Modern Eagle I Private Stock

Louisguitar

Hi all,

I own a faded emerald green 1991 Signature, the guitar is in museum condition, has a spectacular quilted top, but I know that this color is the least appreciated by collectors.
Now I have the opportunity to trade it for a rare blue matteo quilted top 2006 modern eagle 1 also in museum condition.
The rarity is that it is a private stock.
I have never seen a private stock ME1.
The only peculiarities that differentiate it from a standard ME are the color, a very nice and regular quilted top, the birds in rippled abalone, the writing behind the headstock and the certificate.
Of course, the seller requires a hefty balance.
What do you think about this?
Can it be a good investment?

Thanks

Last edited:
There were a hair over 1,000 Sig's made. Private Stock (PS) guitars are around 10,000 these days with no end in sight. And while there is no doubt that PS guitars are state-of-the art for PRS, the same can be said of Sigs, relative to their era. If that doesn't answer your question and you really want to overthink it, read on. Just remember, you asked for opinions.

First, I would never call a Private Stock guitar 'rare' unless:
1) It was part of a small numbered run of unique models (like the Paul's 28, the Violin McCarty, etc.)
2) It was made with components that are difficult or impossible to obtain and/or use (like Mammoth Ivory, Pernambuco, old-growth Brazilian Rosewood, etc.)

With few exceptions (and there are a few), you can go to PRS and have any existing PRS reproduced; Private Stock or otherwise. I'll never forget the guy who paid big money to have a specific inlay created for his PS and then watched helplessly as PRS made a small production run (via Private Stock) with that same inlay. His unique PS guitar was no longer a one-off and it completely ruined the vibe for him. Dude was pretty angry. A few Paul's 28 buyers felt the same way about the Violin McCarty model. But that is the nature of the PS program.

Let me drive that point home in a way that is a little more specific to your question. You can have the PS team make you a copy of a Modern Eagle 1 or a truly rare production guitar. When they're done, you may receive an instrument that is superior to the original in every way. But that PS will never be the original. This isn't a Private Stock problem. It's not even a PRS problem. No matter how much I dig my made-to-measure '59 Les Paul Reissue, it will never - not ever - be worth as much as the original.

So, for all the opinions noted above, I would expect a regular production Modern Eagle 1 (ME1) to be worth more than a Private Stock ME 1 (even if the PS version has a Brazilian Rosewood neck). I'd make an exception for a Private Stock ME1 that pre-dates the production ME1 run. Either way, I believe production ME1's will continue to out-pace most (but not all) PS guitars in value. But you're considering a PS-made copy of the more desirable (in my opinion) production ME1.

As you already noted, early Sigs in Vintage Yellow seem to hold their value better than those in green or the later years which were caught-up in the transition from Brazilian Rosewood to Indian Rosewood fretboards and from Sweet Switches to tone pots. Still, you are offering-up a production Sig in perfect condition. That Sig is probably worth about as much as the PS-copy of an ME1 in today's market. If the PS-copy of the ME1 is worth more than an original Sig, it isn't by much. So unless that PS has something pretty special going on that we aren't tracking, it is my opinion that your Sig will exceed the market value of a PS as the years go by.

Regarding your query about this guitar being "a good investment", there are countless debates across the internet on that topic. General consensus seems to be that your money is better invested elsewhere (like the market, real estate, bonds, etc.). Through my lens, investing in guitars is a crap-shoot that is too heavily rooted in internet hype. That doesn't make the gains (or losses) any less real when they happen but it sure makes them tough to predict. You could just buy them all (looking at you @11top ) and hope one of them gets the nod but that's a game not many can afford to play. Buy a guitar because it sends fiery sparks of joy through your neural pathways. If it doesn't, keep moving.

TL/DR: I don't think I'd trade a clean '91 Sig for a PS-copy of an ME1 unless it was quite special and sure to remain that way (like the Sig).

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with Hans, I would not trade a '91 Signature for a Private Stock--that is, for investment or collector value. Though, if we're just talking about, "Which guitar do you prefer and/or would suit you better to PLAY and enjoy?" Well then sir, the world is your oyster and none of us could tell you which one speaks to you the best. There is no wrong answer to that question.

Yep, I'm on the Hans train on this one. No way I would make that trade. Plus, the way I read your OP, it sounds like the guy with the PS wants cash considerations on top of the Sig. Nope. Nada. Done.

As with all PRS threads, this one would benefit from pics.

As for your question, personally, I just don't buy guitars as "investments". The thought of what they will be worth down the road is of absolutely no consequence to me...I simply buy them because they inspire me to create music. So I'm of little help in that department. Hans made some excellent, well worded points, though.

There were a hair over 1,000 Sig's made. Private Stock (PS) guitars are around 10,000 these days with no end in sight. And while there is no doubt that PS guitars are state-of-the art for PRS, the same can be said of Sigs, relative to their era. If that doesn't answer your question and you really want to overthink it, read on. Just remember, you asked for opinions.

First, I would never call a Private Stock guitar 'rare' unless:
1) It was part of a small numbered run of unique models (like the Paul's 28, the Violin McCarty, etc.)
2) It was made with components that are difficult or impossible to obtain and/or use (like Mammoth Ivory, Pernambuco, old-growth Brazilian Rosewood, etc.)

With few exceptions (and there are a few), you can go to PRS and have any existing PRS reproduced; Private Stock or otherwise. I'll never forget the guy who paid big money to have a specific inlay created for his PS and then watched helplessly as PRS made a small production run (via Private Stock) with that same inlay. His unique PS guitar was no longer a one-off and it completely ruined the vibe for him. Dude was pretty angry. A few Paul's 28 buyers felt the same way about the Violin McCarty model. But that is the nature of the PS program.

Let me drive that point home in a way that is a little more specific to your question. You can have the PS team make you a copy of a Modern Eagle 1 or a truly rare production guitar. When they're done, you may receive an instrument that is superior to the original in every way. But that PS will never be the original. This isn't a Private Stock problem. It's not even a PRS problem. No matter how much I dig my made-to-measure '59 Les Paul Reissue, it will never - not ever - be worth as much as the original.

So, for all the opinions noted above, I would expect a regular production Modern Eagle 1 (ME1) to be worth more than a Private Stock ME 1 (even if the PS version has a Brazilian Rosewood neck). I'd make an exception for a Private Stock ME1 that pre-dates the production ME1 run. Either way, I believe production ME1's will continue to out-pace most (but not all) PS guitars in value. But you're considering a PS-made copy of the more desirable (in my opinion) production ME1.

As you already noted, early Sigs in Vintage Yellow seem to hold their value better than those in green or the later years which were caught-up in the transition from Brazilian Rosewood to Indian Rosewood fretboards and from Sweet Switches to tone pots. Still, you are offering-up a production Sig in perfect condition. That Sig is probably worth about as much as the PS-copy of an ME1 in today's market. If the PS-copy of the ME1 is worth more than an original Sig, it isn't by much. So unless that PS has something pretty special going on that we aren't tracking, it is my opinion that your Sig will exceed the market value of a PS as the years go by.

Regarding your query about this guitar being "a good investment", there are countless debates across the internet on that topic. General consensus seems to be that your money is better invested elsewhere (like the market, real estate, bonds, etc.). Through my lens, investing in guitars is a crap-shoot that is too heavily rooted in internet hype. That doesn't make the gains (or losses) any less real when they happen but it sure makes them tough to predict. You could just buy them all (looking at you @11top ) and hope one of them gets the nod but that's a game not many can afford to play. Buy a guitar because it sends fiery sparks of joy through your neural pathways. If it doesn't, keep moving.

TL/DR: I don't think I'd trade a clean '91 Sig for a PS-copy of an ME1 unless it was quite special and sure to remain that way (like the Sig).

Ok, thank you very much and I will not trade in, I will keep the Signature, also because the owner of the ME wants a lot of money.

But I thought that since the guitar is from 2006, the period of issue of the standard ME, we could simply consider it an ME with better woods and built by the best luthiers, a special ME.
As it is written in the certificate.

Hard to beat the original - I’m biased toward the SCTs :)

64B8B4A3-91B2-4B9E-97D6-6594F4EC16E7.jpg

I had this PS made as my own take on the ME I formula - P245T with full Braz neck. Slightly shorter scale length with the Pattern Vintage neck carve. Plus a piezo with a slightly thicker body. PS team knocked it out of the park! This even weighs slightly less than the SCT ME I posted above. Everything I loved about the ME I was enhanced for what I like in this build.

But I never consider guitars investments. Investments are what helps me buy guitars :)

5150-C47-C-1-AE3-449-A-AB11-09-E6-EC9-BD90-A.jpg

Back