Modern Eagle Quatro vs 594

Alejandro Alvarado

Hi,
Anyone has had the privilege of owning or playing both models. I own an ME Quatro and it's absolutely amazing. From the videos and reviews I see a lot of similarities with the 594. Anyone with objective comments?

Last edited:
I had an MEQ and have a GOM 594. Objective distinctions can be found on the spec sheets. Subjectively speaking I prefer the tone of the hog neck, the 2V 2T configuration and the familiar placement of the pick up selector. IMO there are sufficient differences to justify owning both.

I had a ME Quatro and I have a 594 with a rosewood neck. The 594 in my opinion closes the gap on what I have looked for in a PRS guitar. It is the Quatro and more. If i can get my hands on a 594 soapbar I feel certain I will no longer miss my Quatro.

I had an MEQ and have a GOM 594. Objective distinctions can be found on the spec sheets. Subjectively speaking I prefer the tone of the hog neck, the 2V 2T configuration and the familiar placement of the pick up selector. IMO there are sufficient differences to justify owning both.

Good to know. I have no plans of getting rid of the MEQ, I want to know if it is worth owing both!

I had a rosewood 594 and a 2011 Quatro. I like the Quatro better but I am one of those weird ones that play the split coils very much. The rosewood neck is a tad brighter but with lush sustain so that goes great with split coil tones the 53/10's have down.
I like the carve better onthe 594 asymmetrical and nicely fat round at the nut. I like the simpler controls of the Quatro. I especially like the full 25" scale length for playing above the 12th fret. The 594 has a neat feel with the neck and bridge design to the body being different. It is really great sustain wise, thicker body. They are both great guitars. I would love a 594 type with a 25.5" scale Quatro controls and 53/10's. The clarity of the brighter PU's are inspiring except they can show mistakes a bit more than the more compressed, warmer PAF tones of the McCarty. I miss them both. I got a few more rosewood neck guitars since those two and I scored a mint 2005 McCarty rosewood neck that I do not think I will sell, it is that good.
BTW: There was a tobacco burst Quatro for $2,750 last week for sale.

I had a rosewood 594 and a 2011 Quatro.

I like the way you describe things! Have you played an ME1 much, and if so, how would you compare the 594 and Quatro to it? It's the only RW neck guitar I have, and I'm hooked.
I'm also interested in the differences between RP pickups and the pickups in later Modern Eagles, if you can comment.

Thanks!

I too am interested in the answer to this question.

I have a Quatro and love it (for the reasons other posters have mentioned), and have been very curious about the 594. Would love to experience the same PRS fit and finish on a shorter scale, mahogany necked guitar. My only concern is the neck on the 594. Seems these are in the 0.90 at the 1st fret range, which I have found is almost too large for me (e.g., in an R9).

If you like a little thicker neck, I would think the scale, mahogany neck, and new pickups are more than enough to justify owning both!

The 594 neck has narrower string spacing/nut width than the ivoroid bind edge Quatro. I love that fat 594 neck and I still miss the old mid 90's Wide Fat necks too.
The carve moves and that asymmetry is amazing. It doesn't feel fat at all up at the 12th fret. My only minor complaint, as I said before, that chords and partial chords way up at the 12 fret is too tight of fret spacing for my old fingers. Yet that .900" on the top is perfection for hard rock / cowboy chords.

I have never tried an ME1 but I might get one from all the praise here.
I have had 2 Quatro's and am in the market for another, back to stop tail. My first one I sold and emailed the buyer 3 months later to buy it back for more but he loves it (with a stop tail). I then bought a trem one and realized for the brighter neck and 53/10's I need the tele stop tail after all. . I have had 6 or 7 rosewood neck PRS's all told. They have a bright, yet lush, long sustain. ....different in a way. Not that wonderful, compressed, warm mahogany neck tone. Plus the feel is superb comparatively.

Last edited:
Back