Modern Eagle V vs. Custom 24-08

phoenixbt

Looking for some advice from those who own some of the different models here. I currently have a 594, DGT, and a SSH and I’m looking to add one more. I’m between a modern eagle V or a CU24-08.

I’m trying to figure out which would give me more tonal options/more different sounds than what I currently have. The modern eagle seems the choice just for variety of sounds in general, but will there be a lot of overlap with the SSH? Or are the two pretty different?

Any thoughts are appreciated…just don’t say buy both for the sake of my wallet

I don’t have a MEV but I do have a 24-08, SSH and 594. For me personally I’d take the 24-08 because it’s the only one with 24 frets and for the style of music I play it fits perfectly. The MEV is going to be more versatile but the SSH covers enough for me, plus I’ve never been a big single coil guy anyways.

What the Modern Eagle has that you don't currently have is Paul's 408 pickups. They sound different from standard humbuckers, and in my experience are also the most beautiful sounding pickups on the market. I have a very similar guitar to the MEV in the 20th Private Stock Anniversary Ltd. Unless you need 24 frets, or want a little more midrange focus that's characteristic of a CU24, that's how I'd roll.

But I speak only for myself, and your needs might be vastly different. For example, I don't play Metal or other really heavy rock styles. I play amps with vintage type tones on the 'edge of breakup'. You might be playing way different stuff.

When I listen back to back to tracks I did with a variety of my PRS guitars, the ones that stand out as the most different are the SSH, the 20th PS with the Paul's 408 pickups, and my 594 Soapbar.

Nonetheless, I wonder if 'overlap' is even a thing worth fretting over (you see what I did there ;)). Yes, there have been times when I've also been afflicted with the idea that overlap matters, and I've sold and bought guitars to cure the 'problem'. I regret some of that.

The main reason my tracks with various guitars sound different is that they each inspire me to play differently nuanced things. That's what justifies my owning them. Not the slight sonic differences. Each guitar has its own personality, even if they're all more or less peas in a pod.

If your heart is set on something very different sounding, a Hollowbody, a Silver Sky, or a Starla will give you 'different' to a far greater degree than what you're considering.

Last edited:
What the Modern Eagle has that you don't currently have is Paul's 408 pickups. They sound different from standard humbuckers, and in my experience are also the most beautiful sounding pickups on the market. I have a very similar guitar to the MEV in the 20th Private Stock Anniversary Ltd. Unless you need 24 frets, or want a little more midrange focus that's characteristic of a CU24, that's how I'd roll.

But I speak only for myself, and your needs might be vastly different. For example, I don't play Metal or other really heavy rock styles. I play amps with vintage type tones on the 'edge of breakup'. You might be playing way different stuff.

When I listen back to back to tracks I did with a variety of my PRS guitars, the ones that stand out as the most different are the SSH, the 20th PS with the Paul's 408 pickups, and my 594 Soapbar.

Nonetheless, I wonder if 'overlap' is even a thing worth fretting over (you see what I did there ;)). Yes, there have been times when I've also been afflicted with the idea that overlap matters, and I've sold and bought guitars to cure the 'problem'. I regret some of that.

The main reason my tracks with various guitars sound different is that they each inspire me to play differently nuanced things. That's what justifies my owning them. Not the slight sonic differences. Each guitar has its own personality, even if they're all more or less peas in a pod.

If your heart is set on something very different sounding, a Hollowbody, a Silver Sky, or a Starla will give you 'different' to a far greater degree than what you're considering.
Okay cool, sounds like the pickups will be different enough between the SSH and MEV then. Forgot to mention I have a silver sky as well. I don’t play anything too heavy/don’t necessarily need the 24 frets, just was considering the CU24 for the different sounds.

How do find the split sounds on the SSH vs. ME? Are the 408’s better for that?

if you're really looking for something unique to round out a tonal palette look for the MEV with the swamp ash back. you might also try a studio. i cant speak to the new ones but the original ones with the 57/08 neck pickup paired with the narrowfields is sonically "different". you might also consider korina or all-hog bodies. happy hunting

Okay cool, sounds like the pickups will be different enough between the SSH and MEV then. Forgot to mention I have a silver sky as well. I don’t play anything too heavy/don’t necessarily need the 24 frets, just was considering the CU24 for the different sounds.

How do find the split sounds on the SSH vs. ME? Are the 408’s better for that?
I love playing clean... 408TCI pups are beautiful and dirty up very well. listen to them in these two videos.

I was waiting for that response :cool: You're not wrong haha...I'm kind of leaning towards the MEV now at first though. I wasn't sure if there was going to be a lot of overlap between the SSH and MEV, but I think it sounds like the answer is no and go and buy one :)
Correct. The ME-V is the MOST convincing split/tap of any PRS guitar. I sold my Paul's Guitar and 509 after living with the ME-V for a couple of months. They became redundant. I'd also say that, IMO, the sounds of the SSH and 24-08 would be more similar to each other. Just my 2 cents.

For quite a while now, i’ve reached for the MEV 99% of the time over any of the others mentioned here.
To me it has the best tone and feel.

if you're really looking for something unique to round out a tonal palette look for the MEV with the swamp ash back. you might also try a studio. i cant speak to the new ones but the second ones with the 57/08 neck pickup paired with the narrowfields is sonically "different". you might also consider korina or all-hog bodies. happy hunting
FIFY :p

Correct. The ME-V is the MOST convincing split/tap of any PRS guitar. I sold my Paul's Guitar and 509 after living with the ME-V for a couple of months. They became redundant. I'd also say that, IMO, the sounds of the SSH and 24-08 would be more similar to each other. Just my 2 cents.
I find that the SSH has wonderful split coil tones, too. But the OP already has one.

So I tracked down a 35th anniversary CU24 and it arrives next week. Can’t wait! Thanks for all the advice here

As it’s in transit, I’m looking at modern eagles….we all knew where this is going lol. Can anyone comment on how a swamp ash MEV compares to one with a Mahogany back? Seeing those options out there right now as far as wood library runs

So I tracked down a 35th anniversary CU24 and it arrives next week. Can’t wait! Thanks for all the advice here

As it’s in transit, I’m looking at modern eagles….we all knew where this is going lol. Can anyone comment on how a swamp ash MEV compares to one with a Mahogany back? Seeing those options out there right now as far as wood library runs
Be sure to look at Eddies Guitars for the ME-V selection, they have like 14 or more in stock right now by my count! Some truly incredible pieces there!! Sorry but I can't help you on how they sound, never played one!!!

i have both and i much prefer the mahogany back better. With that said, I’m not exactly comparing apples to apples. The Mahogany back has a maple neck with Brazilian board. The swamp ash back has a EIR neck with African Blackwood board. The swamp ash is also a semi-hollow…

What is a 20th Private Stock Anniversary Ltd and what are y’all calling an SSH? Thanks

What is a 20th Private Stock Anniversary Ltd and what are y’all calling an SSH? Thanks
The 20th Anniversary PS has 2 Paul’s pickups and a Narrowfield in the middle. The SSH was originally a limited edition in 2018 (?), and joined the Core line last year. It was officially the Custom 22 Special Semi Hollow Ltd. The Ltd version has two 58/15MT (Multi Tap) pickups and a Narrowfield in the middle. The Core version replaces the MT pickups with the LT version. I had a Ltd, and would say the MT had the most convincing sing coil soundo.

The 20th Anniversary PS has 2 Paul’s pickups and a Narrowfield in the middle. The SSH was originally a limited edition in 2018 (?), and joined the Core line last year. It was officially the Custom 22 Special Semi Hollow Ltd. The Ltd version has two 58/15MT (Multi Tap) pickups and a Narrowfield in the middle. The Core version replaces the MT pickups with the LT version. I had a Ltd, and would say the MT had the most convincing sing coil soundo.

Thanks. I was getting hung up on SSH = single single hum.

Back