Modern Eagle I: RPs vs 57/08s

Skeeter

I may be ME1 shopping, and was curious about people’s experiences, preferences between the originals with RP pups vs the ones they released about 5 years ago, some with 57/08s.

My understanding is that the RPs are hotter, but I know little else (does anyone have the resistance values from that old chart?)

I’ve had 57/08s, and sometimes find them too weak and a little bright in the bridge. But I’ve never had them with a RW neck, and certainly not with whatever pixie dust magic used on ME1’s that make them so valuable ;)

Any info and thoughts would be appreciated!

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-verdict-on-me-is-57-08s-or-rps.3351/

Found that old thread that says the RPs are thicker and fatter sounding than the 57/08s but that the 57/08s are more articulate. Despite all of that, there seem to more votes for 59/09... so go figure.

I’ve never tried the RPs or the 59/09s but I do have a McCarty with a solid Brazzy neck... and the 57/08s were articulate but boomy in that guitar (the Brazzy neck magnified the boom). I never found the 57/08s to be bright, but if they sound that way to your ears, then I’d probably try the RPs.

I love RP pickups. Playing Rider’s, now Bodia’s MEII was a game changer for me and PRS pickups. I keep an eye out for a set second hand that I can stick someplace.

I think 57/08s are a lot fatter and thicker.
The RPs were the weak link in the MEs IMO. They felt loose and sloppy on the bottom end, and not articulate on the top. I had 3 ME1s a ME 2 and lots of guitars with 57/08s for comparison. However, lower out put pups can work well with Brazzy necks to help soften the harder "ping" you get on the attack of the note.
YMMV.

I think 57/08s are a lot fatter and thicker.
The RPs were the weak link in the MEs IMO. They felt loose and sloppy on the bottom end, and not articulate on the top. I had 3 ME1s a ME 2 and lots of guitars with 57/08s for comparison. However, lower out put pups can work well with Brazzy necks to help soften the harder "ping" you get on the attack of the note.
YMMV.

Interesting. I feel like you and I share a lot of preferences pickup and PRS guitar wise (to a degree) and was really knocked out by the aforementioned MEII and RP pickups. Granted, my experience is limited to that one MEII, so that particular guitar may be an anomaly, but I thought pretty highly of those particular pickups.

Edit: Of course I’m talking mostly about the neck pickup.

Reactions: Tag
I really, really like the RP pickups in my ME1. The guitar can go from a very nice clean sound to a blistering lead sound just by turning the volume knob.

57/08s blow them away. I have multiple ME1s, and all the RPs are residing in the case pockets. Mine have 59/09s for the most part, though.

Sorry Ralph; you’re a great guy. ;):p
I’m glad you gave up one of them!

First time my wife and I met Paul (when I bought my McManus from him), Ralph spent like an hour talking with us. Great guy indeed!

I have a few ME1s over the years I have tried all the 5x series pickups and all have eventually got their RPs back I find the trick with them is pickup height too high and they become harsh and muddy but find the sweet spot and they are magical, the other point I noticed was all my ME1s originally had 9s (my later PRS had mostly 10s) while I have had 10s on ME1s anything heavier and the neck pickup especially needs to be set very low for a clear sound( more string metal = more pickup output). I also have a spare set and have struggled to find another guitar they work well in, I have tried them in multiple PRS including CU24 & PS SC-58 with RW necks I can only assume it is something to do with the very dense maple tops that only the ME1s had.

Last edited:
Back