Modern Eagle V vs Paul's Guitar

It arrived. It's gorgeous. And I do not regret it one tiny bit. :)

fJtUaF6.jpg

And she fits in with the rest of the family :)

uNjgeCB.jpg

What are the details of the Pyromania guitar? That is cool.
Thanks! It's a custom build from Dan Lawrence's GMP guitars with the paint done by him. The Jackson PC1 Adrenalize next to it was part of a limited run he painted that I stumbled across at CMC.

The art was the big thing (on the Destroyer-type shape)...but Dan found a great piece of swamp ash. The non-chambered body was only 4lbs and the entire guitar is just over 7!

Specs -

Body Wood: SwampAsh | Top Wood: Maple
Neck Wood: Maple 3 Piece
Right Handed
Neck Shape: Slim Taper (60s LP feel)
Fingerboard: Ebony
Inlay: Block inlays
Inlay Material: Pearl - We offer Diamonds or Block
Logo: Pearl
Nut: GraphTech.TUSQ.Ivory
Fret Wire: Medium.6105
Body Binding: YES Neck Binding: YES Headstock Binding: YES
Binding Color: Creme/Ivroid
Hardware: Gold
Tuners: Sperzel
Strap Button: Schaller
Strings: D'AddarioXL 9-42
Bridge: String through
Pickup: Duncan *SH-11 Custom Custom Bridge & *SH-1 '59 Neck
Pickup Rout: Standard.2Hum
Pickup Rings: Black
Pickup Selector: 3.Way.Toggle
Volume Tone: 1V1T
Custom Finish: **Def Leppard Pyromania cover art
Case: Custom G&G Case

I would love to see more photos of that 408.

I would love to see more photos of that 408.
408? I have a PS Pauls Guitar (the green burst) and an ME-V (next to the Paul's, between it and the Custom 22 Semi-Hollow).

Which did you want to see more of? I'd be happy to post pics!

How're you liking the modern eagle? I've just ordered one myself. The same one, actually. Was on the fence between it and a 408!

How're you liking the modern eagle? I've just ordered one myself. The same one, actually. Was on the fence between it and a 408!

I like it a lot. I think I realized that you have to treat it more like a Strat than a humbucking guitar. Once I started thinking about it that way and found the sweet spot with my amps, it made a huge difference.

I was on the fence about the ME-V vs 408, too...and a deal on the ME-V dropped in my lap, so decision was made for me. :) I still wouldn't mind having a 408, but between the ME-V and my Paul's Guitar, I might have that area covered.

I'm no expert, but I can share some thoughts. The Modern Eagle V does have some similarities to Paul's Guitar, like the additional single coil and the 250/500 toggle. But there are differences too!
The Modern Eagle V has its own unique tonal character and playability that might appeal to you. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and what you're looking for in a guitar.
If you're curious about exploring new options, it might be worth checking out the Modern Eagle V. But remember, your Paul's Guitar is awesome, too, so don't rush into any decisions.
I've been dabbling in guitar playing too, and I found some cool tips at https://staytunedguitar.com/. It might be useful for us guitar learners.

Last edited:
It's funny how sometimes life makes decisions for us, and it's great that the deal on the ME-V dropped in your lap! Sometimes, fate knows what's best for our guitar collections!

Between the ME-V and your Paul's Guitar, it sounds like you've got that area fully covered! Both guitars must bring their unique charm to your playing style.

By the way, if you're looking for cool accessories or gear for your guitars, check out ironageaccessories.com! They might have some nifty stuff to enhance your playing experience even more!

Last edited:
I sold my Paul’s after I got an ME-V.
While my playing certainly can’t justify this level of selling and purchasing and while I thoroughly enjoy my Paul’s Guitar, the core MEV is what I would have bought if it was available in January ‘22. Why? Well, I really enjoy positions 2 and 4 on my Strats/Silver Sky and sometimes miss the option. But then and as you see, I could just exercise option c) which is to pick up a Strat So, it’s certainly a high quality ‘problem’!! Every now and then, I add a few MEVs to my watch list on Reverb …… getting to this stage is akin to Russian Roulette, as I have come to find and starts the march down a path of inevitability

While my playing certainly can’t justify this level of selling and purchasing and while I thoroughly enjoy my Paul’s Guitar, the core MEV is what I would have bought if it was available in January ‘22. Why? Well, I really enjoy positions 2 and 4 on my Strats/Silver Sky and sometimes miss the option. But then and as you see, I could just exercise option c) which is to pick up a Strat So, it’s certainly a high quality ‘problem’!! Every now and then, I add a few MEVs to my watch list on Reverb …… getting to this stage is akin to Russian Roulette, as I have come to find and starts the march down a path of inevitability
Definitely feel like my MEV Wood Library was worth the investment! Great guitars. My only wish would be an original wide field 408 pickup in the bridge!

Hello everyone. I want to get a solid body guitar "for life"... I have a PRS Hollowbody II Piezo. Fantastic guitar! That's why I'm looking for PRS again. In the current band I need more rock sounds, the archtop guitar is not the best for that. I will consider DGT - Paul's G, 408 or eventually MEV. Let's say money wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know if it's worth it to have so many sound combinations with MEV.
I can have second hand:
DGT - $3,750
P'G - $2,850
408 - $2,600
New:
MEV - $5,500

Or another brand :)

Thanks everyone for the advice, I can't try all guitars...

Hello everyone. I want to get a solid body guitar "for life"... I have a PRS Hollowbody II Piezo. Fantastic guitar! That's why I'm looking for PRS again. In the current band I need more rock sounds, the archtop guitar is not the best for that. I will consider DGT - Paul's G, 408 or eventually MEV. Let's say money wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know if it's worth it to have so many sound combinations with MEV.
I can have second hand:
DGT - $3,750
P'G - $2,850
408 - $2,600
New:
MEV - $5,500

If you don't want the trem and want to change tunings easily just go with the Paul's Guitar. It's great. Rocks hard. 408 is a great choice too.

I can have second hand:
DGT - $3,750
P'G - $2,850
408 - $2,600
New:
MEV - $5,500

To me, the DGT is a completely different sort of guitar from the Pauls, 408, and MEV. To me, it feels and sounds more vintage Gibson (which, IIRC, the pickups were based on a set of his 335 pickups, but I could be wrong about that.)

I don't think there's any going wrong with the others. (Well, with any of them, really.) I want a DGT but my gut check is that it's closer to your Hollowbody than you'd expect. For general rock playing, I've found myself picking up my Custom 22 that has an HFS bridge humbucker. It's a great all around rock guitar for humbucker sounds.

I found that once I started treating my MEV like a Strat and not a Les Paul that I really bonded with it. The Paul's is somewhere in the middle of LP and Strat territory for me. I'm not sure I can compare the Paul's to anything. It's it's own beast entirely, but it can cover a lot of musical territory,

I think...the 408 might be the best compromise out of all of those, IMHO. I still might eventually end up with one even though I have a Pauls and MEV. :)

J

Back