Modern Eagle V owners: is the 250/500 switch important?

dilznik

If you have an older model with the extra switch, do you use it?

Why did PRS get rid of it?

Also, does anyone know why they didn’t bevel the switches like other models with mini toggles?

I had pretty much asked the same question over here--perhaps some of the comments/answers will help you:

I thought it useful. It was very subtle. But only when using the single coil tones. I could tell it clean and dirty but not at edge of breakup. Again, it was subtle but I liked it. If I could, I'd add something similar to my other guitars.

They most likely deleted it because the bang wasn't worth the buck. You could get similar tones by rolling back your tone knob in single coil mode. How many controls does one guitar need?

How many controls does one guitar need?

Is this too many?

uixxsgdvp0bscq5au5y9.jpg

My 2022 still has the switch. I like it's subtle change, especially with cleans and early breakup.

I thought it useful. It was very subtle. But only when using the single coil tones. I could tell it clean and dirty but not at edge of breakup. Again, it was subtle but I liked it. If I could, I'd add something similar to my other guitars.

It's easy to add to any guitar. Use a 500k push/pull pot for your volume control. Wire up a resistor to the switch and boom.

Mine has it and I'll agree with the other posters here that the effect is subtle. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I were starting over.

I've heard that they ditched it for a 300k pot because it achieves the sound they were aiming for without the complexity of another switch, but my own speculation is there was at least some aspect of streamlining production involved in the decision.

After tried the EXP MEV through a tube amp, with people eyewithnessing me flipping that pot value switch about half a hundred times, we agreed that there's almost zero tonal tonal difference that's audible to me and people there.

So I conclude that it's not important at all. And to be frank, it's more like a marketing gimmick feature than something necessary or useful for actual playing situations, period.

Mine doesn't have the extra switch and I can't imagine why it would it need it. I think if that switch made that much of a difference they would't have discontinued it.

In my opinion a wonderful piece of experimentation but not necessary. I spent a lot of time A Bing it on my ME V and it was so subtle I couldn’t notice it if I wasn’t paying attention. Maybe my ears aren’t subtle enough.
All that said the MEV is a great guitar

After tried the EXP MEV through a tube amp, with people eyewithnessing me flipping that pot value switch about half a hundred times, we agreed that there's almost zero tonal tonal difference that's audible to me and people there.

So I conclude that it's not important at all. And to be frank, it's more like a marketing gimmick feature than something necessary or useful for actual playing situations, period.
Same setup, and I thought I heard a slight difference. That might have just been my ego calling though…

It’s not a game changer in my book. But I also like my SSH better, so please take that into account.

Back