Modern Eagle V

Something for the weekend, sir?

I think if I were to spend £9000 on a guitar I'd want to spec it all myself. Still, until then I'll console myself by looking at pics of my forthcoming 35th Anniversay SE Custom (sigh).

They’re gorgeous and sound every bit of it.

I’ll share my experience on the limited PS run guitars because I’m fortunate to have 3 of them. The utmost of PRS’ current ability to design an amazing, classic instrument is put into each design. They are incredibly good.

Paul R. Smith is a better guitar designer/spec’r than I am. Maybe you’re better than he is at coming up with something stellar, I’m not.

I couldn’t be happier with any outcome than with these, and moreover, I got mine from dealer stock, so I got to actually choose them and play them before parting irrevocably with the dough, which to me is a huge advantage.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s neat to spec out your own, and I’ve done that, but the PS model runs are awesome in a different way.

I too have what I believe is a limited run PRS guitar.
It's not even a core guitar, just a "lowly" S2 CU22 Semi hollow.
I have been a hardcore Gibson player for over 50 years.
but...
Since I got it a couple of months ago, that "lowly" S2 has been
going out the door with me while my Gibsons sit in their racks.
My lowly S2 is a spectacular guitar.

I’ll share my experience on the limited PS run guitars because I’m fortunate to have 3 of them. The utmost of PRS’ current ability to design an amazing, classic instrument is put into each design. They are incredibly good.

Paul R. Smith is a better guitar designer/spec’r than I am. Maybe you’re better than he is at coming up with something stellar, I’m not.

I couldn’t be happier with any outcome than with these, and moreover, I got mine from dealer stock, so I got to actually choose them and play them before parting irrevocably with the dough, which to me is a huge advantage.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s neat to spec out your own, and I’ve done that, but the PS model runs are awesome in a different way.

It’s kinda just semantics but...

I feel what they call the Private Stock stuff should be for people that wanna build their own burger, and the limited runs where PRSh (and team) spec them out should be called something else, like they do with the Collection program.

Like, this MEV should have the stylized ME Eagle on the headstock like the others, just for brand continuity. Still charge whatever they want, but keep the branding purely PRS.

I’m coming at that from more of a “collector’s” mindset (not that I really am one). I feel that there should be a bigger distinction between a guitar that a deep-pocketed player had built, versus the ones that a f@cking world class guitar designer came up with.

Kudos on the collection, dude! I'm not knocking anyone who would buy a Modern Eagle V, merely suggesting I'd go a different route. I recently enquired about their custom shop doing a Paul's Guitar but with a wide-thin neck. Not available at any cost!

Kudos on the collection, dude! I'm not knocking anyone who would buy a Modern Eagle V, merely suggesting I'd go a different route. I recently enquired about their custom shop doing a Paul's Guitar but with a wide-thin neck. Not available at any cost!

You can’t buy one and have the PTC change the neck profile?

This was a PS request? Sounds very unusual to get a neck profile turned down.

That was pretty funny video, love the capers getting sneaked into room first

I'd have any of them but prefer the yellow

Oh, yeah, I wasn’t upset at what you said at all; just wanted folks to understand that the PS runs are still pretty darn special.

It’s kinda just semantics but...

I feel what they call the Private Stock stuff should be for people that wanna build their own burger, and the limited runs where PRSh (and team) spec them out should be called something else, like they do with the Collection program.

I dunno. The woods all come from the Private Stock stash (which I think is where the name originates); the PS team makes them; no PS corners are cut; some of the models introduced new innovations (such as the 20th PSAnniPS that was the first with the 594 scale length, etc).

Since the basic difference is who spec’d the guitars, I’m perfectly happy to have that be Paul Smith instead of me, or some other Joe Schmoe. No question in my mind that they’re more desirable for me, than what I might spec.

On the other hand, if you want to name them Harold, I’ll still like them a whole lot. ;)

Alas there hasn’t been a new Collection run for such a long time. I hope they do come up with something. Find some exotic kickass wood and wow us!

This was a PS request? Sounds very unusual to get a neck profile turned down.

When speaking to my dealer we speculated it should be an easy enough request - build a Paul's Guitar but stick a wide-thin neck on it. On one hand you'd think it shouldn't add much to the cost but then it could be an extra 25% but when they contacted the PRS rep it appears that option is not possible. We therefore presume any deviation from 'stock' means it's no longer a 'Paul's Guitar'. Nevermind, just means I can spend the money on other things!

It’s not an option on Core, but I’m sure you can get any neck profile in Private Stock.

That idea wasn't suggested by the dealer or rep. Anyway, a core Paul's Guitar would be at the upper limit of what I'm prepared to pay for a single guitar so going the Private Stock road would likey be far too much (my playing abilities hardly warrant the way-cheaper guitars I've already got!).

That idea wasn't suggested by the dealer or rep. Anyway, a core Paul's Guitar would be at the upper limit of what I'm prepared to pay for a single guitar so going the Private Stock road would likey be far too much (my playing abilities hardly warrant the way-cheaper guitars I've already got!).
Maybe try a different dealer? I changed from a Pattern neck to the Pattern Vintage neck carve on the P245 and even added a Trem...

164-FE635-60-BD-41-FA-8134-C6-A0-BE6-EF3-C1.jpg

Maybe try a different dealer? I changed from a Pattern neck to the Pattern Vintage neck carve on the P245 and even added a Trem...

Whichever dealer I went to here in the UK would still have to go through the same rep so I'd assume the same answer. Not the end of the world. The way I see it is I've saved some money for now and you never know what they'll bring out next.

Whichever dealer I went to here in the UK would still have to go through the same rep so I'd assume the same answer. Not the end of the world. The way I see it is I've saved some money for now and you never know what they'll bring out next.
I bought a PS from the UK, pretty sure the reverse works too :)

I bought a PS from the UK, pretty sure the reverse works too :)

It does, but incoming to UK means that Royal Mail (in collusion with Border force and HMRC) will grab your purchase and hold it for ransom. I just bought some nut files from StewMac. Royal Mail added the expected Customs and VAT (tax) charges on. On top of that there is a 'handling fee'. The £20.11 total had to be paid (online in my case) or they send it back to USA. I paid up and agreed the delivery day offered. I waited in all day and it never arrived. I called them 3 times over the next couple of days, waiting on-hold a total of 2 hours & 15 minutes.

They didnt know what happened to my package and couldn't tell me why it wasn't delivered.
They acted offended when I asked if they wanted any more money. They promised to investigate and report back after a month. The files were delivered a couple of days ago without notice or explanation.

I consider myself lucky. Order a guitar from overseas? :eek: Yes if I couldn't get any other way and factor in the expected 25-30% surcharge.

Back