back.

Well said Les. To bad its human nature to realize this only after much time is lost. Try and enjoy every second you have, and with life such as it is, that is a very difficult thing to do. I think most people here would agree that the time they spend playing guitar and making music is among the most pleasurable things they do in life. Play the best instruments you have in that time frame, and dont worry about the occasional dings and scratches. You will get over it, and be so thankful you did in the long run.

I understand the natural desire to keep a beautiful thing perfect.

But I reached a place where I decided that I deserved to play my own guitars as much or more than the next owner. I got them because they are great instruments. I do think PS are a little more of what I want tonally and in terms of how they feel and play.

So I work with them on recording sessions, and I practice with them so that they feel entirely familiar in my hands.

I do think that the Artist V series are special guitars, but why miss out on the enjoyment of playing all of your guitars? A ding can be fixed. Lost enjoyment is irreplaceable because there is a time factor. You can never get lost time back.

Les, you said this much more eloquently (and empathetically) than I did. Well done!

What makes one man happy doesn't necessarily make another happy. As individuals, we decide for ourselves what pleases us. I know collectors who don't even play, but they are happy to own "works of art." Who is to say that that concept is wrong?

I have a number of guitars. Have I played all of them? Yes, but I also own some that are not going to a gig. For example, when I ordered my PS doubleneck, I knew I was buying it as a piece of art. I don't want it battle scarred. Like Sheryl said, "if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad" (and historians tell us that Socrates agreed).

I have private stocks that I gig, but I'm happy to own guitars for reasons of my own choosing.

Who is to say that that concept is wrong?

I am.

rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

:tongue:

Back